OT: Saban says A&M 'bought every player,' questions whether current NIL model is sustainable

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

OT: Saban says A&M 'bought every player,' questions whether current NIL model is sustainable

Post by FayetteDore »

He may be speaking the truth, especially the unsustainable part, but it's funny because Bammer is being outbid by oil-rich A&M.

ESPN: Alabama football coach Nick Saban says Texas A&M 'bought every player,' questions whether current NIL model is sustainable

Jimbo Fisher has responded, heatedly. Calls Saban's remarks "dispicable," calls him a "narcissist"!

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: Saban says A&M 'bought every player,' questions whether current NIL model is sustainable

Post by FayetteDore »

And now the SEC issues public reprimands against both Nick and Jimbo. :lol:

And maybe best of all, Lane Kiffin is having a field day tweeting about it all. Says that maybe "for the first time, I'm speechless." :lol: :lol:
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: OT: Saban says A&M 'bought every player,' questions whether current NIL model is sustainable

Post by mathguy »

In principle I agree with Saban ... but hearing the guy who touted his freshman QB's million+ dollar deal before he set foot on campus complain about other coaches paying too much for players is like ... like ... that time Calipari complained about the 1-and-done system in basketball.

"I hate it, I just happen to be better at it than everyone else" just isn't a powerful call for reform.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

FayetteDore wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:21 pm And now the SEC issues public reprimands against both Nick and Jimbo. :lol:

And maybe best of all, Lane Kiffin is having a field day tweeting about it all. Says that maybe "for the first time, I'm speechless." :lol: :lol:
Kiffin might want to keep his mouth shut about this topic...

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Agree with Saban that this current NIL model is not sustainable in keeping college football anywhere close to what we know. However, it is funny and ironic as hell to hear Saban say it.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

No one should dispute getting half of the 5 star players in the country is Alabama's birthright.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Brave New World of college sports. Wonder where we’ll end up. Maybe back to the true amateur model, Ivy like or even D-3 like. Or maybe payment at a flat rate for all athletes and the model stays closer to how it is today.
Any ideas?
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

dore74 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:10 am Brave New World of college sports. Wonder where we’ll end up. Maybe back to the true amateur model, Ivy like or even D-3 like. Or maybe payment at a flat rate for all athletes and the model stays closer to how it is today.
Any ideas?
My only "idea", and this is almost an "idea" that I would bet the farm on, is that neither the current system nor any changes made to that system will benefit Vanderbilt.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 pm My only "idea", and this is almost an "idea" that I would bet the farm on, is that neither the current system nor any changes made to that system will benefit Vanderbilt.
Yes. We’re absolutely hosed in this world being created.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

buffy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:31 pm
geeznotagain wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 pm My only "idea", and this is almost an "idea" that I would bet the farm on, is that neither the current system nor any changes made to that system will benefit Vanderbilt.
Yes. We’re absolutely hosed in this world being created.
One proposal Saban hinted at was just give every player on the roster a flat payment taken out of league revenue.
That could help Vanderbilt because the SEC player payment would probably be higher than other conferences - an edge in recruiting against for example Purdue or North Carolina.
The problem with this idea is that star players will de facto have a greater market value than the standard payout and we will back trying to police under the table payments again.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

No Virginia, college football with the NIL is not sustainable.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:39 am No Virginia, college football with the NIL is not sustainable.
So, here's the thing though. (any please keep in mind that I hate all this NIL and transfer portal crap)

Why isn't it?

Is the NCAA going to fold because they don't have violations to police since payments are legal? Are boosters going to stop offering money? Even though some coaches appear to be quitting because of the increased demands of college coaching, are schools going to be unable to fill coaching jobs that pay millions of dollars? Are fans, gullible sheep affected by group psychology that we are, going to stop rooting for their teams or collectively stop watching the NCAA tourney or the football championship game?

It all seems to me to be the kind of system that everyone will agree sucks in principle, but that could last for a long time since the people involved still continue to make boatloads of money.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

mathguy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:37 pm
geeznotagain wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:39 am No Virginia, college football with the NIL is not sustainable.
So, here's the thing though. (any please keep in mind that I hate all this NIL and transfer portal crap)

Why isn't it?

Is the NCAA going to fold because they don't have violations to police since payments are legal? Are boosters going to stop offering money? Even though some coaches appear to be quitting because of the increased demands of college coaching, are schools going to be unable to fill coaching jobs that pay millions of dollars? Are fans, gullible sheep affected by group psychology that we are, going to stop rooting for their teams or collectively stop watching the NCAA tourney or the football championship game?

It all seems to me to be the kind of system that everyone will agree sucks in principle, but that could last for a long time since the people involved still continue to make boatloads of money.
Yes, and it's not like the system just suddenly started sucking with NIL. College football has been a ruthless big business cloaked in a paper-thin pretense of amateurism and education for the entire 45 years I've been paying attention. If greed and corruption could kill college football it would have died years ago.

The only thing different now is that the players are getting a slice of the pie. You can deplore the effects of that all you want, but if you've been a fan all this time you can't suddenly claim you're morally opposed to pie.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

alathIN wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:25 am
mathguy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Why isn't it?

Yes, and it's not like the system just suddenly started sucking with NIL. College football has been a ruthless big business cloaked in a paper-thin pretense of amateurism and education for the entire 45 years I've been paying attention. If greed and corruption could kill college football it would have died years ago.

The only thing different now is that the players are getting a slice of the pie. You can deplore the effects of that all you want, but if you've been a fan all this time you can't suddenly claim you're morally opposed to pie.
Great summation here, "you can't suddenly claim you're morally opposed to the pie." LOVE THAT!!!
Locked Previous topicNext topic