ANOTHER DECOMMITTMENT?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Seadog73
Admiral

ANOTHER DECOMMITTMENT?

Post by Seadog73 »

I just got word from a family member who should know that 2023 QB Reece Mooney has decommitted. Has anyone else heard or seen anything about this? And my family member just sent me what looks like teh Twitter announcement from Mooney.

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: ANOTHER DECOMMITTMENT?

Post by Minoadoc »

he posted it today on twitter
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

This really doesn't scare me much. I'd much rather this happen now than late in the fall. It gives us plenty of time to explore other talent. And quite frankly, I really can't get that excited about someone who changes their mind so quickly. Please, don't commit unless that's what it actually represents.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Mooney's offer list had continued to grow despite his commitment to Vanderbilt last fall; other schools basically ignored that public pledge. This seems like a case of a recruit who had made a very early commitment realizing that he could have his pick of some other higher-profile schools.

Mooney was Vandy's first commitment for the 2023 class, and everyone thought his early commitment might lead others to cast their lot with the Dores; so much for that. But it's not the end of the world. There are a couple of local quarterbacks Vandy likes who might be better fits, depending on what direction Lynch decides to go with the offense this year. And last year, Lea had 3 or 4 early de-commitments and still ended up with a way above-average class. With camps coming up in June, the number of commitments is likely about to take off.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

It's funny to me how adults expect high school juniors (Class of '23 -- kids who are currently 15 or 16 -- to "commit" to where they'll be going to college -- and then to stick with their "commitment" despite potential changes in circumstances.

Regular high school students generally don't make their college choice until their senior year. And can change their minds anytime they want.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am It's funny to me how adults expect high school juniors (Class of '23 -- kids who are currently 15 or 16 -- to "commit" to where they'll be going to college -- and then to stick with their "commitment" despite potential changes in circumstances.

Regular high school students generally don't make their college choice until their senior year. And can change their minds anytime they want.
I don't think any of these athletes are "regular high school students"
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am It's funny to me how adults expect high school juniors (Class of '23 -- kids who are currently 15 or 16 -- to "commit" to where they'll be going to college -- and then to stick with their "commitment" despite potential changes in circumstances.

That's the thing. Don't commit early. Commit when you're ready to make a commitment. It's wishful thinking, I know. I just want the guys who know what they want. It certainly wasn't me at that age. So I'm not judging here. But for us to build something sturdy, I think we need to weigh maturity of character heavily at this point. Good luck quantifying that attribute. Though, if we have enough of those kids, the less mature kids will be lifted up.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

buffy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:07 pm

That's the thing. Don't commit early. Commit when you're ready to make a commitment. It's wishful thinking, I know. I just want the guys who know what they want. It certainly wasn't me at that age. So I'm not judging here. But for us to build something sturdy, I think we need to weigh maturity of character heavily at this point. Good luck quantifying that attribute. Though, if we have enough of those kids, the less mature kids will be lifted up.
But coaches (and fans) put tremendous pressure on them to commit.

I should go back and edit my first post. I don't really find it funny. I find it sad. Keep the assembly line of kids moving for adults' Saturday enjoyment. And profit.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

nt
Last edited by FayetteDore on Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

P on him. We will find someone better.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I know the #2 QB prospect out of Alabama, #14 overall, according to at least some services. Pro-style lefty.
He has a 4.0 out of one of the top 2 or 3 HS's in Alabama, mostly AP courses. 6'4" - 190. Started as a Jr, entering his senior year. Won a most accurate award in the Elite 11 regional in Nashville last weekend. Not a sniff from VU; most interest from the Ivy's and Ga. Tech. Hard to understand sometimes.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

They might be exceptional athletes with lots of talent, but they're still "regular high school students". To argue otherwise flies in the face of the long-held amateurism argument of the NCAA. They're high school kids trying to decide to go where to go to college. They have the right to consider their best option for college.

And buffy, I agree with a lot of what you post, but I would disagree that a decommitment demonstrates a lack of maturity. If anything, I think its at least as silly for coaches to try and procure a commitment from a 16 year old. Why don't we give coaches the blues over this and not the teenager? That's probably the part that burns me up the most. The kids are the ones who get a lot of the grief when its the adults who have set the kids up for these kinds of situations.

If the adults really wanted to make it fair to the kids and not have to worry about decommits, there would be an evaluation period (however long a school wants to spend evaluating a prospect), an actual recruiting period (start of senior year onward) and a commitment/signing period (last two weeks of March).

This would allow these guy's decisions to better line up with a regular college selection cycle. I'll challenge anyone to explain to me how this would hurt the game of college football. But there are many ways in which it would help the kids (and probably the schools too).
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

We shouldn't discount the impact of NIL money in players' decisions to commit, decommit and transfer. Vandy may be getting outbid for players.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

My comment about "regular student" is meant to mean us regular fans cannot begin to understand the difference between highly recruited high school student athletes and regular students, like most of us were. I cannot begin to understand the process they are in; therefore, it is impossible to make any judgement. Any opionions offered are made,I suspect, with the same insight I have - nil.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Doreknox wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:23 am...Vandy is/will be getting outbid for players.
FIFY
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 am
Doreknox wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:23 am...Vandy is/will be getting outbid for players.
FIFY
Speaking of, I think it's hilarious that Coach Saban is calling out A&M for having "bought every player" with NIL, given Bammer's own $8M NIL deals. He also says the current NIL model is "unsustainable," and I agree with him.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:25 am My comment about "regular student" is meant to mean us regular fans cannot begin to understand the difference between highly recruited high school student athletes and regular students, like most of us were. I cannot begin to understand the process they are in; therefore, it is impossible to make any judgement. Any opionions offered are made,I suspect, with the same insight I have - nil.
Fair enough. Fortunately I do have the perspective as a recruited and signed full scholarship college athlete. So I wasn't a regular student. High school kids are high school kids. This particular subset has a unique skill that offers them some unique opportunities, but they're just like their peers in so many ways. I also work at a school that sends players to play football at college. Our players have been in the choir, in school plays, terrific artists, all of that. So they have a lot in common with their fellow students. When they get to college, the differences start to shake out more distinctly.
Locked Previous topicNext topic