Follow up to Brent's post re: SEC scheduling format

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Follow up to Brent's post re: SEC scheduling format

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Assuming the SEC goes division-less when it becomes a 16-team league, I think the conference scheduling format is likely to be one of these four schemes:

3 permanent opponents, 5 rotating
4 permanent opponents, 4 rotating
3 permanent opponents, 6 rotating
4 permanent opponents, 5 rotating

Which do you prefer?

And assuming the Vols will be one of the permanent opponents, what other teams would you like to see on the Vanderbilt schedule every year?

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Follow up to Brent's post re: SEC scheduling format

Post by Seadog73 »

Geographically, it seems Ole Miss and Kentucky would be candidates. Yes, I know Tuscaloosa is closer than Oxford, but I do not want Bama as a permanent opponent, even though they will likely decline when Saban retires.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

3 permanent opponents, 5 rotating

Allows teams to keep 4 OOC games, with the resulting possibilities for a) wins b) interesting matchups with nearby teams AND intersectional games

Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss (yes, as Seadog said, Bammer is closer but Ole Miss is more to scale, and we're not masochists after all 8-) ).
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Seadog73 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:59 am Geographically, it seems Ole Miss and Kentucky would be candidates. Yes, I know Tuscaloosa is closer than Oxford, but I do not want Bama as a permanent opponent, even though they will likely decline when Saban retires.
I also expect the rest of the league would howl if the league's strongest program in this century was matched up annually against its weakest.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

I would prefer any option that only has us with 8, not 9 SEC games.

If the SEC goes division-less, how will the conference have a championship game? I understood that the championship game option was only available for conferences with two divisions.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

PeteFox wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:53 pm I would prefer any option that only has us with 8, not 9 SEC games.

If the SEC goes division-less, how will the conference have a championship game? I understood that the championship game option was only available for conferences with two divisions.
There is a proposed rule that would drop the divisional requirement and allow the two "best" teams to meet in a conference championship game.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I think pods of four, where you play three permanent opponents every year makes the most mathematical sense. If you expand to nine SEC games each year, the 3-6 rotating schedule makes it possible to play every other school home and home over four years, which meets that objective.

But there are problems with every proposal. Nine SEC games every year is Murderer's Row (I'd be in favor of that-- sorry, Pete-- it would give season ticket holders more bang for their buck).

How do you pick the 2 SECCG teams? You might have Alabama and Pod A and Georgia in Pod B who didn't play each other and went 9-0, but only one can advance to the championship. Or, you pick the two best records in the league, but tie-breakers might still be needed. (Set up a committee to rank them as is currently done for the CFP? Yeah, that'll work.) :shock:

And I would guess that South Carolina, Kentucky, and UT would probably be the permanent opponents.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

BrentVU wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:54 pm I think pods of four, where you play three permanent opponents every year makes the most mathematical sense. If you expand to nine SEC games each year, the 3-6 rotating schedule makes it possible to play every other school home and home over four years, which meets that objective.

But there are problems with every proposal. Nine SEC games every year is Murderer's Row (I'd be in favor of that-- sorry, Pete-- it would give season ticket holders more bang for their buck).

How do you pick the 2 SECCG teams? You might have Alabama and Pod A and Georgia in Pod B who didn't play each other and went 9-0, but only one can advance to the championship. Or, you pick the two best records in the league, but tie-breakers might still be needed. (Set up a committee to rank them as is currently done for the CFP? Yeah, that'll work.) :shock:

And I would guess that South Carolina, Kentucky, and UT would probably be the permanent opponents.
Could be KY, Arkansas, and Missouri. Or TN, KY and Ark. Or Mizzou, Ky, and TN. Who says they all have to be the closest. East would be SC, FL, GA, and AU, but I would think AU and AL would howl at that.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

The number of possibilities, while not infinite, is almost endless. I expect that there is no solution that will satisfy everyone, or even a majority. I think they will eventually wind up with two 8-team divisions, with teams playing fewer that every other team in the division. Makes for some interesting tie-breakers for the championship game, though.
Anyway, it won't be for long. The NIL problems and others are going to irrevocably fracture the college football landscape beyond recognition. Who knows what it will look like.
Locked Previous topicNext topic