The Athletic (premium): Vanderbilt football seeks progress in Year 2 under Clark Lea after ‘humble beginnings’

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

The Athletic (premium): Vanderbilt football seeks progress in Year 2 under Clark Lea after ‘humble beginnings’

Post by BrentVU »

Joe Rexrode takes a deep dive into the state of the program coming out of spring. It's well worth reading if you have a subscription.

The Athletic: Vanderbilt football seeks progress in Year 2 under Clark Lea after ‘humble beginnings’ (by Joe Rexrode)
https://theathletic.com/3282092/2022/05 ... a-preview/

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Athletic (premium): Vanderbilt football seeks progress in Year 2 under Clark Lea after ‘humble beginnings’

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

It's interesting to think how the program's progress would be viewed had Vandy been able to beat both ETSU (not an unreasonable expectation) and South Carolina (shoulda, coulda, woulda). No, 4-8 is no great achievement, but I think we'd all see the program in a somewhat better light with those two wins. We had one of our easier schedules in a while last year--it's possible that we may be better this year but not win any more than 2 or 3 games.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Re: The Athletic (premium): Vanderbilt football seeks progress in Year 2 under Clark Lea after ‘humble beginnings’

Post by buffy »

2 wins is my expectation. Like you say, even with a reasonable level of improvement, there's not much hope until we get some more talent and experience. I like our coach. I expect we'll become problematic for middle of the road SEC teams in the second half of year 3. The teams reaction to the practice footage of last spring versus this spring is indicative of real progress.
Locked Previous topicNext topic