NBC Sports, Vandy announce NIL partnership

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

NBC Sports, Vandy announce NIL partnership

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Have to think this came about due to Mark Lazarus' connection to the university. He's an alum, former member of the BOT, and oversees NBC Sports Group as part of his responsibilities at NBCUniversal.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: NBC Sports, Vandy announce NIL partnership

Post by Go Vandy! »

It's about time. And apparently, NBC is looking at academics. Weinstein seems to be really well-connected, works hard & well respected.

Was this was Rexrode was writing about(as opposed to volleyball)?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I may be seen by some as a VU administration homer, but I think we went about this really smart. On the surface the administration seems to have put in place a sustainable NIL process that will provide our players not only with the opportunity to make money, but also personal finance resource to help them properly manage that money.

This is not something that leverages NIL to help us get players we never would've gotten five years ago (that is pretty much impossible), but what it does is demonstrates to our target player that VU is a player in the NIL space and we are amplifying our value proposition. Its doesn't appear to be an effort to be something we're not. We've taken our time to put something together that matches who we are. I like it a lot!
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

No question that it's a good thing! And the personal financial advice component is a great idea. (It makes me wonder whether that kind of financial advice is occurring as part of other schools' NIL programs but media hasn't focused on it since it's not as click-worthy as the actual compensation.)

I don't intend for this to be negative in the least but this is not actual NIL money YET; it's a platform, a "trusted marketplace" where NIL opportunities can be presented to athletes at VU, Notre Dame and Temple. It DOES make it easier for NIL to happen and to connect the right players to the right opportunities -- in an up-and-up way, along with the personal advice.

And I do think that with all the big new corporations and businesses in town and close by, the opportunities WILL come.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:59 am No question that it's a good thing! And the personal financial advice component is a great idea. (It makes me wonder whether that kind of financial advice is occurring as part of other schools' NIL programs but media hasn't focused on it since it's not as click-worthy as the actual compensation.)

I don't intend for this to be negative in the least but this is not actual NIL money YET; it's a platform, a "trusted marketplace" where NIL opportunities can be presented to athletes at VU, Notre Dame and Temple. It DOES make it easier for NIL to happen and to connect the right players to the right opportunities -- in an up-and-up way, along with the personal advice.

And I do think that with all the big new corporations and businesses in town and close by, the opportunities WILL come.
Understand your point completely about no direct or immediate input of funds. NBC obviously though has huge networks of companies who perceive their market demographic as being of the caliber that identifies with the Vanderbilts, NDs and Temples of the world. You are right , this is a very good thing .
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

OldDude wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:21 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:59 am No question that it's a good thing! And the personal financial advice component is a great idea. (It makes me wonder whether that kind of financial advice is occurring as part of other schools' NIL programs but media hasn't focused on it since it's not as click-worthy as the actual compensation.)

Understand your point completely about no direct or immediate input of funds. NBC obviously though has huge networks of companies who perceive their market demographic as being of the caliber that identifies with the Vanderbilts, NDs and Temples of the world. You are right , this is a very good thing .
And I think that is the whole point. I didn't touch on it in my first post, but schools are not allowed to provide NIL deals or serve as the intermediary for them. But there is not rule that says schools can't serve in this manner that the VU administration has chose to be involved. To this point, schools have been "hands off". While we all know that isn't true, their being hands off has introduced all sorts of unsavoriness to the mix. VU getting involved in NIL for its athletes in this way is great and I hope its serves as a model for other schools.
ChardMph
Seaman Recruit

Post by ChardMph »

This is a significant development for the world of college sports, as it allows student-athletes at Vanderbilt to monetize their brand and gain exposure through partnerships. The partnership with NBC Sports is particularly noteworthy, as it provides Vanderbilt student-athletes with the opportunity to connect with a major media company and gain national exposure for their talents. I heard a lot of it on https://zumroad.com/sport, and I think this can be especially beneficial for athletes who are looking to take the next step in their careers, whether it be in professional sports or other fields.
Locked Previous topicNext topic