New Commit

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Podge91
Rear Admiral

New Commit

Post by Podge91 »

A 3rd QB

Walter Taylor, 3 star southpaw out of Jackson, AL

1st team all state

Seems quite mobile

Not much of an offer list, but who knows?

When I watch high school QB highlights, I'm less impressed with the long TDs and look more for good throws into tight coverage.

IIRC, Swann looks best out of the 3 in that area

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: New Commit

Post by Nashmann »

He's 6'5" 210
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

From AL.com: https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/202 ... chool.html

I am a little puzzled that we took another QB in this class.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:37 am He's 6'5" 210
maybe he'll be our josh allen....
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

You can see a lot of film of him here...
https://www.hudl.com/profile/11045396/Walter-Taylor-III

I was surprised to hear about this commitment... not that we don't have scholarships available, we do... but about adding a third QB to this class. Is he perhaps going to compete for another position, I wondered? But a 6-5, 210 pro-style QB, you wouldn't think so. So, what's he doing still hanging around uncommitted (without major offers) at this point in the process?

Then I started watching the film... he throws a really pretty long ball. He's got the size to be an NFL-type QB, whereas the other two signees probably don't. And he's got decent wheels and mobility. So who knows? Maybe there's something here that we don't see.

We'll have five guys in the quarterback room next season, which is a pretty good luxury... but that means that four guys with scholarships are likely going to be sitting around frustrated.

dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Seadog73 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:49 am I am a little puzzled that we took another QB in this class.
Me too; pre-loading the transfer portal?
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

You never know. This guy may be a gem.
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

The thing about being a QB is that generally, you play all the time or you don't play at all. it's not like being a DB or a lineman or even a RB who can at least work into the rotation. So with the transfer portal thing now, I can totally understand how a bench QB would transfer out. That means that you've got to carry more QBs, especially if you're a program that needs to develop QBs over time and can't expect to get someone ready-made off the portal.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

At 6-5, maybe H-back or possession receiver in his future? Might increase his odds of playing in the NFL.

Wasn't Blasingame a linebacker when he got to West End and is now a fullback for the titanics?
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

He's huge = every bit of 6'5"
The included article says he's 6'7" but I don't believe it.

He throws some nice passes but his motion is very side armed. Not unusual for a big dude with big hands to throw a football like an egg or nerf ball or something. But Im' sure teams passed on him in part because of it. I would also assume that he hasn't been playing qb long. Probably another reason. he's the best athlete on the team being asked to play qb. That's what most hs coaches do. They just keep putting their best athlete back there. When the best athlete happens to also be a guy who's been playing qb a long time, then that kid gets recruited. When he's a newcomer with odd size and and odd throwing motion, everyone is hesitant.

His feet aren't what I would call quick but you can tell that in open space he's moving fast and hard to bring down.

He absolutely does not fear contact. Not in HS at least.

His offense is very simplistic: flood one side with receivers and pick the open guy. Then flood the other side and do same.
Locked Previous topicNext topic