OT: Titans 16 Bengals 19 Final

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

OT: Titans 16 Bengals 19 Final

Post by Go Vandy! »

I hope the Titans are NEVER a #1 seed again.

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: OT: Titans 16 Bengals 19 Final

Post by OldDude »

Do fans still think Vrabel should be COY ? You never take points off the board and not at all sure Henry was ready , seemed slow and tentative, Foreman was just more explosive. D line was great but Vrabel and offensive play calling were questionable.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm I hope the Titans are NEVER a #1 seed again.
i hope they never make the playoffs again.

It is my opinion that the arrival of the Titans (which is what I call my size 38 pants), Vanderbilt football drifted off into obscurity.
Last edited by commadore on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'm not sure what to think about the Titans - everyone wants to hype them up and they aren't all that good. I read a recent article saying they could have been the worst #1 seed in the history of the NFL. I guess you could say at least they were a #1 seed but it really didn't seem to matter to Tanneyhill who insisted on forcing that last pass on 3rd down which was intercepted and led to the Bengals victory.

I'm more interested in August 27th in Honolulu anyway as the Dores take on the Rainbows. I'll record the Super Bowl and watch it in 20 minutes while skipping commercials like I do for every other NFL game I watch.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

cc11316 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:56 pm I'm not sure what to think about the Titans - everyone wants to hype them up and they aren't all that good. I read a recent article saying they could have been the worst #1 seed in the history of the NFL. I guess you could say at least they were a #1 seed but it really didn't seem to matter to Tanneyhill who insisted on forcing that last pass on 3rd down which was intercepted and led to the Bengals victory.

I'm more interested in August 27th in Honolulu anyway as the Dores take on the Rainbows. I'll record the Super Bowl and watch it in 20 minutes while skipping commercials like I do for every other NFL game I watch.
And now they are going to have a disco-rap halftime. It just keeps getting worse.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Since the Houston Oilers moved to Nashville, the franchise has played only 5 home playoff games.

They won the first because of the Music City Miracle. They won the second because the Steelers roughed the kicker.

Over the last TWENTY years, the Titans are 0-3 in HOME playoff games.

There is something about this franchise... it just can't win when you expect them to win. And, in general, the Titans are never as good at home as you think they should be.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was about 90% sure they were going to lose this one when Tannehill's FIRST pass of the game was intercepted.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm I hope the Titans are NEVER a #1 seed again.
To clarify: I am a Titans fan. I want them to win. But they lose as favorites & win as underdogs.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

FWIW, the 49ers also walked off #1 Green Bay on a FG. It’s playoff season. Everyone is playing good football at this time of year. The Titans D was phenomenal. The O. Well…better luck next year. Unfortunate that Tanehill - who had 7 TD/0 INT in his past 3 games - had his worst game of the season in the playoffs.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

All 3 interceptions were on Tannehill!! He forced two where the guy wasn't open and failed to check down to others that were. The third that was tipped and caught the defender was coming right at him and he forced the throw! Gets paid millions to know better!! Titans haven't had a premier QB since McNair.

Going for two right at the beginning of the game when the other team only had six was an insane call. As was the play calling on 3rd and one and the fourth and one in the red zone.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I self-admit to knowing less about the fine points of the game than anyone on this board, but it seems like when we were repeatedly faced with 3rd and 1 or 3rd and very short, our QB lines up in the shotgun and hands off to a runner several yards behind the line, who is quickly tackled and LOSES yardage, forcing the punt. Do the Titans never do QB sneaks or power rushes from up close to the line? (That's a serious question: do they?)

I'm not a hard-core NFL fan but I usually have the Titans games on and check in on them without sitting and watching from kickoff to final horn. They're in and represent my town, so absent some moral scandal, I'm for them.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:51 am I self-admit to knowing less about the fine points of the game than anyone on this board, but it seems like when we were repeatedly faced with 3rd and 1 or 3rd and very short, our QB lines up in the shotgun and hands off to a runner several yards behind the line, who is quickly tackled and LOSES yardage, forcing the punt. Do the Titans never do QB sneaks or power rushes from up close to the line? (That's a serious question: do they?)

I'm not a hard-core NFL fan but I usually have the Titans games on and check in on them without sitting and watching from kickoff to final horn. They're in and represent my town, so absent some moral scandal, I'm for them.
Both plays where it was 3rd & 1 and then 4th & 1(in the red zone) Tannehill was under center. He called the wrong play both times. He has been rather successful all year with the QB sneak as a large QB. Not sure what they were thinking. Bengals were all stacked up in the middle almost impossible for Henry to run p thee gut. THAT was the time for them to be a little more creative.

Titans should have never NEVER gone for two so early in the game especially with Bengals only with 6 points! it ended up costing them the game in the end...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Nashmann wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:05 am
FayetteDore wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:51 am I self-admit to knowing less about the fine points of the game than anyone on this board, but it seems like when we were repeatedly faced with 3rd and 1 or 3rd and very short, our QB lines up in the shotgun and hands off to a runner several yards behind the line, who is quickly tackled and LOSES yardage, forcing the punt. Do the Titans never do QB sneaks or power rushes from up close to the line? (That's a serious question: do they?)

Both plays where it was 3rd & 1 and then 4th & 1(in the red zone) Tannehill was under center. He called the wrong play both times. He has been rather successful all year with the QB sneak as a large QB. Not sure what they were thinking. Bengals were all stacked up in the middle almost impossible for Henry to run p thee gut. THAT was the time for them to be a little more creative.

Titans should have never NEVER gone for two so early in the game especially with Bengals only with 6 points! it ended up costing them the game in the end...
Thanks for the response. I was mainly talking about late in the game when the Titans would get the ball back and were driving, trying even to get within field goal range and nowhere near the red zone. Just trying to keep drives alive.
zhanglini
Commander

Post by zhanglini »

I fell off the Titans bandwagon the moment they did not draft Cutler.
@AD
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

zhanglini wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:57 am I fell off the Titans bandwagon the moment they did not draft Cutler.

They obviously made wise decision on THAT point.

(And before you come back at me with how Vince Young flamed out in retrospect: he HAD just led Texas to an NC and Cutler had just led Vandy to a 5-6 season, including a loss to MTSU at home -- the UT win notwithstanding.)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:18 pm
zhanglini wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:57 am I fell off the Titans bandwagon the moment they did not draft Cutler.

(And before you come back at me with how Vince Young flamed out in retrospect: he HAD just led Texas to an NC and Cutler had just led Vandy to a 5-6 season, including a loss to MTSU at home -- the UT win notwithstanding.)
Totally disagree. The one year of his career that he was behind an offensive line worth a crap he made all pro. He had horrible lines at Chicago and Miami. Had he been at, say, Green Bay, he would have never had all the problems he had at Chicago. I think he was protected better at Vanderbilt.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:18 pm

It is well documented that Bud Adams did not listen to his staff and ordered Vince Young to be drafted. I don't think any team had Young on their draft board higher than Cutler. Besides, Cutler had a Wonderlic score 20 points higher than Young.

Cutler played 12 years in the NFL and threw for 35,000 yards. Young's career was caca.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I was mainly talking about what a d-bag he is. Which he definitely is.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:52 pm I was mainly talking about what a **** he is. Which he definitely is.
No name-calling, please; that will get you in trouble with the Admin. :|
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Remember when the Portland Trailblazers drafted Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan?

Remember when the titans refused to draft Randy Moss? Same thing. (sort of)

They said Moss had "character issues." But then drafted a guy named PacMan Jones.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Nashmann wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:31 am All 3 interceptions were on Tannehill!! He forced two where the guy wasn't open and failed to check down to others that were. The third that was tipped and caught the defender was coming right at him and he forced the throw! Gets paid millions to know better!! Titans haven't had a premier QB since McNair.

Going for two right at the beginning of the game when the other team only had six was an insane call. As was the play calling on 3rd and one and the fourth and one in the red zone.
I am a dolphins fan, but also usually root for the Titans because of the Vandy/Nashville connection.

So I was pulling for the Titans to win this year out of the teams left, and was rooting for them hard yesterday.

That said, as a Dolphins fan, it was nice to get a reminder that Tannehill didn't suddenly get good when he left my disfunctional team, but rather he was, and still is, the player the Dolphins always thought he was.
Locked Previous topicNext topic