DB Dashaun Jerkins in the portal as a grad transfer

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

DB Dashaun Jerkins in the portal as a grad transfer

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: DB Dashaun Jerkins in the portal as a grad transfer

Post by BrentVU »

Reactions:

1. He is a grad transfer; hard to fault a guy who played at Vanderbilt for four seasons and will leave with a degree.

2. Still, his departure will hurt, and is a bit surprising. Jerkins was one of the first guys on the roster last year to earn his jersey number, signifying he was all in with the new staff's ways of doing things.

3. Lamar Morgan's departure as DB's coach could have something to do with Jerkins' decision.

4. Jerkins makes 12 guys from the 2021 team to enter the portal; a sign of the times.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Can you name those in the portal? I had only heard of two.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

commadore wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:07 am Can you name those in the portal? I had only heard of two.
My list, which may not be complete or accurate:

QB Jeremy Moussa (grad transfer)
WR Amir Abdur-Rahman (grad transfer)
WR Cam Johnson (grad transfer)
OL Tyler Steen (grad transfer)
DL Alex Williams
DL Marcus Bradley
DL Terion Sugick (Arkansas State)
DL Lorenza Surgers (Minnesota)
LB Brayden Devault-Smith (grad transfer)
DB Gabe Jeudy-Lally
DB Brendon Harris (grad transfer)
DB Dashaun Jerkins (grad transfer)
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 am
commadore wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:07 am Can you name those in the portal? I had only heard of two.

DL Alex Williams
DL Marcus Bradley
DB Gabe Jeudy-Lally
Wow! The thing that truly jumps out to me is the number of grad transfers, 7 of the 11. That's a double edged sword. Glad that those guys are graduating, but still tough to lose players you may have been counting on to contribute.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

It is going to be very difficult to replace starting upper classmen with incoming recruits, no matter how good the recruits ultimately turn out. Going to be difficult to have another good recruiting year if we again are horrible. The transfer portal will make it far more difficult to turn any program around unless the program plays the transfer game....but I repeat myself....
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

DL Alex Williams
DB Gabe Jeudy-Lally
can't we slow down the pace at which players are earning those degrees? what factors are creating a situation where we lose so many experienced veterans? is it driven by our student-athletes striving for paid-for graduate degrees (much less likely among our sec brethren)? is it primarily about the covid bonus year? might it revert to a more traditional five year gig for many (but not all) once that's no longer part of the equation? 'splain please.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Well, I expect most stay on track to graduate due to the courses they take during the summer, when they are supposed to stay in Nashville and train.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

docdore wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:44 pm

DL Alex Williams
DB Gabe Jeudy-Lally
can't we slow down the pace at which players are earning those degrees? what factors are creating a situation where we lose so many experienced veterans? is it driven by our student-athletes striving for paid-for graduate degrees (much less likely among our sec brethren)? is it primarily about the covid bonus year? might it revert to a more traditional five year gig for many (but not all) once that's no longer part of the equation? 'splain please.
The degree is the main reason you come to Vanderbilt, and the university does a fantastic job keeping you on track to graduate. I have a son who will graduate this year, and it is night and day compared to what I have seen from state schools and non-elite private universities.
This group of seniors has won just 11 games in 4 years, so I can understand if they just want to get their degree and move on. I heard that same sentiment from a number of football players I knew back in the 80's (11 wins during my time from 83-87). I can understand why they may want a fresh start if they want to continue playing football.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

DL Alex Williams
DB Gabe Jeudy-Lally
"slow down the pace at which players are earning those degrees". You are being sarcastic, right?
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

As mentioned previously, it is difficult to get into grad school at Vanderbilt. We got the double whammy on academics affecting admission.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Interestingly... the three units most affected by players entering the portal (WR, DL, DB) are also the three units that lost their position coaches (Raih, Breckterfield, and Morgan, respectively).

Coincidence... or not?
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Could it be Vandy doesn't offer the types of grad degrees sports-minded guys want? Plus the tough admission requirements. Who knows. Seems a lot go elsewhere for whatever reason.

I wonder what the total number of guys leaving the program is this year. Some just graduate without grad school or transferring.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

DL Alex Williams
DB Gabe Jeudy-Lally
I agree with another poster that stated the difficulty in gaining admission to one of VU's grad programs. Say you stayed on pace to graduate in four years, you have to find something else to do that last year. If you want to get an MBA, it may be easier to get in at Minnesota than Owen. The other thing you have to think about is cost. Assume a guy gets a scholarship for five years of playing football at VU. Four of those are spent on undergrad and one year is spent on his graduate degree. But there is still the second year to pay for. It can be far cheaper to get that second year done elsewhere. Maybe they're more savvy than past students on that front. I also think your point about the bonus year is at play as well.
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

The worrisome part to me is the lack of players transferring in to Vanderbilt. We clearly have need for experience players all over the place. With thousands of athletes in the portal there hasn't been a peep about us signing one. Besides the linebacker from Clemson who's brother signed here.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Losing 3 solid DL really hurts.

Lea's program is centered on player development. You wonder if anyone is going to hang around long enough to develop.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

VandyD wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:17 pm The worrisome part to me is the lack of players transferring in to Vanderbilt. We clearly have need for experience players all over the place. With thousands of athletes in the portal there hasn't been a peep about us signing one. Besides the linebacker from Clemson who's brother signed here.
I agree. I'm worried about it because it seems to be the norm, and I think I may have been wrong about its impact on our team. I underestimated our ability to obtain transfers (whether or not the staff wants transfers). Getting into VU grad school is no small feat. Even transferring in from another university is no small order. I think we were probably just starting to get our admissions folks to a point where we could have some (reasonable) exceptions to help out athletics. The portal has opened a whole new can of worms.
Locked Previous topicNext topic