OT: Vanderbilt getting rid of McTyeire as a language dorm

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

OT: Vanderbilt getting rid of McTyeire as a language dorm

Post by historybill »

Many of us who lived in that dorm very sad about it.

Oh, well.

Junnah
Commander

Re: OT: Vanderbilt getting rid of McTyeire as a language dorm

Post by Junnah »

Removing it or renaming it?
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Perhaps it is still a collection of multi-lingual students and only the name is going to change.

Would appreciate a link to the story.

Could be that this viral petition has influenced those in Kirkland. It has gotten 92 signatures in ONLY 8 months.

https://www.change.org/p/vanderbilt-uni ... onal-house

Does the campus have anything named Washington or Jefferson? Those will go next.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

McTyeire has existed as an international themed dorm since the mid 1970s, I think. When I was there we had our own cafeteria, where we all had to eat breakfast and dinner, and there were 4 halls: Spanish, French, German and Russian, and you were supposed to speak the language in the dorm.

It was the best dorm on campus when I was a student and in some ways the only one that had a "family" feel. We had great parties, incredible guest speakers, etc. About 15 of my best 20 friends from college are people I met the one year I lived there.

When they started this "residential campus" thing, they talked about McTyeire, and some of the articles selling the Vanderbilt world on Gee's "residential campus" idea talked about how all the dorms were going to have that "family" theme. But now that the other dorms are so beautiful and luxurious I don't think they can get students to live in the international dorm anymore.

I don't think this has anything to do with changing the name. At least I don't think this is BECAUSE of that. Now... they may use this an excuse to change the name. But I don't think 1% of the current students know or care anything about the history of the place.

Here is the story:

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2022/01/14/ ... SBTISxsnOw
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

It's about time.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 pm Perhaps it is still a collection of multi-lingual students and only the name is going to change.

Would appreciate a link to the story.

Could be that this viral petition has influenced those in Kirkland. It has gotten 92 signatures in ONLY 8 months.

https://www.change.org/p/vanderbilt-uni ... onal-house

Does the campus have anything named Washington or Jefferson? Those will go next.
From the petition, “ We recommend renaming McTyeire International House to the International House”. I wonder if they will have pancakes.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Lots of stuff in the south have ties to slavery. They really should come as opportunities to talk about our shared history and how we can do better going forward. There should be a strong distinction between a building on a campus named after someone who helped to found the university and a statue of a confederate war hero that was erected to intimidate and malign black people. Those are two totally different things that require nuance, conversation and understanding to navigate wisely and understand what is what.

Not all things are created equally, not all building names are the same. Not all monuments to Robert E. Lee are the same. But these are muddy waters for the university to navigate. Probably a convenient time to do this, but it would be great to see more conversation around it to promote a broader understanding.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

VandyPhile wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:26 pm... to the International House”. I wonder if they will have pancakes.
They should. VU tore down the oldest IHOP in middle Tennessee for... well, parking.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Lived there 2nd semester of Frosh year. If you were from Nashville, on campus dorms were tough to come by. Got in there with a bunch of other guys that I knew. Too much fun. That would have been 1975 so guessing international flair started following year. We just had 1st floor. Could have been some international above us.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:35 pm
VandyPhile wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:26 pm... to the International House”. I wonder if they will have pancakes.
They should. VU tore down the oldest IHOP in middle Tennessee for... well, parking.
And a nicer IHOP opened a few blocks away on Elliston.

I'm more concerned about the 82 year old "Jacksonian" that was demolished at 31st and West End to put up a Walgreens that could have gone just about anywhere in that neighborhood.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/s ... cus18.html
Locked Previous topicNext topic