Unlike apparently a lot of Vandy fans,

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Unlike apparently a lot of Vandy fans,

Post by Go Vandy! »

I’m sorry, I’m not content with losing and I can’t pretend these teams (FB, MBB, WBB) are better than they are. Worst in the SEC, and among the worst in school history

When I express these opinions, I’m told I should become a fan of some other team just because it wins. That’s not what I want. I want these teams to win. And I don’t want to wait 2,3,5,10 years. Except that I already have. I was told the same things 2,5,10 years ago. If anything, they’re worse now. Is there a realistic reason to have any optimism?

coachinwaiting
Admiral

Re: Unlike apparently a lot of Vandy fans,

Post by coachinwaiting »

No one should be content with losing. Voicing displeasure with losing is the fan’s prerogative and duty. If the powers that be never hear discontent from the fan base, why would they do anything to change the result?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Don't think Vandy fans for the most part are content with losing but the administration apparently is! Don't know much about the women's basketball coach but doubt Stackhouse will accomplish much at Vandy. Lea, I am impressed with but doubt he will stay over 5 years. Vandy had supposedly a great education to offer, whether they really do or not, I do not think so-called student athletes really care about an education any more. Understand your pain!
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Thank you for repeating what long-time fans feel about the programs.

And thank the Lord for Tim Corbin.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Same people who loved Bobby Johnson when he went 2-10 three straight times and Bryce Drew when he lost 20 games in a row, are now suddenly upset. The timing is odd to say the least.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I agree 100 percent with the OP’s assessment.

I was also upset about Bryce Drew losing 20 games and going winless in the SEC, but Bryce Drew was a successful college coach at Valparaiso and had taken them to NCAA tournaments. So I was willing to cut him some slack. Stallings left the team in a bad situation with poor recruiting towards the end of his career. Drew took us to an NCAA tournament bid his first year but his All-SEC quality recruit was injured early in the season and that blew up our season.

But the Vanderbilt AD fired him after only two seasons and brought in a guy who’s never coached at the college level before, not even as an assistant. This was disappointing to me. Success at the “D” pro level does not equal success at the college level. Just like college coaches fail in the NFL.

Stackhouse hasn’t proven to me that he can win at the major college level in three years. We have had losing records and haven’t come close to sniffing an NCAA tournament bid or even an NIT in his tenure. We’ve been at the bottom of the SEC. This is why I would like to see a change. Our new AD fired our women’s coach when it was apparent she couldn’t win in the SEC, but she hasn’t shown any inclination to want to do anything about our men’s program yet.

As far as football, CCL also was left in a bad situation by poor recruiting by CDM. I am willing to cut him some slack for now. But if we’re still winless in the SEC after his third year, then I will be wanting a change made there too.
Last edited by Golddore68 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Disagree! When Bobby Johnson came the Commodore program it was in shipwreck mode. It is not like great athletes dream of coming to the disaster!
Dsdore
Ensign

Post by Dsdore »

It's interesting that some would give Bryce Drew a pass because of Darius Garland's injury, but are not willing to give the same to Jerry Stackhouse. Every team he's had so far has been devastated by key injuries. Nesmith the first year. Disu and Lawrence the second year. And now Robbins and Chatman. This run of bad luck is bound to end. His recruiting continues.to improve each year. His teams improve each year as the season progresses. I still believe Stackhouse will have real success if given time.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Golddore68 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:20 pm

But the Vanderbilt AD fired him after only two seasons
Maybe I'm hallucinating but the basketball reference achieves says Bryce Drew was here three seasons.

That included going 6-12 in the SEC with an experienced team and then 0-18 with a team that had three future NBA players. (NOT including Garland) Could he have 5ucked more? Not sure how.
Locked Previous topicNext topic