So far 8 transfers out

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

So far 8 transfers out

Post by Vandy187187 »

What do you think is the final number of transfers out of the program?

Cam Johnson - WR
Lorenza Surgers - DL
Gabe Jeudy - DB
Terion Sugick - DL
Brendon Harris - DB
Amir Abdur Rahman - WR
Marcus Bradley - DT
Jeremy Moussa - QB

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: So far 8 transfers out

Post by Minoadoc »

today,3 or 4* lineman Bradley Mann committed. And Elite 11 QB finalist AJ Swann decommitted from MD after visiting us last week(?) and is listed by 247 to likely commit to VU.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I don't see anything scary about what's going on. This is the landscape now. For the most part, our guys are moving on for good reasons. I'm feeling optimistic about these two weeks and how it will translate for us. I sense a good trajectory.
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

I saw an article that said over 1,000 more kids are transferring this year compared to past years. This is the new college football offseason.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Hoping the portal works out for those young men and wishing them the best but I was hoping the final number of transfers out would be 7 or less.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

There have been 4 or 5 each to hit the portal from Auburn and Alabama. No real surprises. And the good news for us is that the majority of our transfers out have been at VU long enough to be leaving with a degree, either at the end of this month or May.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Based on his remarks in the locker room after the Tennessee game (as reported in that extraordinary Tennessean article that BrentVU linked to in a different thread), CCL knew there would be several transfers out. That's to be expected because I'm sure the players would have told him before going public.

I too wish them all the best and thank them for the blood, sweat and tears they shed for the team. To me, anyone who has worn the uniform deserves our respect -- unless they do something disrespectful, which none of these guys have done.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

If you lose your coach, you could just about lose your whole team to the portal, as is happening to Oklahoma, or as happened to Tennessee last year.

I liked the old rule better, but that's just me. As others have said, get used to the new normal.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I really believe the number of transfers has to be further parsed these days.

I think that given the difficulty of remaining at VU for grad school for a variety of reasons that have been discussed previously, those players who are leaving the program as graduates are one type of transfer. I'm never alarmed by any of those guys. Furthermore, most/all of those players are now leaving with a year of COVID eligibility.

(In fact, I've always thought this is one of the "disadvantages" of a program that admits bright students, graduates a lot of players, and has a high rate of academic progress. Our players generally graduate in four years. They're ready to move on after graduating, even if they have eligibility remaining. Good for them, but it now shows up as players hitting the transfer portal if they choose to keep playing.)

I think players who are leaving before they have exhausted their academic eligibility are worthy of more scrutiny.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:00 pm I really believe the number of transfers has to be further parsed these days.

I think that given the difficulty of remaining at VU for grad school for a variety of reasons that have been discussed previously, those players who are leaving the program as graduates are one type of transfer. I'm never alarmed by any of those guys. Furthermore, most/all of those players are leaving with a year of COVID eligibility.

(In fact, I've always thought this is one of the "disadvantages" of a program that admits bright students, graduates a lot of players, and has a high rate of academic progress. Our players generally graduate in four years. They're ready to move on after graduating, even if they have eligibility remaining. Good for them, but it shows up as players hitting the transfer portal.)

I think players who are leaving before they have exhausted their academic eligibility are worthy of more scrutiny.
Spot on Auric. The players who have already graduated have NFL aspirations like all the other players and feel a less rigorous academic schedule will allow them to hone their craft and hopefully showcase their skills.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'm waiting for an entire unit or team to transfer from one school to another - say the entire Notre Dame offense transfers to LSU. This way a coach can just pack a suitcase of players and pick up right where they left off instead of having to recruit or teach new personnel an offense. You think that would get anyone's attention or just be accepted as part of modern culture? I say the latter.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

One thing this does is reduce the utility of red shirting. Which seems to have been curtailed greatly. Red Shirting increases the chances that a player will graduate before exhausting eligibility, thereby increasing the chances he will go the graduate transfer route. Red shirting historically benefited Vanderbilt, as we beefed up guys who were not that highly recruited. Like every other development in college football, it cuts against us.
Locked Previous topicNext topic