Offense Identity Moving Forward

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dorefaninktown
Petty Officer

Offense Identity Moving Forward

Post by dorefaninktown »

I would love to be a fly on the wall inside Lea and the offensive staffs meetings and I would love to get 4 bourbons in Lea and hear his honest thoughts.

My guess is Lea would admit he had no idea how outmanned we would be on both sides of the ball and especially how quick teams would score on us and how pourous our offensive line play would be.

He wanted us to run a type of hurry up pro style type of offense out of a basic pro spread. The goal was to rely on the long ball and quick option reads between guards. That got us 3 points against etsu. By November, though, we were a slow it down, option spread that honestly was probably the best use of talent we could have hoped for.

The questions are endless...does Lea tell seals we dont have the line to protect his style of play? Do we recruit a transfer backup to wright? Do we build on the option more or does Lea and co view it as just a bandaid. Does he end the charade at who our OC is? Is hurry up officially dead?

I was down on Lea big time as I thought our game plans made no sense. Unlike mason though, lea evolved during the season, though it is questionable if he would have absent seals' injury.

My hope is that he runs a 2 we, te, 2 rb, mobile option oriented spread/pistol type of offense that slows the game down tempo wise unless there are kill shots down field. A mobile QB is a must unless and until we have a legit line.

I'm not sure Lea will answer these questions directly, but perhaps we'll find them in what transfers come in and leave and what coaching changes take place.

buffy
Vice Admiral

Re: Offense Identity Moving Forward

Post by buffy »

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Can Drew Dickie run? Swann?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

Nashmann wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:15 pm Can Drew Dickie run? Swann?
From the small about of film i’ve watched on both, it appears Swann is a much more mobile and really the better QB. Swann doesn’t like to run by any means but he’s mobile in the pocket and can throw on the run and displayed some speed that shows he has the potential to break out a few good runs a game. Swann at the very least can avoid some of the worse parts of Ken Seals’s game (Ex. taking sacks because he’s so slow and throwing stupid interceptions when he’s pressured because he has no idea what to do.)
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

We don't have SEC playmakers or lineman, but we make up for it by offensive coaches who aren't up to the task. Sad but true. We simply must make a change at OC, or this unit is never getting off the ground.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Commodoredave wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:36 am We don't have SEC playmakers or lineman, but we make up for it by offensive coaches who aren't up to the task. Sad but true. We simply must make a change at OC, or this unit is never getting off the ground.
Further elaborate on their shortcomings, please.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

buffy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:25 am
Commodoredave wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:36 am We don't have SEC playmakers or lineman, but we make up for it by offensive coaches who aren't up to the task. Sad but true. We simply must make a change at OC, or this unit is never getting off the ground.
Further elaborate on their shortcomings, please.
How about these elaborations?

1) Our offense was the 123rd ranked out of 130 teams. Last year we were ranked 125.
2) We didn't begin to run an offense more suitable to our overall talent until game five.
3) We scored 3 points against a FCS team
4) Some staff genius looked at our offensive line and decided we would run a pro set. I had serious Derek Mason flashbacks for the first four games.

UT went from the 90th ranked offense to the 16th under their first year coach. Our new coaching staff hardly made a difference.
Locked Previous topicNext topic