One thing I wonder about the 10-year contracts

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

One thing I wonder about the 10-year contracts

Post by Golddore68 »

A lot of schools are signing their coaches to 10-year contracts (Penn State and Franklin, LSU and Kelly, and others).

This is done so that other schools won’t take their coaches without having to buy out their contracts. This would be a huge expense to other schools.

But what if the coaches don’t perform to expectations? Is there a clause in the contract that says that they can end the 10-year contract early without having to pay the entirety of the salary?

For instance if Franklin has abysmally bad teams the next two years at Penn State — 3-9, 2-10 - type seasons — could they fire him without having to pay him the entirety of the contract?

DivergentDore
Commander

Re: One thing I wonder about the 10-year contracts

Post by DivergentDore »

Golddore68 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:39 pm A lot of schools are signing their coaches to 10-year contracts (Penn State and Franklin, LSU and Kelly, and others).

This is done so that other schools won’t take their coaches without having to buy out their contracts. This would be a huge expense to other schools.

But what if the coaches don’t perform to expectations? Is there a clause in the contract that says that they can end the 10-year contract early without having to pay the entirety of the salary?

For instance if Franklin has abysmally bad teams the next two years at Penn State — 3-9, 2-10 - type seasons — could they fire him without having to pay him the entirety of the contract?
Generally those long-term contracts have early termination penalties that decrease in price yearly to protect the coaches; along with buyout clauses that protect the school.if a coach decides to jump early. There have been a few headscratcher contracts that had no early termination clause; Dooley and Jones both at UT, Gus at AU, and Coach O at LSU. Coach O did however negotiate down to around 16m payable through 2025 instead of the full contract price.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

The size of these contracts means that the amount of dead money will likely increase in the future.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... dead-money
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

So, has UT finished paying all their myriad of ex-coaches (except Pruitt, in litigation)?
Locked Previous topicNext topic