Report: Brian Kelly to LSU

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Report: Brian Kelly to LSU

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Would be even more shocking than Riley to USC, IMO.

katmai
Rear Admiral

Re: Report: Brian Kelly to LSU

Post by katmai »

I think that he is a great coach, but he doesn't really seem like a good fit in Baton Rouge.
Albert_Camus
Admiral

Post by Albert_Camus »

Surely they won’t be tapping Clark to come back. It would give him a plausible pretext to cut and run. What young gun turns down an offer to be the head coach at ND?

Big mistake by Kelly. Those maniacs in the Bayou will eat him alive.
Albert

I used to be disgusted. Now I am just amused.
Elvis Costello
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

If true, for $15M a year, I think he'll be just fine.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

The more I digest this, the more bizarre it seems. Notre Dame is a not implausible Houston upset of Cincy away from being in the thick of the discussion for the 4th spot of the CFB.

Maybe Riley wants an ex-SEC job where one can win and Kelly wants a shot at the SEC. If so, they could have simply switched jobs. The real winners here are the agent$.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

CCL would have been considered at ND if this had happened a year ago. If we'd had the kind of season Franklin had in his first year, he'd be considered now.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Truly strange. ND has to be one of the premier college football programs, as much as I dislike their arrogance. At ND Kelly has national recruiting ability.

Will he be able to speak Cajun at LSU? Going there will be a huge culture shock. Also, LSU fans have totally unrealistic expectations. It does not make sense to me.

It all has to be about the Benjamins. I am surprised that ND has not opened its coffers to outbid LSU. Oh well, we live during an unusual time, with COVID driving so many decisions.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg has a list of nine possible candidates that Notre Dame might go after; Luke Fickell and Matt Campbell top the list, and Clark Lea is listed No. 9 of 9. Here's what he writes:

A year ago, Lea undoubtedly would have been a top candidate to replace Kelly, his boss at Notre Dame from 2017 to 2020. Like Freeman, Lea was held in extremely high regard by Notre Dame administrators and others around the program. His intelligence and steady demeanor make him a perfect fit for a job such as Notre Dame's. But Lea, 40, is working at his alma mater and living in his hometown. He also finished 2-10 (0-8 in the SEC) in his first season. It's hard to see him leaving Vanderbilt so soon, and Notre Dame has some other appealing candidates. The timing just feels a bit off here.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Kelly knows he will never win a National Championship at ND. At least he will have a shot at one at LSU.

I admire LSU's AD. He goes after big name candidates and gets them.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Kelly loves ND and would have likely stayed until retirement but at some point the man has to get paid for on the field results. A sub $3m salary for a coach consistently competing for a playoff spot is simply mindnumbing. I'm expecting a middle of the pack retread or an over the hump coach as their next hire.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Kelly made $7.75M at ND. Rumor is he is getting $12m at LSU. It all came down to facilities. Kelly wanted an upgrade at ND’s student center for the players and ND has slow played it.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

It's rather simple. Brian Kelly can't win a national championship at Notre Dame. It's just near insurmountable. At LSU, Ed Orgeron could win a national championship. Les Miles could win a national championship. What happens when a legitimate high end coach has access to that kind of talent? And for more money. It's a no brainer.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

buffy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 am It's rather simple. Brian Kelly can't win a national championship at Notre Dame. It's just near insurmountable. At LSU, Ed Orgeron could win a national championship. Les Miles could win a national championship. What happens when a legitimate high end coach has access to that kind of talent? And for more money. It's a no brainer.
At LSU, Kelly has no academic restrictions on recruiting. Mike the Tiger would be accepted at LSU if he applied for admission.
Locked Previous topicNext topic