OT: Poll: Resolved: I wish we'd never hired James Franklin

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Re: OT: Poll: Resolved: I wish we'd never hired James Franklin

Post by Commodoredave »

I'd take him back in a second. He made me care about the program that is now in the trough of a long rebuild.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't begrudge him leaving. I didn't like him going after recruits at the time, but that's the way things are now. The bottom line is he took a much better job with infinitely more commitment and support than what Vandy has. Can't blame a man for moving up in the world.

thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Wish he had stayed but VU let him get away! Empty rhetoric ever does little and I think Franklin quickly realized such. Think Tiger fans wish LSU had never hired Saban?
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I am in my late 50s. Franklin was by far the best VU football coach I can remember. I remember Steve Sloan quite well, too, but CJF was better. He breathed life back into our nearly dead program. Hiring Franklin was the best thing (maybe the only good thing) David Williams ever did at VU.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

Change "James Franklin" to "Derek Mason" and I vote yes.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Franklin showed 2 things:
1. It can be done here (as others have stated)
2. There is a cost to #1 that I'm not sure some are willing to endure. See CharletonAlums post above
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

thefan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 amWish he had stayed but VU let him get away!
Williams offered him a 10-year $50 mil contract
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:34 am
thefan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:15 amWish he had stayed but VU let him get away!
I think it was the stadium more with Franklin than money; whatever it was they couldn't keep him!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

thefan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:00 am
Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:34 am
I think it was the stadium more with Franklin than money; whatever it was they couldn't keep him!
Have we forgotten the rape and the complete breakdown in confidence and trust between the Chancellor and coach over the rape? My biggest misgiving is that Franklin recruited the bad apple knowing it was risky but then abandoned all those young men whose lives were ruined when the chips were down. In my opinion, this is not the type person Vanderbilt needs as a leader - he belongs at Penn State. As our record shows, Vanderbilt is not a win at any cost University, and I am grateful. Grantland Rice was right: "it is how you play the game. " Sure I want a winning program but I want it with dignity - I hope Lea can do that.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:55 am I am in my late 50s. Franklin was by far the best VU football coach I can remember. I remember Steve Sloan quite well, too, but CJF was better. He breathed life back into our nearly dead program. Hiring Franklin was the best thing (maybe the only good thing) David Williams ever did at VU.
The Commodores won four national championships under Williams’ leadership

Sloan, I was a big fan of, but looking back at who some of the wins were against... William & Mary, Tampa (who was about to drop football), ut-C, VMI, Army & Louisville while they were not serious about football...and the win over uut back then was actually the year AFTER he left. Sloan only won 30-something percent of the games he coached at Ole Miss and 20-something percent at Duke.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am
Doreknox wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:55 am I am in my late 50s. Franklin was by far the best VU football coach I can remember. I remember Steve Sloan quite well, too, but CJF was better. He breathed life back into our nearly dead program. Hiring Franklin was the best thing (maybe the only good thing) David Williams ever did at VU.

Sloan, I was a big fan of, but looking back at who some of the wins were against... William & Mary, Tampa (who was about to drop football), ut-C, VMI, Army & Louisville while they were not serious about football...and the win over uut back then was actually the year AFTER he left. Sloan only won 30-something percent of the games he coached at Ole Miss and 20-something percent at Duke.
As discussed ad nauseum, Todd Turner hired Tim Corbin, who won two of those nattys. It's nice we won tennis and bowling national championships, but Williams let the mbb, wbb and football teams crater under his watch. Franklin was the high water mark for ADDW's administration.

Steve Sloan's career record was 68-86-3. Meh.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:44 am

As discussed ad nauseum, Todd Turner hired Tim Corbin, who won two of those nattys. It's nice we won tennis and bowling national championships, but Williams let the mbb, wbb and football teams crater under his watch. Franklin was the high water mark for ADDW's administration.

Steve Sloan's career record was 68-86-3. Meh.
VCDW did hire Bryce Drew and that was a horrific mistake. I'm not sure why he let Eddie Fogler tell him who to hire that time. As a matter of fact, Fogler was barely .500 at South Carolina. His 13 point home loss to Tennessee Tech here is still a head scratcher.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

Steve Sloan was the reason I started following Vanderbilt football in the 70's, and never stopped. I was unhappy when he left, but I assumed he would go on to a storied coaching career. Hardly. He turned out to be sub-par to say the least, but I will always feel like he moved on from Vanderbilt too soon.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

coachinwaiting wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:03 pm

Steve Sloan was the reason I started following Vanderbilt football in the 70's, and never stopped. I was unhappy when he left, but I assumed he would go on to a storied coaching career. Hardly. He turned out to be sub-par to say the least, but I will always feel like he moved on from Vanderbilt too soon.
I understand that that was his view as well, that leaving Vanderbilt was his biggest regret.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I will never forget seeing Sloan coach Vandy his first year. I was in my tour in the Navy in DC and went to Charlottesville to see the Dores play Virginia. I saw a VU offense drive about 98 yards to score without a single favorable penalty. VU won that day, something I did not see much of during my time at VU (69-73). I talked with Coach Sloan for a while after the game outside the locker room waiting for the players to come out. Had a chance to visit with him a few more times once I finished the Navy, law school and moved to Chattanooga. He was always welcoming and warm. I was a fan.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I was a fan of Sloan at the time but was really a fan of Ireland's steak and biscuits. His commercial for them was good too. "You can just taste the butter just oooshing outta them!" (add a southern accent)
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

For three years it was fun to be a Vandy football fan...since CJF left we've gone back to being the SEC doormat...'nuff said.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

I was all in with Coach Franklin and hung on his every word - for a long time. I am grateful for much of what he did while at Vanderbilt. Of course, no one is perfect. I did think that he could have been better to the university, to his third team, and to Vanderbilt's investment in the recruiting class he was involved with at the time he left. I also believe that evaluation of his career at Vanderbilt has to include the horrible incident which occurred on his watch. How it was handled, the deterioration of his relationship with the Chancellor, and the way it reflected on Vanderbilt in the public arena are all negatives of Coach Franklin's tenure which certainly made it more difficult for Coach Mason and for Vanderbilt to sustain a winning program. Vanderbilt gave CJF an incredible opportunity and, arguably, is responsible for the contract he just signed. I hope he appreciates that about Vanderbilt and regrets the negative influences he imparted on the university.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:20 pm I was a fan of Sloan at the time but was really a fan of Ireland's steak and biscuits. His commercial for them was good too. "You can just taste the butter just oooshing outta them!" (add a southern accent)
I was 9 when Sloan left VU. I think I am still mad about that. Something to work on?
Locked Previous topicNext topic