OT: Poll: Resolved: I wish we'd never hired James Franklin

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

OT: Poll: Resolved: I wish we'd never hired James Franklin

Post by Go Vandy! »

Yea or nay? The voting now stands at 0-1. But I'm guessing the Yeas win 4-1. Either result will say a lot about the mindset of this fanbase.
Last edited by Go Vandy! on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: OT: Poll: Resolved: I wish we'd never hired James Franklin

Post by Nashmann »

Best hire ever!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Well, Corbin, but- in our lifetimes- a close 2nd.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 am Well, Corbin, but- in our lifetimes- a close 2nd.
Talking football....of course, Corbin of all coaches. Franklin as far as football.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

3 bowls in 3 years? I don't like how he left but I don't like how Steve Sloan left after only 2 years. I don't like how Deuce Johnson left a month before football season after going 2-10.

So, overall, I approve of the Franklin hire. He was the best available at the time.
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

Is this a trick question? I'd take him back in a minute. He showed us it can be done.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

he was the best thing to happen to this program in my lifetime
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I am with VandyBrad, he proved what I have always thought possible. For nothing else, we owe him that.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Nay, I am glad we hired him. I'm not sure I would take him back in a hot second, but I'm glad we had him when we did.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Glad we hired him because he showed winning is possible, but with the way he left very late and then poached our recruiting class I wish he had never stepped on campus. Pure douchebaggery.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

It was great fun while he was here, but apparently lots of our fans became convinced that what he did was not an anomaly but an easy norm. “Hey, just hire the next guy and let him get nine wins too!” As if such success was the common, simple thing.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

Jimmie Franks was a fantastic hire at the time. He brought energy and proved you could win consistently at VU which hadn't been done since the 1950's. Would I take him back? Maybe if he showed some contrition and admitted publicly that the poaching was wrong etc. That is not his style so I think the chances of that happening are zero. However, I would definitely take his assistant at the time Josh Gattis. Hopefully we don't need a coaching change anytime soon but with his success at Michigan and elsewhere coupled with his experience here and that fact he played at another small private university in Wake Forest I think he is one to keep an eye on - likely at a football factory sooner than later.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I've been routing against penn state every single game in the hope they would fire him and we could bring him back.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

When I took my kids to the Music City Bowl in 2008, I told them to enjoy it because you didn't know when Vanderbilt would make it back to a bowl game. His three seasons were by far the best stretch of Vanderbilt football in my lifetime. There were more Vanderbilt fans at the Liberty Bowl his first year than at any home game in at least the last three seasons. I am glad he was Vanderbilt's coach, and he showed that you can have success at Vanderbilt with the right pieces.
VirginiaDore
Ensign

Post by VirginiaDore »

Here’s another vote for Franklin. For three years, everyone (me included) LOVED what Vanderbilt football had become—virtually overnight. For a brief and shining moment, one could don a Vanderbilt cap in the fall and walk with a swagger that said, “Hell yes, I’m a Vandy fan.” Otherwise I’m afraid I haven’t loved three consecutive years of Vandy football since I first enrolled in 1971. With two Vanderbilt degrees on my wall, I’m not going anywhere else; I’ll be wearing that cap (literally and figuratively) until the end of my days. But unless one perversely hates success and loves failure, or hates joy and loves misery, it seems a bit silly to wish Franklin had never darkened our door. He put fans in the stands (though not as many as he wanted) and for once in my lifetime put Vanderbilt football on the national map. Yes, I know he left under circumstances that revealed crass opportunism and that he recruited a few players who turned out to be very bad apples off the field. Doesn’t change what he accomplished.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I enjoyed the wins, but glad Penn State is stuck with him now for a decade. Character trumps wins in my book, but I know I am old school. He left players he recruited high and dry in the worst scandal to ever hit VU. Good luck Penn State now stuck with him for 10 years
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

As far as wins and excitement around the program I’m glad he was here. 3 bowls, national rankings and two 9 win seasons. I pray we can get back to that.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I root against PSU, more due to Paterno than Franklin. We're too tolerant of failure as it is. Without Franklin proving it could be done, we be even more tolerant, which would hurt the program.

His departure was actually not a lot different than many or most departures for new coaching jobs these days. At least he didn't leave before our bowl game, which is done at least as often as not. And no, while he took a few recruits, he did not leave a squalid program. He left a team that should have had more than three wins the following year, if not coached by a deer caught in the headlights.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I root against PSU, more due to Paterno than Franklin. We're too tolerant of failure as it is. Without Franklin proving it could be done, we be even more tolerant, which would hurt the program.

His departure was actually not a lot different than many or most departures for new coaching jobs these days. At least he didn't leave before our bowl game, which is done at least as often as not. And no, while he took a few recruits, he did not leave a squalid program. He left a team that should have had more than three wins the following year, if not coached by a deer caught in the headlights.

CBJ's departure was objectively worse, yet he's welcome at Vanderbilt and has even been consulted on coaching hires.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

If this thread is indicative of the fanbase, i totally misjudged it. Maybe i just notice the negative.
Locked Previous topicNext topic