VU’s place in the SEC

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

VU’s place in the SEC

Post by Ndorefin »

How many of VU’s SEC opponents can go to bowls this year? All 8 of them! How many SEC teams are bowl eligible this year? All but VU! VU made a significant contribution to the SEC even though they didn’t win a game! How? If UF, Mo and USC had to play a team from the West instead of VU…..their chances of getting 6 wins would be greatly diminished! So, when anyone states VU shouldn’t get a share of the big check, remind them that VU is primarily responsible for getting 3 teams to bowl games, therefore, they earned it!

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!! 8-) AD*

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: VU’s place in the SEC

Post by FayetteDore »

Trash talk by other teams' fans is meaningless. To hell with them.

Vanderbilt is a charter member of the SEC, is the 14th ranked academic institution in the country, competes well in other sports, and has gone to bowls in years when others (including Tennessee) have not. Unless and until Vanderbilt WANTS to leave the SEC, which is another story, it's an SEC university.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

So their place is to provide wins to other member schools so that the SEC can maximize the number of bowl eligible teams. ;) I know that was tongue in cheek but I hope that an SEC school can eventually provide more value than that. You know Sewanee, Tulane and Georgia Tech were SEC founding members as well. Just saying.

This is all a moot point if they take steps to actually attempt to be competitive within the SEC in football and basketball - specifically football. There are signs with the $300 million investment launched this year and CCL's building the foundation of this program. It will be very interesting to see how competitive they are in 2 to 5 years.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Sewanee, Tulane and Georgia Tech all CHOSE to leave the SEC. None was forced out.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Ndorefin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:31 pm How many of VU’s SEC opponents can go to bowls this year? All 8 of them! How many SEC teams are bowl eligible this year? All but VU! VU made a significant contribution to the SEC even though they didn’t win a game! How? If UF, Mo and USC had to play a team from the West instead of VU…..their chances of getting 6 wins would be greatly diminished! So, when anyone states VU shouldn’t get a share of the big check, remind them that VU is primarily responsible for getting 3 teams to bowl games, therefore, they earned it!

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!! 8-) AD*
South Carolina can thank their lucky stars they pulled that game out at home in the waning seconds vs VU.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

C’mon guys….lighten up!!!
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

There is a big gap from 13 to 14 (soon to be 15-16). We are so far behind everyone in the league it isn't funny and the gap has widened in the last 5 years as our previous company at the bottom have invested while Vandy stood still.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:08 pmSouth Carolina can thank their lucky stars they pulled that game out at home in the waning seconds vs VU.
Same can be said for dozens, if not 100 or more, FB & MBB games over the last 50 years: "They were just lucky." At some point, "luck" fails as an explanation.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 am
MrMemorial wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:08 pmSouth Carolina can thank their lucky stars they pulled that game out at home in the waning seconds vs VU.
Same can be said for dozens, if not 100 or more, FB & MBB games over the last 50 years: "They were just lucky." At some point, "luck" fails as an explanation.
You said you put me on "ignore" - what happened to that? :roll:
Doreknox
Admiral

Re: VU’s place in the SEC?

Post by Doreknox »

Last. If I am not mistaken, thirteen of fourteen SEC schools are bowl eligible. Guess which one isn't?
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Is it a coincidence that we are nationally ranked #14 academically and #14 in the SEC in football?
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:26 pm Sewanee, Tulane and Georgia Tech all CHOSE to leave the SEC. None was forced out.
Indeed, and at least in the case of Tech, they thought they were going to better themselves in the process. Talk about mis-reading the tea leaves. Tulane and Sewanee weren't capable/willing to participate at the level of commitment that was necessary. I know that has been alleged about Vanderbilt in regard to football, but I don't subscribe to that theory in full.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

coachinwaiting wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:47 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:26 pm Sewanee, Tulane and Georgia Tech all CHOSE to leave the SEC. None was forced out.
Indeed, and at least in the case of Tech, they thought they were going to better themselves in the process. Talk about mis-reading the tea leaves. Tulane and Sewanee weren't capable/willing to participate at the level of commitment that was necessary. I know that has been alleged about Vanderbilt in regard to football, but I don't subscribe to that theory in full.
And as you well know, there was the Bobby Dodd-Bear Bryant feud, and other things that the academics-minded Dodd found distasteful about the SEC.

Hard to believe the once-classic Tech-Bama rivalry game was last played in 1984. They've signed for a home-and-home in 2030-31, which will make the reference to Tech in Bama's fight song ("Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave") relevant again, at least during those two years.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:01 pm
coachinwaiting wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:47 pm
And as you well know, there was the Bobby Dodd-Bear Bryant feud, and other things that the academics-minded Dodd found distasteful about the SEC.

Hard to believe the once-classic Tech-Bama rivalry game was last played in 1984. They've signed for a home-and-home in 2030-31, which will make the reference to Tech in Bama's fight song ("Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave") relevant again, at least during those two years.
Yes I do, and although I'm not old enough to really remember the details, I guess the distaste (I hesitate to say HATE), is a product of my environment. Perhaps what I have gleaned from conversations with those who were older at the time of the feud is also tainted with bias, but my understanding is that Tech's academic objections to the SEC were more of an excuse for Dodd's hissy fit when the conference didn't allow him to set rules and standards his way. Their independence didn't serve the university very well either. There have been only a few games against Tech in my lifetime (born in 1960), and most were when Coach Bryant attempted to renew the rivalry beginning in 1979. There were 6 meeting from 79-84. One of the ironies of the final meeting in 1984 is that the coaches were Ray Perkins on the Alabama side, and the man who would succeed him (Bill Curry) coaching Tech.
Locked Previous topicNext topic