Reports: Future SEC coach Lincoln Riley to USC

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Reports: Future SEC coach Lincoln Riley to USC

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Josh Heupel to Oklahoma?

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Re: Reports: Future SEC coach Lincoln Riley to USC

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Heupel to Oklahoma?

Wouldn't that be tragic? :o
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Wow, this now appears to be a done deal, at least according to "sources"...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say

That may be the biggest blockbuster coaching hire since Ohio State got Urban Meyer.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

No wonder Riley denied those LSU rumors. He already had a new job.

Big Game Bob fired Heupel at Oklahoma. Vol fans say he'd never go back. Maybe we'll see how many millions it takes CJH to forgive the Sooners?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Heupel's sister is married to Dan Boren, a big Oklahoma politico and former congressman. Her father in law was governor and a senator....and also PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY of OK. Maybe Josh wants to go "home". More importantly, maybe his wife wants to go to OK.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg (who covers the coaching carousel) has a list out of likely candidates. Heupel is on the list, although he says it would be "awkward" and "I'd be surprised if it happened." Lane Kiffin is on the list, as is Mark Stoops, Bob Stoops, and Brent Venables. But Adam Schefter is reporting the top candidate is Kliff Kingsbury, the former Texas Tech coach now coaching the Arizona Cardinals.

Oklahoma is definitely a marquee job. My thought was that they might promote from within, as they have had a good thing going for a while now. That would probably mean Alex Grinch, defensive coordinator.

In another story, Rittenberg grades USC's hire an A, and Florida's hire an A-.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

I don't know about the money involved, but I would think one of the big factors for Riley was getting out of the SEC. It would be extremely difficult to keep having 11 win seasons at Oklahoma once they make the move, and this may be the ideal time to get out.

Unless Kingsbury just hates the NFL, I can't imagine he would leave a successful job in the NFL to go to Oklahoma. I can't think of an example of a successful NFL head coach voluntarily going to the college ranks.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

Good point about the rarity of successful NFL coaches moving to the college game. The only one I can think of is Bill Walsh going back to Stanford. Even that was a few years after leaving the NFL.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Junnah wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:09 am Good point about the rarity of successful NFL coaches moving to the college game. The only one I can think of is Bill Walsh going back to Stanford. Even that was a few years after leaving the NFL.
Jim Harbaugh and Nick Saban are recent examples. I believe Dennis Green qualifies, too.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I wouldn’t consider Saban’s term with the Dolphins as “successful.”

15-17 in 2 seasons.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

baseball1234 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:42 pm Heupel's sister is married to Dan Boren, a big Oklahoma politico and former congressman. Her father in law was governor and a senator....and also PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY of OK. Maybe Josh wants to go "home". More importantly, maybe his wife wants to go to OK.
one can tantalizingly imagine the nuclear holocaust that would occur in k-town if jh were to bolt. c'mon josh, go do it!
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Doreknox wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:12 am
Junnah wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:09 am Good point about the rarity of successful NFL coaches moving to the college game. The only one I can think of is Bill Walsh going back to Stanford. Even that was a few years after leaving the NFL.
Jim Harbaugh and Nick Saban are recent examples. I believe Dennis Green qualifies, too.
Harbaugh had 3 very successful years at SF, then was pushed out the door at the end of his 4th. I don't think Green ever returned to college after going to the pros. And Saban had a losing record at Miami.

There are a lot of great college coaches that try their hand at the NFL, fail and return to the college ranks, but the only reason Kingsbury should talk to Oklahoma is to make the Cardinals up the ante on his next contract.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

katmai wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:43 pm I don't know about the money involved, but I would think one of the big factors for Riley was getting out of the SEC. It would be extremely difficult to keep having 11 win seasons at Oklahoma once they make the move, and this may be the ideal time to get out.

Unless Kingsbury just hates the NFL, I can't imagine he would leave a successful job in the NFL to go to Oklahoma. I can't think of an example of a successful NFL head coach voluntarily going to the college ranks.
Being reported that Riley and OU had the falling out over how the SEC vote took. Reportedly Riley was not allowed a seat at the table as the AD and Prez felt that the decision was too big for a "mere coach" to comprehend and that it was a long term decision and should be made by higher powers only. Not a good look when you already have a young coach engrained who was planning to be there longer than both the others.

However it went, both USC and OU handled their coaching decisions with class and dignity. Riley informed OU early enough that the Sooners already had Venables in place to take over. Details of Venables contract will be released later.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

OU's President complaining that they "would've liked more notice" of Riley's departure is rich...since the Big 12 found out about the school's departure from the league in a Houston Chronicle story.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

Interesting ESPN article in f/u. The arms race expands.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/328 ... eft-behind
Locked Previous topicNext topic