Thoughts on Vandy's loss to Tennessee

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Thoughts on Vandy's loss to Tennessee

Post by BrentVU »

First, I must give a little credit to the hated Vols. One year ago that program was decimated, with a coach fired amid allegations of improprieties after a 3-win season, players hitting the portal, and a fan base in disarray. Josh Heupel did quickly what Clark Lea is trying to do, but he did it by the quick fix. He hit the portal hard and found a QB. He installed a fun-to-watch, up-tempo offense that started to click after three or four games. He went 7-5, 4-4 SEC out of the gate. He re-energized the fans, and now has those of the checkerboarded overalls persuasion convinced that UT will soon re-assume its rightful place atop the SEC.

Clark Lea would have liked to do all those things, but didn't get it done in the first year. Some of the reasons why were apparent Saturday. His team did so many good things! His defense made a stand and stopped a UT drive in the red zone. His offense scored on a Hail Mary. He went for it 7 times on fourth down and converted five of them (including-- gasp!-- once from his own 12). His offense dominated time of possession (for the second week in a row). Vandy had a 13-play touchdown drive and a TWENTY-play touchdown drive. Rocko Griffin again had a 100-plus yard day. The D finally knocked Hendon Hooker out of the game. But it wasn't nearly enough.

The game was lost in the first half when Wright threw a bad pick-6, and Vandy's offense couldn't convert its drives into points. Sensing Vandy was committing to stop the long ball, UT went to the ground game and ground up Vandy, to the tune of 6.8 yards per rushing play. Forced to play from behind, the Dores never quit, but didn't have gas in the tank to stop Tennessee, and don't have the offense built to play catch-up. (When Vandy recovered the fumble with 4:43 left and down 38-21, I thought Lynch should have put in Ken Seals, whose strength is the two-minute drill.) The Vols had a good defensive game plan and were ready for just about everything Vandy threw at them, including the option. They got just enough pressure on Wright to make him jumpy in the pocket, and that affected his accuracy; and they never let him get loose for the big gain. They designated a linebacker to spy on Wright, and their run defense was excellent.

Vandy played this game without OT Bradley Ashmore (his replacement was beaten badly on a key sack), Patrick Smith (arguably Vandy's best RB), and De'Rickey Wright (scratched again this week for an off-the-field issue; the defense last week was much better with him in). This was in addition to Daevion Davis, Vandy's best defensive lineman. But everyone's banged up this time of year; UT was without its best O-lineman. And at least we didn't lose our best RB mid-week to the portal, as UT did.

So now, 30 Vandy seniors will get on with their lives (though there are persistent rumors that some of them might return for a fifth season). Signing Day is 17 days away, and the class is nowhere near full. And Clark Lea must decide whether changes are in order for his offensive staff; there were times when it seemed unclear what was going on in the game planning, and it showed on the field. David Raih seemed to disappear from view, and Joey Lynch was unexpectedly thrust into the role of play-caller. It was never clear what the offense's identity was to be, but it never lived up to the aspirations Raih expressed for it back in the offseason. What ever happened to VANDY's up-tempo offense? Going forward, will it be Mike Wright or Ken Seals (their styles and abilities are drastically different)-- or somebody else? (Will it even matter if the pass protection doesn't get better soon?)

I liked it that Coach Lea talked about the "rage to change" in the postgame. Someone needs to be angry about the way this season turned out. Lea's program was probably lower than Heupel's to start with, but Heupel unquestionably did more with what he had when he started. For me, the big question in the off-season is what happens with the offensive staff. On the one hand, Lea is "all about relationships" and not likely to shake up his staff after one season; but that offense was just painful to watch at times, and was even worse than the 2020 Covid season under Todd Fitch. Production was abysmal; Vandy was last in the SEC in just about every offensive category, except punting. So... will his "rage" fuel staff and/or philosophical changes on the offensive side? it will be interesting to watch.

Instead of investing myself in a wasted day in the Heart of Darkness, I should have stayed home to watch all those great games on TV, which knocked the playoff picture into disarray. Michigan upsets Ohio State (I called that one), and Okie State finally upset the Sooners. Derek Mason did a masterful job against Bryce Young and Alabama, but still lost. (It's absolutely unfair how that rivalry produces so much drama year after year, and our rivalry produces comparatively so little.) Jimbo Fisher became one of the few coaches (maybe the only one ever?) to beat Nick Saban and lose to Ed Orgeron in the same year. Rivalry Week delivered, big-time.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Vandy's loss to Tennessee

Post by FayetteDore »

Excellent analysis, as always. No doubt that both teams were far better than they were at the start of the season (the reverse IS possible: witness Florida). Although the loss to ETSU shouldn't have happened, it's worth noting that they are 10-1 and heading into the FCS playoffs (with a coach who played and coached in the SEC for decades). Going for it on 4th down that many times was reminiscent of Franklin -- but would the normally conservative CCL have done that so much if VU weren't so far behind. But then I've always been in favor of going for it more often.

Just curious: Other than the game itself, what was your experience over there? How were their fans? When I saw UT was selling tickets for $28, I almost went.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I have to say that I was generally pleased with ow the team generally improved from game to game. And I think the coaching grew better as well. Plenty of room for improvement though, both in the players and the coaching.

And recruiting over the next 17 days will be very interesting, both from the HS pool and the portal.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Thanks Brent. Sundays aren’t as good without your comments.

I thought the difference in player quality was clearer today that at almost any time during the season. I liked our three yards and a cloud of turf philosophy. I note, however, it worked best in the second half after we were 3 TD’s behind. I do wonder why we didn’t feature more QB option runs. And am well aware that our line does leave us few options, wonder if that was one of them.

On D the speed of UT versus our (very hard working) defensive backs was especially glaring. As was the holes on the edges UT opened up.

Similarly our ALWAYS taking a touch back on kickoffs was yet another pointer of our personnel shortcomings.

The team, as noted above, showed no quit and indeed showed improvement as the year wore on. We are in serious need of a stout recruitment class and some difference making transfers. Next year’s QB presents an interesting question as well.

I’m thinking, at the way too early stage, that doubling our win total and not getting blown out in the first half of any game would make next year a success.

Happy holidays all
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Brent, amazing analysis as always! Reading your words brings to life some of my thoughts that I just can't articulate as well as you. I went in expecting a 40+ point blowout yesterday and admittedly flipped the channel after the pick 6 as I was pre-empting the anticipated blowout. Though, I watched some other games I stayed glued to ESPN Gamecast in the hopes that I had a reason to turn it back on. I know - it doesn't sound like much of a fan but believe me, my blood pressure goes down significantly when following that plan.

One thing I am really going to keep my eye on is how much of the anticipated improvement is recruiting and how much is coaching. I realize that it is some combination of the two but with a currently #40 class (#12 in the SEC) that will need to climb where we see some 4 star guys. Coaching up the talent that they have is important as they can make players bigger, faster and improve their football IQ and motivation but that has a pretty low ceiling by itself IMHO.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

As always, I'm thankful for all of your posts and especially love your post-game analysis.

I must admit to be a little relieved that Vandy's first season is over.

Yes, I thought the team seemed to improve as the year went on and, from afar, there seems to be some buy-in to Coach Lea and the direction of the program. Yes, some head-scratching things happened. I'm still trying to figure out why Vandy lost to ETSU and how it lost to South Carolina. Wins in those games would have made the season seem much more successful and the program would be a much easier sell, going forward.

During a season, it seems difficult to change direction too much. You certainly can't add personnel and, even changing coaches seems counter-productive. The off-season, though, brings about hope and I am very hopeful that Vandy will be much improved next year. (By the way, I did pick Vandy to somehow win six games this season. Yes, my glasses are heavily gold tinted.) The off-season will be all about program (player and coaching) development, player retention, and recruitment. I believe progress will be made in all those areas.

As Coach Lea might say, let's win the off-season.

Forever a hopeful Vandy fan!!
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Brent certainly rose to the occasion with his excellent postgame analysis of VANDY-UTK.

Heupel was clearly the right hire at the right time for Them, but when have they NOT been perpetually convinced that UTK will soon re-assume its rightful place atop the SEC? How will they respond if/when the team backslides under him?
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:14 am Just curious: Other than the game itself, what was your experience over there? How were their fans? When I saw UT was selling tickets for $28, I almost went.
There's no question, the last "Decade of Dysfunction" has made Tennessee fans a lot more humble. The price for anyone who wanted a ticket to this game was not very much. Whole upper sections were empty, on a cold November afternoon during Thanksgiving week, with so much better football available for free on TV. UT fans still love their Vols, but the passion is not what it used to be.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I appreciate the optimism-I wish i could share it.

Over a lifetime of watching this, only Franklin elevated the program to where it hoped to be . And even though I loved Coach Mac, his success was brief (though lots of fun).

I am afraid that Lea immediately must make a major change in OC, quarterback coach, special teams coach. And offensive line coach has to be under a microscope as well.
These deficiencies just hurt the team too often, and too significantly.

With regard to defense, that is harder to come to conclusion on. Several important short-yardage stands in several games seemed to be momentum boosters-too often, however, the offense just couldn't seize the opportunity .

I think Lea is really under pressure now that he sees where things stand. I hope he can make the tough personnel decisions for the good of the players and the program.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Lea needs to make wholesale changes in the staff, recruit like hell, and hit the portal like a hurricane!! If he doesn't he will be canned like so many other coaches. He needs to show a little more passion in his speeches and his demeanor. I mean you can talk about improvement all you want but the team still gave up 45 points. That pass play, in the beginning, was a ridiculous call when only needing 2 yards. That set the tone right off the bat(a SOV move). I am not a big fan of Lea but I do hope he does what it takes to succeed. Talk is cheap...walk the walk!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic