Don’t Badmouth the Dores today…

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Don’t Badmouth the Dores today…

Post by DS2001 »

Yeah, we were beaten by a better team, but I saw a fight and never quit attitude that hasn’t been there all season. Mike Wright is our QB for the foreseeable future. Let’s build around him.

VU1970
Admiral

Re: Don’t Badmouth the Dores today…

Post by VU1970 »

They looked like an SEC football team again.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VU1970 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:33 pm They looked like an SEC football team again.
The last 2 games were their best two. Lots of work, but they improved during the season.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Wasn't it 24-0 until a first half ending hail Mary?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

That's apparently the best we can ever hope for.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Now that the administration appears to be on board, it will take time to significantly improve the quality of our program through recruiting, in my view. I am optimistic about our future. Bama, no. But a much higher level of play than we have experienced in recent years.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I will reserve full judgement until I see how Lea handles this offseason. If he doesn't make some staff changes and hits the recruiting trail as well as the portal HARD....we will just have more of the same. THIS offseason is where we need to see some changes and improvements.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

My hunch is that in private, he has gotten over being allergic to transfers...now that it's obvious some veteran players that have been in a college weight program for a year or two can really make a difference. Like late in the South Carolina game which we pretty much had won.
CPerk
Lieutenant

Post by CPerk »

He’s already said he’s not against transfers, was just against bringing in a bunch of transfers right off the bat before the current players had a chance to show what they have
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

2 wins, and playing some good football down the stretch- (including in league action on the road)? I’ll take it. Somehow, someway, we actually have the littlest of something to build around. All we could ask for from Team 1 given the circumstances IMHO. No badmouthing here.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

I am going to choose to take the optimistic view and think that Lea may be able to grow into a successful coach at Vanderbilt. It seems apparent that he isn't the slam dunk hire like Franklin was, but I did see some signs of improvement as the year progressed. The big key is convincing some difference makers on the recruiting trail that Vanderbilt has a bright future under Lea. The talent gap with most of the SEC is glaring, especially with team speed and the lines. The down year for most of the elite academic schools (Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, etc.) may help.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

katmai wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:51 pm I am going to choose to take the optimistic view and think that Lea may be able to grow into a successful coach at Vanderbilt. It seems apparent that he isn't the slam dunk hire like Franklin was, but I did see some signs of improvement as the year progressed. The big key is convincing some difference makers on the recruiting trail that Vanderbilt has a bright future under Lea. The talent gap with most of the SEC is glaring, especially with team speed and the lines. The down year for most of the elite academic schools (Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, etc.) may help.
And you could even mention Southern Cal, 27th ranked school academically and very expensive. Over 70,000 students applied for admission to the undergraduate class entering in 2021, with 12% being admitted. They are 4-7 today with a game yet to be made up. (Yes, the USCw that gave up 62 to UCLA....in football, not basketball). Northwestern (3-9) gave up 56 to 3-9 Nebraska. Duke with the same league record as VU. Tough year indeed for the smart kids.
Locked Previous topicNext topic