A 14-team league with only 4 games???

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

A 14-team league with only 4 games???

Post by historybill »

Here we are in the middle of what we used to call "football season."

There are only 4 games involving SEC teams this week even though it is now a 14-team league. That's right... SIX teams have a bye this week -- Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, South Carolina and Texas A&M.

I suspect you have to go back pretty far to find an October Saturday with only 4 games involving SEC teams. Maybe back before they added Arkansas and South Carolina in 1990?

Meanwhile there are TEN games involving SEC teams the weekend before Thanksgiving and NINE involving SEC teams the weekend after Thanksgiving... both of which, I suspect, will be weekends on which most college students aren't on campus.

So they are going to great lengths to have games when students are NOT on campus and going to great lengths to NOT have games when they are.

All I can say is.. bleah.

admin
Site Admin

Re: A 14-team league with only 4 games???

Post by admin »

Attendance is not a priority anymore. Only TV money.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I understand your sentiment, but I don't follow.

The schedule this weekend is so sparse that there isn't a game until 3 pm. That's right... there isn't a single game to fill the 11 am-2 pm time slot which I thought was always filled.

Why is there more money to be made from 9 games on a Saturday in late November and 4 in late October than by putting 7 on one day and 6 on the other?

Will there be twice as many people watching TV a month from now?
Last edited by historybill on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

It's hard to believe the league's television partner(s) (soon to be only one) puts up with this, or the schedule for the next-to-last Saturday of the season which is usually stuffed with games against FCS opponents or the weakest Group of Five opponents possible.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

historybill wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:01 am I understand your sentiment, but I don't follow.

The schedule this weekend is so sparse that there isn't a game until 3 pm. That's right... there isn't a single game to fill the 11 am-2 pm time slot which I thought was always filled.

Why is there more money to be made from 9 games on a Saturday in late November and 4 in late October than by putting 7 on one day and 6 on the other?

Will there be twice as many people watching TV a month from now?
My guess is that there will be much more folks watching a month from now. Fall youth sports are finishing up (which keep folks out and about on Saturdays). If there is a little lull between fall and winter sports around Thanksgiving (which there is where I live) then folks will be home and ready/able to watch more football. I also know that on Thanksgiving weekend, I tell everyone to leave me alone because I'm watching football all day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. That includes telling my in-laws to buzz off (and I'm always max respectful to them) because Thanksgiving weekend football is always appointment television for me.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I suppose the real reason there are only 4 games this week in the 14-team SEC is that one of them is the seismic clash of the titans... Vanderbilt versus Missouri. I mean... that's up there with Alabama-Auburn in terms of ratings. Time will stand still in cities such as Nashville and Kansas City.
Locked Previous topicNext topic