Offensive line issues

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Offensive line issues

Post by BrentVU »

Vandy's offensive line had a difficult time holding out Mississippi State's blitz-happy defense Saturday, and Mike Wright was unable to stay in the pocket in a lot of plays. State sacked Wright three times, was credited with four QB hurries, and forced him to scramble and/or throw the ball away too many times to count. Meanwhile Vandy rushed for 9 yards total, and got stuffed going up the middle every time.

Saturday marked the debut of true freshman Xavier Delfin Castillo, a 6-5, 330-pounder from Florida. He replaced Ben Cox at right guard, who missed the game with an undisclosed injury. I thought this was an interesting move: there are any number of experienced O-linemen in the wings who haven't played much this year: Dan Dawkins, Jonathan Stewart, Bryce Bailey, etc. But Vandy went with the freshman the whole way.

I wasn't watching the line all that closely Saturday, but I suspect at least some of the problems the line had may have been from having a newbie at right guard. But obviously, the coaches have seen some things they like in Castillo, and he definitely looks the part. It might be something to watch next week if Cox can't start.