Jeremy Moussa part of the gameplan this week?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Jeremy Moussa part of the gameplan this week?

Post by BrentVU »

Reading between the lines... on the Commodore Hour tonight, Coach expressed how pleased he had been with Jeremy Moussa's performance... playing with the 2's, he "got the ball out of his hands very quickly" and got the ball into the hands of the talented receivers. He also expressed some displeasure with Mike Wright's performance. "There were a lot of plays Mike would like to have back," he said. Ken Seals continues to be "week-to-week", but it doesn't sound promising for this week.

Just wondering out loud if we might see an early shift to Moussa and a quick-passing attack if things don't get off to a good start with Wright against Missouri.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Jeremy Moussa part of the gameplan this week?

Post by admin »

They need to do anything that will improve our offense.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

You can listen to the podcast here. Coach Lea also has some interesting reminiscences and observations about Dave Clawson and Wake Forest. The football stuff starts about halfway through.

Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

The stats didn’t look great, but it was a short sample. I thought Moussa made a good throw on the first drive to Abdul-Rahman for what would have been a first down.

One other incomplete pass was clearly just thrown away.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

I would lean towards Wright, especially against a Mizzou Defense that’s been downright bad against mobile QBs like Mike. On October 2nd vs. Mizzou, Vols QB Hendon Hooker put up 3 passing TDs and 225 yards in the air while also having a rushing TD and 80 yards on the ground. The Vols put up nearly 460 yards of total rushing - including 156 from their leading RB. All in all it’s in Vanderbilt’s favor to throw out guys who can create in open space and have SEC-level speed, Mike Wright, Patrick Smith, Rocko Griffin, and get the receivers more involved in short passes and tosses to take advantage of a Mizzou defense that’s been terrible against the run thus far.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I was impressed by Moussa. He clearly knew what he was doing -- and knew he could do it.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Wright has the ability to make some spectacular plays, but I have never seen him appear to be "in rhythm" and string multiple successful plays together in a row.
Admittedly this depends on the rest of the players on offense, which hasn't been consistent either.
Ken Seals hasn't strung together a complete game, but we have certainly seen stretches of good play from him. The 98 yard drive against Stanford was a thing of beauty - then he turned around and threw a really bad pick on the next possession. He hasn't showed the ability to stay in a groove for prolonged time, but he has at least been in a groove.
Seals obviously isn't available so it's a moot point.

Wright vs Moussa comes down to whether you think the defense can make it a low scoring game. A few Wright big plays could win a 17-14 game. But to win a 35-28 game, we will need a QB to play consistently and as much as I love Wright's explosiveness I don't think 4 quarters of consistent play is what we get from him at this stage of his career. We don't know whether Moussa can do that or not, but at this point it is worth a shot.
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

I haven’t seen anything to make me think Wright might score a ling rushing TD. While he surely has the speed to do so, I have seen numerous instances where he had lanes but did not take them, opting instead to run out of bounds (often short of the LOS). We need a mobile QB with an attitude toward running the ball similar to Matt Corrall’s (or for that matter cutler’s)
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I'm hoping that Lea is throwing a head fake and that Seals plays this week. Last week all the news re MSU's starter being out was simply a bag of wind. Given the difference in style between Wright and Seals this could be a big deal with Mizzu planning for X and getting Y.

Nevertheless, Lea seems like such a straight shooter I highly suspect its Moussa much more likely than Seals being the more traditional QB next week.

One last thought, with this being our last best shot to a win this year (albeit at 17 point dogs) i hope the coaches have come up with some creative ideas to get us the upset.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

dore74 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:12 pm One last thought, with this being our last best shot to a win this year (albeit at 17 point dogs) i hope the coaches have come up with some creative ideas to get us the upset.
Honestly, I did a spit take when I read this line...
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:22 pm
dore74 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:12 pm One last thought, with this being our last best shot to a win this year (albeit at 17 point dogs) i hope the coaches have come up with some creative ideas to get us the upset.
Honestly, I did a spit take when I read this line...
ya gotta believe!!!!
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I just don't get how folks are still enamored with Wright as a "mobile" QB that can make plays with his legs.
Have we seen any of that? I only get that if you mean he can run out of bounds quicker. Laterally.
I hope Moussa starts if Seals is out. But my guess is we will give most of the first half to Wright.
Then when they are up 20+ points they will turn it over to Moussa with a one dimensional offense playing from behind.
There is no way that Wright earned another start. I just don't see how going to Moussa could possibly be worse. Nor do I think Wright will somehow magically get better this week.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Wright OR Moussa won't be able to do anything unless the O-Line can block! THAT has been the problem all year!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Versus75
Admiral

I don’t think I will see it this week, but …

Post by Versus75 »

… I liked the approach that Louisville took under Bobby Petrino when the backup QB was nearly as talented as the starter. Or their styles of play were different.

The guy at the top of the depth chart would start and likely play most of the game. The no. 2 guy would run the first series (of a new possession) in the second quarter. Then back to no. 1.

By pre-planning and doing this, nobody is wondering “Why the change?” or “Is the starter in the doghouse?”

No. 2 gets meaningful experience with and against starters. He stays alert and is ready if needed later in the game.

The combo could be Seals/Wright or Wright/Moussa. In either case, two guys are ready and contribute. Could throw off the defenses somewhat as well.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

belair wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:17 pm I just don't get how folks are still enamored with Wright as a "mobile" QB that can make plays with his legs.
Have we seen any of that? I only get that if you mean he can run out of bounds quicker. Laterally.
I hope Moussa starts if Seals is out. But my guess is we will give most of the first half to Wright.
Then when they are up 20+ points they will turn it over to Moussa with a one dimensional offense playing from behind.
There is no way that Wright earned another start. I just don't see how going to Moussa could possibly be worse. Nor do I think Wright will somehow magically get better this week.
I think a mobile QB could be very beneficial with our offensive protection as spotty as it has been all year. I don't understand why they keep Wright in the pocket as much as they do. I think Wright's problems are that he doesn't read the defense very well, he doesn't go through his progressions, and he doesn't see the field very well. Perhaps that can improve with experience. I think Seals is the better option when he is healthy, even though he is not as mobile. Unfortunately, I don't think Lea is blowing smoke about his injury. He still had it bandaged as of Tuesday this week, so I can't imagine he would be able to practice and be ready for Saturday. When I saw his bandaged hand a couple of days after he got hurt, I thought he was going to be out for several weeks.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Sure i'm the only one who doesn't know. How is Moussa pronounced? I've heard about 3 different ones.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Moossa, Mousa, Musketeer
Locked Previous topicNext topic