What’s Wake Forest doing…,

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

What’s Wake Forest doing…,

Post by DS2001 »

That they can hang 70 on a decent Army team? I know they gave up 56 but if you can ring up the points, you’ve got a better chance of winning. Looks like either Wake or Pitt is going to win the ACC.
Also, MTSU buried UConn 44-13. We had to have a FG at the buzzer to beat UConn.
I guess the old adage “it’s always darkest before the dawn”hopefully will hold for us down the road.

DivergentDore
Commander

Re: What’s Wake Forest doing…,

Post by DivergentDore »

They run an exciting offense with lots of spacing. We run an exciting defense with too much spacing.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Wake is excelling in the fundamentals:

[tweet][/tweet]
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

They are not recovering from Derek Mason
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:56 pm Wake is excelling in the fundamentals:

[tweet][/tweet]
I get the point but it's difficult to argue that you are a fundamental football team when giving up 56 points TO Army and almost 600 yards of total offense. Army had previously scored 23 (Miami (OH)) - 16 (Ball St) an 14 (Wisonsin) just prior to this game. Wake can certainly score points though.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

They have stuck with their coach for 7 years. He started his first 2 years at 3-9 but they gave him a chance to build his team. Not saying Lea will be our answer but complaining in year 1 when Vandy has a huge talent deficit in the most talented conference is not going to accomplish anything. Also, their OC is in his 8th year there. Consistency in a system helps a lot too. Again, I am not saying Lynch should be the guy but changing OC every year will not build a high powered offense.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Cheating. I like it.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

The 70 points vs. Army were a bit of an anomaly and were the result of a total mismatch between Wake's receivers, a very good QB, and slow, undersized DBs. Wake scored 9 offensive TDs on only about 50 plays and well under 20 minutes ToP. But the defense vs. so inept against Army's option they had to keep putting up points. That said, to echo 89's point, once Clawson put his system and players in place, his offense has been putting up consistent numbers, averaging 30+ points/game 5 years running. This is after "memorable" wins in his first two years of 3-0 vs. BC, and an OT win in the infamous game vs. Va. Tech that was scoreless after regulation.

To Auric's point, Clawson redshirts players 'til it hurts, and the former 3-star recruits he is playing are often 4th, 5th, and occasionally 6th year players. (Think Bennett's UVa basketball teams). With this experience, Wake does not commit a lot of penalties and usually wins the turnover battle. Wake also has arguably the best placekicker in college football.

VU and Wake aren't apples-apples, but Lea has coached under Clawson twice so no doubt he absorbed some lessons to move us forward. Unfortunately, it may take at least two more years to find out.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Irony - Dave Clawson was reviled and hated in Knoxville for the short time he served as OC for Fulmer's last 2 years as HC. He sure has done well at Wake.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Every place he’s been he’s had success in his fourth or fifth season after several 2-, 3- or 4-win seasons.

He had a 10-3 season at Fordham in 2002, 9-4 at Richmond in 2005 and 11-3 at Richmond in 2007, and 10-3 at Bowling Green in 2013. He was 8-5 at Wake Forest in 2019 but dropped to 4-5 last year (Covid).

I wonder if he’s on LSU’s list? LSU fans probably wouldn’t give him four to five years to be successful.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Wake's offense is a lot better than ours. It took us six games to score 70 points.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Here's a good Pete Thamel story on Wake's offense.

How did Wake Forest arrive at this generational moment? Well, much like its offense – both slowly and lightning fast. The Demon Deacons got here by a tempo offense that’s defined by a delayed run game, invented out of necessity and tweaked to its current juggernaut by one of the game’s most innovative coordinators.

They’ve shined without the benefits of recruiting stars, as they’ve twice in the past five years had the ACC’s lowest rated recruiting class. And they’ve built gradually thanks to coaching continuity and a scheme that has put Wake Forest a step ahead in Dave Clawson’s eighth season there.

https://sports.yahoo.com/70-points-in-1 ... 28148.html
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

Thanks Auric. I like this quote as well:
"Clawson complimented Ruggiero’s ability to identify unpolished gems and project how well players will fit in Wake Forest’s offense. That effort is aided by the continuity of Wake’s staff, as running backs coach John Hunter, receivers coach Kevin Higgins and offensive line coach Nick Tabacca have been there all eight of Clawson’s seasons. (Tight ends coach Wayne Lineburg is the new offensive coach, in his fifth year on the staff.)"

Again, I am not saying Lynch is the guy but I feel like we have been very quick to fire our DC and OC. Ludwig stayed 4 years and his offense was gaining some momentum, then the carousel started again.
Locked Previous topicNext topic