Why doesn’t Vanderbilt try an offense like MSU?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Why doesn’t Vanderbilt try an offense like MSU?

Post by Golddore68 »

MSU’s offense is what Vanderbilt should try to do. Instead Vanderbilt’s Stone Age offense is just plodding along and can’t score enough to win.

The fast-paced, no huddle, run ‘n shoot - type offense would be much better.

1. It’s the new generation of college offenses. UT, Ole Miss and MSU all run those type of offenses. They frequently play with no huddles, they rush to the line and quick snap it before defenses have chances to react. It is hard to stop. These offenses put up a lot of points. Every play is either a quick pass to a receiver or running back or a quarterback run or quick handoff to a running back to pick up first downs.

2. Recruits would rather play for exciting offenses, especially quarterbacks and receivers. Vanderbilt would have a better chance at the recruits who could make that type of offense work.

I had hoped that CCL would set up that type of offense but it looks more like CDM’s offense so far.

DivergentDore
Commander

Re: Why doesn’t Vanderbilt try an offense like MSU?

Post by DivergentDore »

Defensive minded coaches won't allow those types offenses as "their guys" on the defensive side get thrust back onto field too quickly. For some reason defensive oriented head coaches prefer the 3 and out from tight bunch groupings.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Eh. This type of offense with no talent looks just as bad. Imagine 3 short incompletions and a punt. A few picks.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I don't mind being a broken record with my posts. Any offensive system requires a strong OL. Our line doesn't open running lanes and doesn't protect the QB. CCL has to find a way to recruit 4 star linemen.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I'm always leery of "system" coaches who are rigidly attached to a specific scheme.
There is always an opponent matchup or a game situation where it's ill-suited.

It's fine to say "X works well against this defense." Great: call more X plays.
When you ask for a "system" offense, what you are effectively saying is "I want a offense that excludes everything except X."

Vanderbilt has incorporated a lot of the stuff MSU does at various times.
Vanderbilt has used a lot of quick passes this year - sometimes successful, sometimes not.
There also been times that Vanderbilt went to a hurry-up/no-huddle scheme and it worked - for a while the guys on the other website were ranting about why they dropped the hurry up when it was working... but hurry up is a great follow up to a successful play especially when you have favorable matchups with the defensive personnel the opponent has on the field... it kind of sucks when you just had an unsuccessful play and need to regroup, or when the defensive personnel on the field are a matchup problem - in this case it's just a way to go 3-and-out even faster.

There are some things MSU does well that we' don't do a lot of.
Swing passes to a RB that are effectively "race to the corner" - this works well when you have RBs that are faster than the defenders. MSU isn't overwhelming talented everywhere, but they do have some elite quick RBs and of course this scheme looks great against Vanderbilt which is not particularly quick on defense.
Screen passes - Vanderbilt hasn't been good at running screens for so long I can't off the top of my head remember when we did run screens well - by which I mean screens with OL out front blocking. It sure would help slow down the pass rush if we could. My only guess is that our OL are not athletic enough when they're on the move in space. I remember a couple of good screens to Keyshawn Vaughn but also a number when he basically had to battle a defender for the ball or got slammed as he was making the catch.

So if you say "I'd like it if Vanderbilt had really quick RBs who could take swing passes and beat the D to the edge, and run screens really well, and better downfield blocking, and the kind of flawless execution to run several plays in a row without a huddle," I'm all with you.
If you say "I don't want our offense to be able to do anything other than those things," I don't see how that helps.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

There is one common thing about everything we try on offense: it is not executed quickly and crisply enough to succeed.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Why not? That scheme was able to score 2 points against Kentucky last year — if you credit that offence for the safety.
Locked Previous topicNext topic