Thoughts on Vandy's loss to the Fighting Leaches

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Thoughts on Vandy's loss to the Fighting Leaches

Post by BrentVU »

There were lots of things to talk about from Saturday's Homecoming loss, lots of things that stuck in Vandy fans' craw (the overturned Mahoney INT, the devastating kicker-roughing call, etc.). But analysis of this game ultimately boils down to one key stat: 9 total rushing yards on 17 attempts. To beat a team like Mississippi State, one MUST run the ball effectively and shorten the game. Mississippi State's run defense put on a clinic, stuffing Vandy both inside and outside. Last year in Starkville, Vandy got a 100+ yard rushing effort from Keyon Henry-Brooks and kept the game close, almost won! This year, with no Henry-Brooks (now at Louisiana Tech, where he's riding the bench) and no Re'Mahn Davis (out injured, let's remind ourselves), Vandy is having big trouble manufacturing rushing yards against the SEC's upper-tier defenses. The longest running play of the day was 5 yards, and the average was half a yard. Without a reliable running game, there was no chance, ZERO, of beating the Bullies. We had to ask the impossible of our defense, and they weren't up to it.

I thought Vandy had a decent defensive gameplan against the Air Raid, and the D produced some sacks and turnovers. Overall I am pleased by the week-to-week improvement of the defense. But defending one of Mike Leach's teams demands a lot from any defense, and eventually, it just wore down from all Will Rogers' nickel-and-diming. The Maroons converted 10 of 16 third downs.

Soph QB Mike Wright, making his second start, looked as uncomfortable this week as he had comfortable the previous week. MSU's pressure seemed to make him nervous, and I don't think the offensive staff did enough to let him do what he does best. Last week had raised my expectations for Wright, but this week he looked like the Wright who had been ineffective early in the season in a relief role. So, now what? Jeremy Moussa came in late in the game and looked pretty good throwing on every down (5-of-8). I watched Ken Seals closely on the sidelines, and it's not apparent at all what his injury is. He looks fine. (I thought I saw a brace on his wrist, but on further review, it was the wristband with the plays that the QB's all wear. So who knows if Seals will be back next week, or if we won't see him again this season?) Wright was 17-of-25 today, with several of those incompletions that were intentionally thrown out of bounds, so he was fairly accurate throwing. But MSU took away what he does best-- scramble-- and kept him jittery with pressure, sacking him three times. He threw one momentum-changing, wounded-duck interception after we had just gotten one ourselves.

Coach also mentioned that Anchor De'Rickey Wright missed the game today for (what sounded like) a violation of team rules, attributable to "immaturity".

Other than all that, it was a great afternoon. Mississippi State brought a decent amount of fans, but they didn't outnumber us. Next year the Bulldogs go off our schedule (we trade them for a trip to Tuscaloosa). Next week? The Missouri Tigers, same bat-time, same bat-channel (3 pm, the SEC Network) before a week off to regroup. It may be Vandy's last realistic chance for a win this season; but not unless we can figure out how to manufacture a running game. (For those wondering where Patrick Smith was today, he's great with the ball in space, but at 5-10 185, he's a liability in pass pro. Rocko Griffin may not be as dynamic, but he's durable and doesn't fumble.)

dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Vandy's loss to the Fighting Leaches

Post by dore74 »

Thanks Brent. Watched this AM. Thought the defensive scheme was decent. Again we have to deal with the combo of slow defensive backfield and a front that needs help to pressure the QB. So we did what we did.
Our offense needs better line play. Would be interested to see how we’d be with Seals in at QB and if we too could dink and dunk our way down field. Wonder if/when Seals come back we play we play Wright at flanker and keep the other side off base.
Four more to go then the real season begins—recruiting!!
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Speed - or a lack thereof. It was telling that on the 60+-yard pass play Boddie was caught from behind by 2 DB's. Our guys are playing with effort and courage, but they just don't match up well with most SEC opponents.
dorefaninktown
Petty Officer

Post by dorefaninktown »

I doubt we'll see seals this year.

You nailed it, you don't win without a modest run game nor any pass protection. Our defense tried hard after the inevitable base defense of the first 2 drives where we scout out how they score several times to come up with a plan to combat it.

I thought this was a terrible matchup and was not wrong.

I honestly think we beat Missouri.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I wish I knew enough to know how we went from competitive (24-17) on their field last year to blown out at home in 2021. I suspect that the answer might not have much to do with anything, but still.

There was so much hoopla over Leach's air raid offense that many of us may have been surprised by MSU's defense. They were definitely ready for Mike Wright and our run game.

Seeing how hard this team is working makes it easier to forgive team one for failing to meet my unreasonable expectations.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

VU1970, the TV crew commented on this (I think it was them, maybe it was Aria it the Tennessean). One HUGE difference is tht Keyon Henry-Brooks rushed for over 100 yards himself last year and we didn't come close to that as a TEAM Saturday. We had no rushing game Saturday, and we did a year ago.
Doresince89
Commander

Post by Doresince89 »

Seadog73 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:00 am Speed - or a lack thereof. It was telling that on the 60+-yard pass play Boddie was caught from behind by 2 DB's. Our guys are playing with effort and courage, but they just don't match up well with most SEC opponents.
I said the exact thing to my friends yesterday. Boddie had good separation (at least a step) and Mike hit him in stride at full speed. Any other SEC receiver not playing Georgia or Alabama would have cruised into the endzone but Boddie had to stop after a few yards and try to make a move on guys who were behind him. I love our players and their effort but there are some things you can't "fix"
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VU1970 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 pm They were definitely ready for Mike Wright and our run game.
We had a run game Saturday? I missed that.

Maybe if Rehman Davis comes back healthy next season...
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:02 pm
VU1970 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 pm They were definitely ready for Mike Wright and our run game.
We had a run game Saturday? I missed that.

Maybe if Rehman Davis comes back healthy next season...
Definitely hope Davis is back, but have some doubt that Derrick Henry could do much behind our line.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

The effort witnessed in the SC game was missing last Sat. Saw it from Mike Wright. The most frequent play was go to the pocket, look at one receiver, then bail out to the right and head for the sideline.
He looked to be primarily concerned with avoiding the hit. At least once he danced out only a yard or two from the 1st down marker.
It seemed to be everybody. Players and coaching staff with no energy whatsoever.
Last week I was fired up for the effort shown and angered by the way we lost.
This week I just don't care. Apathetic team. Apathetic fan base. Worse
Locked Previous topicNext topic