Lipscomb 38, CPA 0; report on Vandy prospects

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Lipscomb 38, CPA 0; report on Vandy prospects

Post by BrentVU »

Lipscomb Academy put a whipping on CPA last night in a battle of perhaps the two ascendant private schools in the state; the Mustangs avenged their close loss in last year's state championship game. I was there and kept my eye on these players:

RB/LB Langston Patterson, CPA (committed to Vandy): It was a rough night for Patterson, as the CPA running attack was no match for a swarming LA defense. Most of his carries went for 0 to 3 yards, although he did have a 17-yarder. However, he's got college size and speed. On defense he plays mike linebacker (where he'll probably wind up for Vandy); again it was hard to tell, because LA's spread offense didn't go up the middle much.

QB Cade Law, CPA (committed to Vandy for baseball as a catcher): He's definitely got an arm, as he threw at least six long bombs; one that went for a TD was called back. He also runs designed keepers occasionally.

QB Luther Richesson, Lipscomb (has a Vandy offer): runs Coach Trent Dilfer's spread offense to perfection, and can make every throw with tremendous accuracy. 23-of-29 passes for 276 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. Most of his passes were quick passes to the outside, but he also found his receivers open in the zone. Sources in the crowd say Vandy's not his top choice, but that could change.

RB Alex Broome, Lipscomb (committed to Boston College): Good gravy is this guy good! Four rushing touchdowns on the night; 27 carries for 189 yards; 7 receptions for 76 yards and another TD. He's only 5-8 and you look at him and think, he could never play college ball. But my gosh, put the ball in his hands and magic happens. He's got elite speed; on one incredible play he was trapped in the backfield, changed directions, outran everyone and scored. By far the most dynamic player on the field. (The Tennessean has a story on him today: "Is Alex Broome the best player in Nashville?")

I kept hoping the copter would make an appearance, but it didn't. Coach Lea was definitely out coptering last night though.