Weeks ago

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

kay1092
Commander

Weeks ago

Post by kay1092 »

I asked this question. I will ask again. What have you seen from Seals that makes you think he is the guy we should sink 2-3 more years into?

It seems like to me that Smith deserves more carries than Rocko, same with Wright vs Seals. Nothing against either one it's about production.I could care less about practice. Many people play well when there is no pressure, and practice, like Allen Iverson said is just practice.

Now that we have lost our best chances to win an SEC game, what do you want to see as far as improvement?

I, for one, would like to see some killer instinct from our coaching staff who has not done that nor instilled that to our team. Talk of culture is cheap if you don't back it up. CJF had it, he gave it to our players, the boats are burning speech comes to mind. I just don't see that. I hear CCL talk about getting to the 4th quarter in a 1 possession game, but that's not the goal. Winning is. He might instill toughness and energy but he has no killer instinct. Just watch him on the sidelines and you know. Look at CJF and look at him, they are apples and oranges personality wise and attitude wise

But he did try to steal the helicopter trick recruiting wise. So that is something

kay1092
Commander

Re: Weeks ago

Post by kay1092 »

kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

What is interesting is the original revealed from 2012 TN is no longer available on YouTube or on VUcommodores.com that is telling
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Wow! This was great to see!!!! Thx :)
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but two days after this video was released, Coach Franklin's team blew a 3-point lead in the final minute of the season-opening game to Ole Miss.

Of course, good things were ahead for Franklin and the 2013 team as that season went on, but nobody knew it that night. Fans were pretty down on Franklin and his defensive coaches after that deflating loss.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Let's see what year was that in that even Franklin called "the process?"
And Lea, like Franklin is learning as he goes. I just hope Lea doesn't end his career at VU the way Franklin did with the rape and poaching players committed to Vanderbilt.
It will be most interesting to see how Penn State reacts when he leaves. Hope he doesn't take a boatload (Franklin's analogy) with him when he jumps ship (to keep the nautical analogy alive and well.)
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:01 am I just hope Lea doesn't end his career at VU the way Franklin did with the rape and poaching players committed to Vanderbilt.
Actually, I hope Lea does end his career by poaching our recruits to his new school. That means he built a winning program and got a bigger job. However, I don't think we'll have to worry about that happening to Lea.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

BrentVU wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:41 am
Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but two days after this video was released, Coach Franklin's team blew a 3-point lead in the final minute of the season-opening game to Ole Miss.

Of course, good things were ahead for Franklin and the 2013 team as that season went on, but nobody knew it that night. Fans were pretty down on Franklin and his defensive coaches after that deflating loss.
Remind me BrentVU. What was Franklin's record year 1/2/3?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

6-7
9-4
9-4

Three bowls.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjS7mBmTM3Q

Brent, now watch this PC. He blames his team for not tackling in bounds on the final drive on 1st and 2nd down, yet continues the same strategy. Explains kicking a FG but then not kicking one for it in the first half. He's in over his head. This is getting comical.

No guts, no glory. I could understand going for it the first time. It's gutless to not go for it the 2nd time and then play prevent D. It is ridiculous.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

If Lea has as many Ws in 5 years as Franklin did in 3, i'll be shocked.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Question: will those negative posters here come back and admit their mistakes about Lea when we start winning or will they say that the opposition was bad etc.? Just wondering because my sense is the last thing they will admit is the very thing they criticize (inaccurately, by the way) - that Lea fails to admit a mistake.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

kay1092 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:37 pm

Franklin went on to go 9-4 in 2013... which just demonstrates how foolish and short-sighted all those posters were who wanted him fired after his defense collapsed in the season opener. He did a heck of a job at Vanderbilt.

Then he broke his contract with Vanderbilt, held negotiations with Penn State secretly while denying it, left in the middle of the night, and attempted to sabotage Vanderbilt's program by poaching recruits-- leaving the program in disarray late in a recruiting cycle. (Which demonstrates to me that while wins and losses are important, it's also important to build with integrity, and to think strategically about the long term.)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:15 am Question: will those negative posters here come back and admit their mistakes about Lea when we start winning or will they say that the opposition was bad etc.? Just wondering because my sense is the last thing they will admit is the very thing they criticize (inaccurately, by the way) - that Lea fails to admit a mistake.
No, worse. They will do like the politicians and say "I told you all along he'd be a great coach."
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Getting this thread back on topic and responding to the original post re: Seals vs Wright.

Both qbs have much room to develop.
I give the edge to Seals for the following reasons: he can more consistently throw completable passes and he seems to have a stronger and faster arm. The downside on Seals is that he's not very effective with his feet, neither running for productive yards nor simply buying time in or outside the pocket. His reflexive move is to pack pedal and drift to his right before throwing the ball away or forcing a bad pass.

Wright is certainly faster but he doesn't seem to relish running the ball enough to make it a true weapon for us. He's shown flashes of making and extending plays but not to the extent that he can put the team on his back via his legs. Meanwhile his passing is a full notch below Seals' or any quarterback that I'd like to see starting. Mind you, I'm not saying his passing his hopeless or completely ineffective, it's just not good enough to be the obvious replacement for Seals, IMO.

Separately, there have been calls to make us a two qb system as a means to make us "unpredictable". I am very skeptical about this approach. While there are some token few examples of this working, I'd call that the exception rather than the rule. I'd counter that playing both qbs makes us decidedly predictable. When Seals is in the game on 3rd and 5 or longer, what do you think Vandy is going to try to do? When Wright is in the game on 2nd 5 or longer, what do you think we're going to do? Pretty obvious to me.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:25 am

Franklin went on to go 9-4 in 2013... which just demonstrates how foolish and short-sighted all those posters were who wanted him fired after his defense collapsed in the season opener. He did a heck of a job at Vanderbilt.

Then he broke his contract with Vanderbilt, held negotiations with Penn State secretly while denying it, left in the middle of the night, and attempted to sabotage Vanderbilt's program by poaching recruits-- leaving the program in disarray late in a recruiting cycle. (Which demonstrates to me that while wins and losses are important, it's also important to build with integrity, and to think strategically about the long term.)
That's all a deflection. How did he perform on the field in year 1-2-3? Not what happened after.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

kay1092 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:27 pm

That's all a deflection. How did he perform on the field in year 1-2-3? Not what happened after.
Ah, Kay at last we see your true pilosophy - win at any cost. May I respectfully suggest that you become a UT Vols maniac where character takes a back seat to winning.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:37 pm
kay1092 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:27 pm

Ah, Kay at last we see your true pilosophy - win at any cost. May I respectfully suggest that you become a UT Vols maniac where character takes a back seat to winning.
Guess that's the difference... I'd rather win than lose gracefully. That might be the problem with Vanderbilt, SEC football is a street fight. It's not for the faint of heart.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Unless Seals can play defensive back, I'm not sure how much difference he would make today.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 am
Wow! This was great to see!!!! Thx :)
too bad it was taken off of YouTube. By who do you guess? Oh Vandy who wants the fans to not remember
Locked Previous topicNext topic