Whoa Nelly! Jimmy Franks back in the SEC?....

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Whoa Nelly! Jimmy Franks back in the SEC?....

Post by DS2001 »

Coach O is takin' the money and leaving Baton Rouge....The big money is on our former Poach....Makes sense.

Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Re: Whoa Nelly! Jimmy Franks back in the SEC?....

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

xCJF would be amazing at LSU. That said- still think USC is the better landing spot for him. Rather than dealing w/Alabama every season- he could be the “Alabama” of another Power 5 Conference- that the Playoff Committee would be salivating to take every year b/c of profile/tradition/geography. Plus, USC is at least still somewhat of an academic institution- which seems to be part of xCJFs “brand” (and recruiting pitch). Not sure if he’d be the same guy in recruits’ living rooms at an unapologetic football mill like LSU. Just my .02 cents.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

A bit of sour grapes here, wouldn't it be justice if :
- Franklin leads the PSU community to believe that he is committed to that program.
- Then in the middle of the night, he packs up his family and moves to Baton Rouge or Los Angeles without talking to anyone.
- Slowly but surely that great class that he has recruited at PSU starts going with him to wherever he lands.

I would love to sit back and watch all the articles fly after that sequence of events - that would make me feel good.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I really can’t see him wanting that pressure. They give their coaches three years to be a top tier team in the SEC West and if you aren’t you’re fired. Orgeron won the SEC West just a couple of years ago with Joe Burrow at quarterback and now one year and half of another year later he’s getting axed.

And they’re never going to consistently beat Alabama as long as Saban is their coach. Also they have to compete against Auburn and Texas A & M each year. They are equal in talent to LSU, if not better. And Arkansas is a force now with Pittman. Ole Miss is a force with Kiffin. Mississippi State is getting better. And they’re about to add Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC.

Unless they throw a whole truckload of money at him, I don’t see him taking that job. He’s in a good position at Penn State.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I don't see him leaving State Penn. He has brought them high visibility. His upcoming recruiting class is top notch, although maybe not Bama caliber. Their alums will bring out the wheelbarrow of money to keep him in Happy Valley, IMHO.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Golddore68 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:32 pm Orgeron won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP just a couple of years ago with Joe Burrow at quarterback and now one year and half of another year later he’s getting axed.
Fixed it for you.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 pm I don't see him leaving State Penn. He has brought them high visibility. His upcoming recruiting class is top notch, although maybe not Bama caliber. Their alums will bring out the wheelbarrow of money to keep him in Happy Valley, IMHO.
I think he goes to the real USC.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I think he loads up the truck and moves to Beverly. Hills that is....
Hollywood type personality.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's more to Orgeron leaving than just wins and losses. That program is in big trouble unless the NCAA can figure out a way to excuse them from their transgressions.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

admin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:07 am There's more to Orgeron leaving than just wins and losses. That program is in big trouble unless the NCAA can figure out a way to excuse them from their transgressions.
They will.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:43 am
LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 pm I don't see him leaving State Penn. He has brought them high visibility. His upcoming recruiting class is top notch, although maybe not Bama caliber. Their alums will bring out the wheelbarrow of money to keep him in Happy Valley, IMHO.
I think he goes to the real USC.
I'd rather live in Haiti than Los Angeles.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I don't think he leaves PS......if he should I hope it is USC on the West coast....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

If he meets with his financial advisor he will demand an outrageous amount to accept the position at USC.

For example, if his current house in the State College area is worth, say, $1million, then a comparably sized house in LA might cost him in the range of $4million to $5million, or more. His real estate taxes would increase substantially.

The top marginal income tax rate in CA (13.3%) is higher than in PA (3.07%) according to my search on the internet. The price of gasoline is higher in CA, as well as many other goods and services.

He would have to love Hollywood a whole lot to afford a move without a huge pay raise. As mentioned above, expectations at USC are so high that coaches have been lasting about 3 years. Staying at Penn State is less risky for job security. Think of Pappa Joe.

Of course money and job security aren't everything when a person is attracted to glitter and bright lights.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

There's no OSU in the PAC-12. Even though they're having a down year this year, if he's going to get to the playoffs, he's got to beat OSU during the regular season and he's currently 1-5 against them. He's also only 3-3 against Michigan, who hasn't exactly been setting the football world on fire. I don't know that I see him leaving PSU, but if he did, he could make USC into the OSU or Alabama of the PAC-12. Even though he'd face higher income and property taxes, he'd also be moving from the #107 media market to the #2 media market, so I'd imagine income from his coach's show, as well as endorsement opportunities would increase dramatically. How many college coaches are there in national spots? Besides Saban and AFLAC, I'm coming up empty. Spurrier did some for Dr. Pepper, and Bobby Bowden had some in the 90's and 2000's, but there's basically one or two how bubble up every 10-15 years. Franklin is (or at least fancies himself) as made for television and if he's in a tv market with a team that can have national reach, like USC has in its past, he's not going to be looking at a pay cut due to higher taxes.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

NWOHDore wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:14 pm There's no OSU in the PAC-12. Even though they're having a down year this year, if he's going to get to the playoffs, he's got to beat OSU during the regular season and he's currently 1-5 against them. He's also only 3-3 against Michigan, who hasn't exactly been setting the football world on fire. I don't know that I see him leaving PSU, but if he did, he could make USC into the OSU or Alabama of the PAC-12. Even though he'd face higher income and property taxes, he'd also be moving from the #107 media market to the #2 media market, so I'd imagine income from his coach's show, as well as endorsement opportunities would increase dramatically. How many college coaches are there in national spots? Besides Saban and AFLAC, I'm coming up empty. Spurrier did some for Dr. Pepper, and Bobby Bowden had some in the 90's and 2000's, but there's basically one or two how bubble up every 10-15 years. Franklin is (or at least fancies himself) as made for television and if he's in a tv market with a team that can have national reach, like USC has in its past, he's not going to be looking at a pay cut due to higher taxes.
Exactly. The ancillary marketing/biz opportunities in So. Cal are off the charts. Plus, the life experiences of celebrity friends, elite schools for his kids, potential long-term entertainment/production ventures, etc. would make it a truly unique opportunity IMHO. Finally, there’s always the “Pete Carroll” route to the NFL (if he wants it)- which is seemingly a sunnier path than the “Bill O’Brien” one…
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Vandy_Law07 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:56 pm
NWOHDore wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:14 pm There's no OSU in the PAC-12. Even though they're having a down year this year, if he's going to get to the playoffs, he's got to beat OSU during the regular season and he's currently 1-5 against them. He's also only 3-3 against Michigan, who hasn't exactly been setting the football world on fire. I don't know that I see him leaving PSU, but if he did, he could make USC into the OSU or Alabama of the PAC-12. Even though he'd face higher income and property taxes, he'd also be moving from the #107 media market to the #2 media market, so I'd imagine income from his coach's show, as well as endorsement opportunities would increase dramatically. How many college coaches are there in national spots? Besides Saban and AFLAC, I'm coming up empty. Spurrier did some for Dr. Pepper, and Bobby Bowden had some in the 90's and 2000's, but there's basically one or two how bubble up every 10-15 years. Franklin is (or at least fancies himself) as made for television and if he's in a tv market with a team that can have national reach, like USC has in its past, he's not going to be looking at a pay cut due to higher taxes.
Exactly. The ancillary marketing/biz opportunities in So. Cal are off the charts. Plus, the life experiences of celebrity friends, elite schools for his kids, potential long-term entertainment/production ventures, etc. would make it a truly unique opportunity IMHO. Finally, there’s always the “Pete Carroll” route to the NFL (if he wants it)- which is seemingly a sunnier path than the “Bill O’Brien” one…
I'd rather live in Erin, TN, than to live in Los Angeles. Place is a cesspool. Not to mention the falling off in the ocean thing.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

commadore wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 pm
Vandy_Law07 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:56 pm
I'd rather live in Erin, TN, than to live in Los Angeles. Place is a cesspool. Not to mention the falling off in the ocean thing.
Ha. I hear you. LA definitely has its drawbacks- and is not for everyone. Probably not for me either (lol). Just enjoy visiting every so often. That said- to experience it as a successful USC HC would have to be pretty damn special. Classic example of where being good at one thing (football coach)- opens doors to so many other experiences.
Michidore
Ensign

Interesting comments at Franklin’s 10/26 Press Conference

Post by Michidore »

This Saturday evening Penn State plays at Ohio State. This was the day for James Franklin’s press conference. I don’t know if he has some outside distractions, but more than once he made incorrect references for this weekend’s game.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... epkmcmiju9

Although if they travel to the “Big House” in Ann Arbor, they won’t be facing Ohio State. Since Michigan is on the road this week, the Wolverines won’t be there either.

So perhaps Franklin has started “checking out” on this season. Or maybe still focused on the 9 OT loss last Saturday.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Hey commadore, the National Association of Cesspools is demanding an apology for being compared to Los Angeles. They admit that they are gross but not as bad as LA.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

Oregon State wants everyone to know there IS an OSU in the PAC-12.
Locked Previous topicNext topic