Don't tell me even once more...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jpmando
Commander

Don't tell me even once more...

Post by jpmando »

I have watched this for 60 years, with rare respite.

I do not want to hear about the talent differential. Sure, vs Georgia or Alabama.

But this was absolutely our game, and our players did their jobs. And had fun, and a solid win. Until,

All was taken away by a stunningly bad series of coaching failures at critical times. We overcame several, but the last one destroyed us. Franklin et al would have won this game.

Players and supporters deserve much better than this.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: Don't tell me even once more...

Post by Go Vandy! »

jpmando wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:55 pmFranklin et al would have won this game.
...going away.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Hell, Aretha Franklin et al could have won this game.
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

He let me with the stupid helmets
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:06 pm
jpmando wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:55 pmFranklin et al would have won this game.
...going away.
Yup.

Unfortunately CCL isn't as savvy a head coach as we hoped. This is a tough loss to take, and I'm mad. However, I think the team performance is getting better. Failure can bring incredible learning. Let's see if CCL learns from this before getting the pitchforks.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

On the other hand, he coached an 18-point underdog with a backup QB to a one-point loss on the road in the SEC.

Go ahead, fire away. I give you fair lief.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We are very close to an SEC win: the prevent defense on last drive was a huge mistake. I bet we learned - the hard way. When you lose by 1 on the road to an 18 point favorite at their HC - it is no shame, but I agree we should have won and would have if D had put pressure or if O had made 1 more first down. I think we gave them the game.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

OldDude wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:11 pm Hell, Aretha Franklin et al could have won this game.
Roosevelt Franklin could have won this game....
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

anyone giving the staff a pass due to "talent" or whatever excuse you want to give it flat out wrong. We lost based on coaching. It was 2 basic decisions... the fade on 3rd down and the botched 4th down when we could have kicked a FG. And the prevent defense that prevented nothing, not even a tackle in bounds to drain the clock against a backup QB with 90 seconds left in the game.

But hey CCL blamed the players, again.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

When I saw that we were going to do that fade on third down, I just winced. You need perfect execution on that play, and you are not likely to get it from a QB who is more of runner. Poor play calling, plain and simple.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm When I saw that we were going to do that fade on third down, I just winced. You need perfect execution on that play, and you are not likely to get it from a QB who is more of runner. Poor play calling, plain and simple.
We have a fickle fan base: coach is blamed for trying to win with tough fade pass and for trying not to lose with the prevent defense. Can't have it both ways. The man is trying and like the rest of us us making mistakes. Check back in 4 years. Meanwhile lets win a game.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

kay1092 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 pm It was 2 basic decisions... the fade on 3rd down and the botched 4th down when we could have kicked a FG. And the prevent defense that prevented nothing….

Um … if anyone is counting, you listed 3 decisions. And your logic is relies on “How did that work out?”

A. Teams throw fade passes in that situation often. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. Had we scored a touchdown there, you be calling it a bad decision?

B. Had we scored a TD on 4th down, would you be calling that a bad decision? And you can’t say “Those 3 points would have won the game for us” and then — elsewhere — say “Why did we kick a field goal near the end of the game” because, the rule book counts a field goal as 3 points at any point.

I listened to Coach Lea’s presser and he didn’t throw the players under the bus, but it’s clear he wasn’t on the field for plays A and B.

C. As for your third point, the prevent defense: I thought it was the wrong move at the time, but I defer to Coach Lea’s judgement. He knows the players and their capabilities. South Carolina was out there fighting, too. The Gamecocks made it work and I give them the credit rather than blame Coach for everything.

Oh, for what it’s worth: On Tennessee’s final play against Ole Miss, needing 21 yards for a winning touchdown …

Ole Miss dropped NINE back in coverage and rushed only TWO linemen. Worked out okay for them.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 pm We are very close to an SEC win: the prevent defense on last drive was a huge mistake. I bet we learned - the hard way. When you lose by 1 on the road to an 18 point favorite at their HC - it is no shame, but I agree we should have won and would have if D had put pressure or if O had made 1 more first down. I think we gave them the game.
Real Time RPI now says we will beat Miss. St.

Very different than the Vegas point spread.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I would have sent Pierce out on that play. He has the best hands it appears, and best size, for the fade.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:59 pm
kay1092 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 pm It was 2 basic decisions... the fade on 3rd down and the botched 4th down when we could have kicked a FG. And the prevent defense that prevented nothing….

Um … if anyone is counting, you listed 3 decisions. And your logic is relies on “How did that work out?”

A. Teams throw fade passes in that situation often. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. Had we scored a touchdown there, you be calling it a bad decision?

And had Hooker been the QB tennessee would have won.
B. Had we scored a TD on 4th down, would you be calling that a bad decision? And you can’t say “Those 3 points would have won the game for us” and then — elsewhere — say “Why did we kick a field goal near the end of the game” because, the rule book counts a field goal as 3 points at any point.

I listened to Coach Lea’s presser and he didn’t throw the players under the bus, but it’s clear he wasn’t on the field for plays A and B.

C. As for your third point, the prevent defense: I thought it was the wrong move at the time, but I defer to Coach Lea’s judgement. He knows the players and their capabilities. South Carolina was out there fighting, too. The Gamecocks made it work and I give them the credit rather than blame Coach for everything.

Oh, for what it’s worth: On Tennessee’s final play against Ole Miss, needing 21 yards for a winning touchdown …

Ole Miss dropped NINE back in coverage and rushed only TWO linemen. Worked out okay for them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic