Why??

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Why??

Post by mathguy »

OK. So I have to admit, I didn't watch the game. But looking at the box score and play by play ... why kick that field goal? What does the analytics say? Go for it on frigging 4th down there. If you get the TD the game is over!! If you get the first down, the game is over!! If you miss going for it, they suddenly have 90 yards to drive instead of 75. If a SC touchdown is a loser for you anyway, you got to go for it, right??

docdore
Vice Admiral

Re: Why??

Post by docdore »

mathguy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:36 pm OK. So I have to admit, I didn't watch the game. But looking at the box score and play by play ... why kick that field goal? What does the analytics say? Go for it on frigging 4th down there. If you get the TD the game is over!! If you get the first down, the game is over!! If you miss going for it, they suddenly have 90 yards to drive instead of 75. If a SC touchdown is a loser for you anyway, you got to go for it, right??
yes!!….absolutely
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

Sorry but tired of hearing how he’s gonna turn it around
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

I said the same thing. Play for the win right there. And if you dont make it, they need to go 60 yards or so for the chance to kick a long FG for the tie. And very possible if they know they only need the FG for the tie, they may play a little more conservatively once they get in FG range. With our decision to play prevent, very possible they give up a 95 yard touchdown drive instead of the 75 yard one they did. But I wouldnt be surprised if their mindset changed.

I would have liked to see us play for the win. But we played not to lose and did anyways.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

Only scenario where you kick the FG is if there were very little time left…it was a wussy decision, the kind of decision a losing team makes
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

mathguy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:36 pm OK. So I have to admit, I didn't watch the game. But looking at the box score and play by play ... why kick that field goal? What does the analytics say? Go for it on frigging 4th down there. If you get the TD the game is over!! If you get the first down, the game is over!! If you miss going for it, they suddenly have 90 yards to drive instead of 75. If a SC touchdown is a loser for you anyway, you got to go for it, right??
I think it was iffy. It was like 4th and 4. If you don't make it, they tie with a field goal and, knowing the Dores, you lose in OT. It seems semi-reasonable that a defense that has held USC scoreless for 3 quarters can keep them out of the damn end zone if they only have 97 seconds left, with no timeouts. I fault him much more for the type of "defense" he employed at the end.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

if you don't kick a FG from the 5 when calling a fade route, and then a muffed run up the middle... at least be consistent and go for it again. he has no clue but is a better speaker than Derek Mason. So that a will buy him another 5 years
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm
I think it was iffy. It was like 4th and 4. If you don't make it, they tie with a field goal and, knowing the Dores, you lose in OT. It seems semi-reasonable that a defense that has held USC scoreless for 3 quarters can keep them out of the damn end zone if they only have 97 seconds left, with no timeouts. I fault him much more for the type of "defense" he employed at the end.
He loses either way because he doesn't know how to win. He can blame it on the players...But James Franklin wins this game and he's no CJF. Time to go why waste time
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Maybe. I dunno. I mean, if we stalled out on the 20 or 25, it would be a bit different. Longer field goal, and less ability to back SC up. But I mean, on the 10 yard line? They'd be backed up so dang far...

I really do wonder what analytics would say. I'm thinking they say go for it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

mathguy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:04 pm
Maybe. I dunno. I mean, if we stalled out on the 20 or 25, it would be a bit different. Longer field goal, and less ability to back SC up. But I mean, on the 10 yard line? They'd be backed up so dang far...

I really do wonder what analytics would say. I'm thinking they say go for it.
Yeah, it might have taken 9 plays instead of 8 with the defense we were playing. :lol:
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Its definitely worth considering in that moment. I think it was right to kick because you force them to score the TD. But it got backed up with poor defensive play calling. We definitely should have pressured more, particularly after we saw it was the backup in.

The only people more disappointed than the folks on this board (especially those who call the coaches crap) are the players and coaches in that locker room who work really hard every week to get ready to play on Saturdays.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Personally, I think it was the right call to kick the FG. They are the home team, and analytics say that it is OK for the home team to go for the tie going into OT but not the visiting team (see Razorbacks, Arkansas). We needed to make them go for the win or bust. Don't give them the option to get into FG range or win with our swiss cheese secondary. So we kick the FG and take the safe route. Remember, they still have to cross the goal line--they can't just march down the field to the 1 and fall short and kick a FG for the tie.

If we had any semblance of a defense, I would agree with the other posters here, though.

Added thought: I think we lost this game when we were marching down the field in the final minutes and on 2nd and 4, had a run play that lost 4 yards. It brought up 3rd and 8, drive stalled after a pitch pass right fell short, and we had to settle for the FG. We keep marching, we score the TD and win.
Locked Previous topicNext topic