I actually think Vandy has a chance vs. SC... a chance

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

I actually think Vandy has a chance vs. SC... a chance

Post by BrentVU »

(Please, no Dumb and Dumber references.)

What gives me hope is seeing the way Tennessee absolutely torched South Carolina's secondary in the first half a week ago. You had missed assignments, receivers running free... it all looked very familiar. (South Carolina's defensive coordinator under Shane Beamer is Clayton White, a guy who has never coordinated before at the FBS level.)

The key will be to do exactly as Tennessee did, to put up points in the first quarter, and take the crowd out of the game at least a little bit. I actually think a high-scoring game might be our best chance.

Luke Doty, SC's QB, is a dual-threat who showed how dangerous he could be running the ball against UT. SC's Kevin Harris is a guy that has really hurt us in past games. One other tidbit is that Cam Johnson has caught a TD pass against South Carolina each of the last two years.

We haven't beaten South Carolina since Jared Hawkins played here. Curse of the chicken.

dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: I actually think Vandy has a chance vs. SC... a chance

Post by dore74 »

Gotta say after seeing what UConn's dual threat (third string QB) did to us before he got hurt and coupled with their strong running back, if we don't score a lot of points this has a potential to get ugly early. How great would it be if we don't let them simply run down the field on their first set of downs for a quick 6..we'll see.

Regardless, to win we'll need our offense to have its best game of the year--two first halves of the Stanford game.

While hope springs eternal, I wish there was greater reason for optimism.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

There are a couple of reasons to have some hope. The talent gap is not AS wide as with GA and FL. It is a new staff working through things and learning on the job.
That said we would still need to play an almost perfect game to pull out a W. We have not shown that so far.
If we can get a little longer protection and hit some deep balls early, then perhaps we get them in a 2 deep safety zone. THEN we will get some routes open across the middle. Without winning any man coverage on outside routes we are getting no cushion on the short stuff and jams at the line of scrimmage.
When Seals misses on his throws it has to be almost 90% with overthrows. Whether it be from rushing it or just nerves and adrenaline. Perhaps from film work this might improve.
Defensively we are at least facing a less polished product from South Carolina than some SEC brethren. Who knows THEY might not be hitting on all cylinders and make some mistakes here and there. While I am certain we will "bend" if we can not "break" by keeping things in front of us and forcing more plays then we could get lucky.
Truly believe 1st QTR is crucial. If we run the predictable offense of throw an incomplete pass on first down, run for no gain on second, then an incomplete 7yd out on 3rd, we may go 3 and out on 3 straight possessions.
If they go up 14-0 and the stadium is rocking, it will be another long day.
Actually looking forward to the game as a bit of a barometer compared to other "lower" tier SEC teams.
All that said the 18 point spread seems about right.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Yeah I think you are right .... it is time to start the drinking for the weekend. It takes me from the mindset of no way in he!! does Vandy win this game to why is Vandy the underdog because they are going to smoke them by three touchdowns. The trick is to drink A LOT as that's the only way I can think like that !!!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

As long as we keep spotting our opponents 7-14 points in the first 6 minutes of the game we won't beat any SEC team. The only game where we scored a TD before the other team was UCONN and it was because their QB got hurt and they wound up kicking 3 FGs
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

BrentVU wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:19 am (Please, no Dumb and Dumber references.)

What gives me hope is seeing the way Tennessee absolutely torched South Carolina's secondary in the first half a week ago. You had missed assignments, receivers running free... it all looked very familiar. (South Carolina's defensive coordinator under Shane Beamer is Clayton White, a guy who has never coordinated before at the FBS level.)

The key will be to do exactly as Tennessee did, to put up points in the first quarter, and take the crowd out of the game at least a little bit. I actually think a high-scoring game might be our best chance.

Luke Doty, SC's QB, is a dual-threat who showed how dangerous he could be running the ball against UT. SC's Kevin Harris is a guy that has really hurt us in past games. One other tidbit is that Cam Johnson has caught a TD pass against South Carolina each of the last two years.

We haven't beaten South Carolina since Jared Hawkins played here. Curse of the chicken.
The only problem with that is that I think Mike Wright is going to play a lot today, and he isn't the best one to have throwing it all over the field. Hopefully a running QB that SC hasn't prepared for gives us a good chance a victory.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Well, all this analysis and comment is out the window. Looks like it will be hand off, bad pass, QB run, punt for our line up today.
Locked Previous topicNext topic