"Poach", PSU accused of faking injuries vs. Iowa; he denies it

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

"Poach", PSU accused of faking injuries vs. Iowa; he denies it

Post by BrentVU »

Sorry, Coach, I saw that game, and I don't believe you. Despite efforts to stop it, defensive players faking injuries to slow down the offense remains part of the game, and a strategy employed by certain coaches. I watched that game, and it surely looked like a clear case to me.

ESPN.com: Penn State's James Franklin says faked injuries have 'not shown up' on teams he has coached
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ms-coached

NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Re: "Poach", PSU accused of faking injuries vs. Iowa; he denies it

Post by NWOHDore »

I don't know whether or not he or his players were doing it, but in both theory and in practice, I don't have a problem with it. I'm willing to bet this happens at least once in every game at every level of football--HS, college, and pro. To me, defenses doing this to slow down an offense is no different than the offense who hurries to get a quick play off to circumvent an instant replay review. Had we not had an injury on the field last week, we should have been moving as quickly as possible to get the XP point off before our TD was nullified.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

After reading that article, I'd say CJF has carefully filed away the Iowa coach's remarks until next year's game.
Much like he did Derek Dooley's remarks after the UT win in CJF's first season.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

NWOHDore wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 pm I don't know whether or not he or his players were doing it, but in both theory and in practice, I don't have a problem with it. I'm willing to bet this happens at least once in every game at every level of football--HS, college, and pro. To me, defenses doing this to slow down an offense is no different than the offense who hurries to get a quick play off to circumvent an instant replay review. Had we not had an injury on the field last week, we should have been moving as quickly as possible to get the XP point off before our TD was nullified.
Big difference in rushing to get started AFTER the refs have said the ball is ready for play and FAKING an injury to keep a valid play from being run. I think they should pass a rule that says if a player goes down with an injury, he must stay out the remainder of the series. If it is in the final 2 minutes of the game, then for the remainder of the game. It is cheating, pure and simple, whereas rushing to get off a play once the ball has been marked ready for play is not.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

commadore wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:10 pm
NWOHDore wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 pm I don't know whether or not he or his players were doing it, but in both theory and in practice, I don't have a problem with it. I'm willing to bet this happens at least once in every game at every level of football--HS, college, and pro. To me, defenses doing this to slow down an offense is no different than the offense who hurries to get a quick play off to circumvent an instant replay review. Had we not had an injury on the field last week, we should have been moving as quickly as possible to get the XP point off before our TD was nullified.
Big difference in rushing to get started AFTER the refs have said the ball is ready for play and FAKING an injury to keep a valid play from being run. I think they should pass a rule that says if a player goes down with an injury, he must stay out the remainder of the series. If it is in the final 2 minutes of the game, then for the remainder of the game. It is cheating, pure and simple, whereas rushing to get off a play once the ball has been marked ready for play is not.
Reasonable minds can disagree, but it still doesn't bother me in the least. For one, how do you assess whether a player got the wind knocked out of him or is faking? What about a cramp? Who decides? Also, if a team is running a play to prevent a valid review, aren;t they just as guilty of skirting the spirit of the rule and of good sportsmanship?
Locked Previous topicNext topic