Did anybody else see this?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Did anybody else see this?

Post by MrMemorial »

DISCLAIMER: I'm only curious to see if anybody else saw this.

Any comments other posters make about it are totally their own.

https://thedorereport.com/2021/10/13/so ... y-calling/

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did anybody else see this?

Post by charlestonalum »

With the late pre-season change in play caller it is clear that Coach Lea is not happy with his choices: I think he has learned a great deal as Head Coach and we can expect changes after the season. He has also changed his mind on the portal. One of the things I admire most about our young coach is his ability to learn and his determination to win at Vanderbilt. He is still learning how to do that. Some believe he should have known that, but unfortunately he has been away from the SEC and from Vanderbilt for some time and now he can see exactly what the competition and Vanderbilt are like. I suspect he still has much to learn and experience is the best teacher.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I was surprised he did not retain Coach Ross (as named in The Dore Report). Ross did a pretty good job with what he had to work with in 2020.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

It was obvious out of the gate, and probably before the first snap. Finding a reliable, imaginative OC for the staff was a huge fail for Coach Lea. I believe he wasn't able to get who he wanted back in January and took a shot with Coaches Raih and Lynch. He MUST make a change for 2022.

The importance of coordinators cannot be understated in today's college game. Sure, Nick Saban can run them in and out, but he is picking from the best of the best in most cases. Look at Arkansas and where they went in such a short time. Credit Pittman for changing the culture, but one of the major reasons they made a leap was the hiring of Briles and Odom, both of whom will be head coaches soon. On the flip side, look at what happened to LSU over the past two seasons. They still have plenty of talent, but the coordinators Coach O has are a far cry from 2019.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Commodoredave wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:26 am It was obvious out of the gate, and probably before the first snap. Finding a reliable, imaginative OC for the staff was a huge fail for Coach Lea. I believe he wasn't able to get who he wanted back in January and took a shot with Coaches Raih and Lynch. He MUST make a change for 2022.

The importance of coordinators cannot be understated in today's college game. Sure, Nick Saban can run them in and out, but he is picking from the best of the best in most cases. Look at Arkansas and where they went in such a short time. Credit Pittman for changing the culture, but one of the major reasons they made a leap was the hiring of Briles and Odom, both of whom will be head coaches soon. On the flip side, look at what happened to LSU over the past two seasons. They still have plenty of talent, but the coordinators Coach O has are a far cry from 2019.
He also doesn't have the Cincinnati Bengals QB anymore. Or the Kansas City Chiefs tailback.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

A very good but disturbing read. Puts some human and inside touch on the dry facts that many on this board have observed. Definitely feel that offensive staff needs to be gutted.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

At the end of the day, it all falls on Lea’s shoulders. I get that his area of expertise is defense, but if it’s true that he’s unhappy with the direction of the offense, then he should change it. Sure, easier said than done mid-season, but the assistants answer to him. This year’s O has been a huge disappointment when it seemingly should have been improved (defections in the running back corps notwithstanding).
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

A new site struggling for clicks quotes an (unnamed) "inside source" with controversial stuff about the coaching staff? Hmmm. Sorry, I need more than that.
DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Post by DoreRayMe »

Agree with Brent.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

I had seen this article and it did make me think. My thoughts were something along the lines of...

"I certainly hope no one is satisfied with the offense (or the defense, for that matter)! I just hope everyone recognizes EVERYTHING needs to (and can) improve."

"If Coach Ross(amando) was such a great offensive line coach last year, why were we winless?"

"Yes, I realize that had Vanderbilt played some non-conference games last year that it MIGHT have won a couple of games. Is that a given?"

"Why were Vanderbilt players entering the transfer portal last year at this time?"

"I wonder what Vandymania was talking about one year ago today?" (By the way, Good2BGold posted this topic on October 14, 2020 -- Hustler: Vanderbilt football returns to the practice field with less than 53 scholarship players available.)"

Like all of you, I want Vanderbilt football to succeed - now. I remain all in for Coach Clark Lea, this entire staff, and this entire team. I believe steps are being taken toward a better tomorrow for Vanderbilt football. I'm grateful to all of those who are supportive.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:59 am With the late pre-season change in play caller it is clear that Coach Lea is not happy with his choices: I think he has learned a great deal as Head Coach and we can expect changes after the season. He has also changed his mind on the portal. One of the things I admire most about our young coach is his ability to learn and his determination to win at Vanderbilt. He is still learning how to do that. Some believe he should have known that, but unfortunately he has been away from the SEC and from Vanderbilt for some time and now he can see exactly what the competition and Vanderbilt are like. I suspect he still has much to learn and experience is the best teacher.
And he clearly isn't going to remain married to concepts that don't work. He's already proven he is willing to learn and change.
Unlike some guy I otherwise like, but remained committed to the idea of playing smashmouth style at the only small private academic school in the SEC despite ample evidence it was not going to work.
Locked Previous topicNext topic