Time to leave the SEC

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dcdore
Admiral

Time to leave the SEC

Post by dcdore »

nt

Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Re: Time to leave the SEC

Post by cc11316 »

Man, I feel you from the frustration standpoint but nothing says you have to field an SEC caliber team to participate in the SEC. Thank goodness for that or some other school would be getting the big check.

This has got to get better, right?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Time to leave the f**ing SEC

Post by charlestonalum »

SEC officials are consistently bad but no reason for us to leave conference - about 12 teams should threaten it.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Yes football is a challenge for us, but we have competed in the SEC in basketball, women’s basketball and baseball.

I would hate to give up the prestige of those sports just because we struggle to compete in football.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I understood from the get-go that the OP was frustrated with the obvious screw job on the overruled TD. And at the moment that happened, that was my sentiment as well. Those ba---rds were LOOKING for a way to overturn that TD.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:45 pm Yes football is a challenge for us, but we have competed in the SEC in basketball, women’s basketball and baseball.

I would hate to give up the prestige of those sports just because we struggle to compete in football.
Women Tennis and Soccer. Football will get better with the administration finally supporting it. The score today is not reflective of the competitiveness.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

$$$$$$$$$$ no
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Golf is another reason not to leave
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Yeah, I misunderstood the intent of this thread as well because I read it as Vanderbilt is not competitive so they have no business in the SEC. Instead, he was referring to the biased officiating over the years that has bitten Vandy time and time again. I think Jay Cutler, Earl Bennett and many others can agree that this bias exists but I'm not sure what difference it made today.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

IF it's any consolation -- not that it is -- but Auburn just got screwed out of a certain TD on a no-call obvious pass interference by Georgia at the end of the first half. The Georgia defender was all over the Auburn receiver's back and holding his left arm. No call, with a ref standing literally 3 feet away at the back of the end zone.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

I’m ready to drop gridiron football all together
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Nonsense.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

People get screwed. Otherwise the human race dies out. Adapt.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

VU will NEVER voluntarily give up $45 mil a year. Soon to be $60, and i think that was before the recent additions. Neither would you or i.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

If we left the SEC, we'd be just like Rice is now (and football would be ignored yet cost the University a ton of money). The Big 10 and ACC don't want us. It wouldn't boost their TV ratings in Nashville. I say SEC or drop football, as non of the football alternatives are viable for us.

And if we manage one decent upset, there will be cries of "second deck the stadium", as there were when we beat Bama in 1984. To be a fan is to be manic.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

We do well in all other sports and occasionally in football. I say stay.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:45 pm Yes football is a challenge for us, but we have competed in the SEC in basketball, women’s basketball and baseball.

You left out Golf, Tennis, and Soccer
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

IMO unless the SEC goes to an actual pay-for-play model in football we should stay. Vanderbilt is competitive in most other sports with true student athletes. Back in the day when football money wasn’t flowing like a fountain Tulane and Georgia Tech bailed out because the Bamas and Georgias were playing with a different rulebook, we didn’t leave. I’ve always respected that even though we were getting the snot beat out of us.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

On another note as far as the refs, one of the biggest screw jobs of all times came in Knoxville in 1981. I was there when Whit Taylor was wearing out UT but their DBs were tackling our receivers before the ball was even close with no calls. We win that game with honest officiating.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MikenNashville wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:27 pm On another note as far as the refs, one of the biggest screw jobs of all times came in Knoxville in 1981. I was there when Whit Taylor was wearing out UT but their DBs were tackling our receivers before the ball was even close with no calls. We win that game with honest officiating.
Was that the same game where Willie Gault was ruled in bounds on a catch at the one with us up 3 in the last minute? He was in bounds. The problem was, he never caught the ball. It went right through his hands and hit the ground with him upright and trying to stay in bounds. They scored and we lost again.
Locked Previous topicNext topic