Clark Lea Georgia postgame press conference

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Clark Lea Georgia postgame press conference

Post by BrentVU »

Elijah McAllister and Bradley Ashmore also take questions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GspghtYlgs

kay1092
Commander

Re: Clark Lea Georgia postgame press conference

Post by kay1092 »

CCL thank you for your contributions to Vanderbilt. If you want our team to get better please leave. You are in over your head. You speak better than coach Derek mason, but you are worse. Your ownership and accountability of being the first HC to lose to a FBS school and not just lose but get blown out Also UGA is a great program and team, but you couldn't hang 6 minutes with them. You could take a knee every possession and lose by less than that.

Heard enough about process, culture, personality, and better days ahead. The team will be better when you are gone.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

kay1092 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm Your ownership and accountability of being the first HC to lose to a FBS school .....etc.etc
You REALLY don't have a clue, do you?

So, who was that one dreaded loss to a FBS school to?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Really concerning that it only took 5minutes 40 seconds for coach to answer all questions. Kind of a feeling of "nothing left to say".
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kay1092 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm CCL thank you for your contributions to Vanderbilt. If you want our team to get better please leave. You are in over your head. You speak better than coach Derek mason, but you are worse. Your ownership and accountability of being the first HC to lose to a FBS school and not just lose but get blown out Also UGA is a great program and team, but you couldn't hang 6 minutes with them. You could take a knee every possession and lose by less than that.

Heard enough about process, culture, personality, and better days ahead. The team will be better when you are gone.
Very genius comments 4 games into his Vandy HC career. :cry:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

There was nothing he could have said that would have pleased anybody.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

A month ago he was praised as a great hire. Now that we have lost some games, the sharks are out. I take the long view. What will our team look like in 3 or 4 years? Recruiting is the key.

Yes, the loss to (pro) Georgia was difficult to watch. The TV announcers were talking about how many Georgia defensive linemen would go in the first or subsequent round of the next NFL draft. Georgia is a legit number one team, even though Bama will retain the first spot in the rankings.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VU1970 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:53 pm There was nothing he could have said that would have pleased anybody.
Exactly: also no coach could have turned Vanderbilt football team inherited this year into a winner. The one game we lost that most counted as a win was to ETSU which is 4-0 for season, had a spring season, has an experienced head coach and a lot of veteran players - in retrospect that probably would be a loss 90% of times the game is played given the state of the 2 teams. Now we do have to beat U Conn and it will not be a given considering their last second loss yesterday. But here us hoping our shell-shocked team can manage a victory Saturday.
AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Post by AirForceDore »

Charleston post is spot on. This is not a slight against the players, but we dont have the talent these other SEC teams do. No coach in the country could have gotten more than 10 points (if that) with the level of talent we have vs the level UGA has.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

What we did get with the Clark Lea hire was someone at least as emotionally committed as anyone could be to our program. Beyond that can that translate to better results on the field. Not so far.
At this point we haven’t really seen enough competence to go with it from this staff. I just am tired of hearing we just have terrible players and we will just somehow get better ones and that will make all the difference. If you are a player on this team how would you feel? These guys had success in high school and had offers from other schools. What I want to see is a coaching staff that can make them better. So far they aren’t better and I am not sure this staff knows how.
Over half the teams in college football that played yesterday do not have any more talent than we do when recruited out of high school. Yet I am not sure that there are many that would have gotten beaten worse than we were yesterday.
That’s a problem.
It is not just that Georgia had open receivers, it is HOW open they were that is a problem. Defensive scheme, technique, recognition, all shot not just player speed.
4 first downs? Not just speed or strength causing that. A terrible game plan, poor play calling, and basic techniques of getting a hat on a hat.
Refreshing to listen to and watch Sam Pittman’s Arkansas team. Not ONE corporate buzz word and they are playing lights out.
I know this staff WANTS to get get better with all their hearts and souls. I give them a pass for that for a bit. At this point it doesn’t look like they know how. Can they learn? Guess we will see. No reasonable person believes that Clark won’t get 3 years to try. To make that palatable I truly hope we drop the buzz words to try to make us look smart. We are not at this point when it comes to football.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

admin wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:19 pm
kay1092 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm CCL thank you for your contributions to Vanderbilt. If you want our team to get better please leave. You are in over your head. You speak better than coach Derek mason, but you are worse. Your ownership and accountability of being the first HC to lose to a FBS school and not just lose but get blown out Also UGA is a great program and team, but you couldn't hang 6 minutes with them. You could take a knee every possession and lose by less than that.

Especially from that person who doesn't even know what "FBS" is.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

There’s nothing to say. It’s not CCLs fault that the at worst #1A team in the country came to town with an axe to grind (based on decisions made when CCL was in South Bend) at the exact time we’ve hit the “reset” button on our entire program. It was a known drubbing to be absorbed from the moment CCL took the job. Just take it, hope for few/no injuries- and move forward.

Hopefully, UGAs blood lust is now satiated, and maybe a few promising recruits look at it and think- “Wow. I could be on the field at Vandy sooner rather than later…”.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Once we get our new facilities built we'll have a better chance to recruit and sign more talented players. Lea has a plan.

The only thing I don't agree with is his plan not to bring in graduate transfers. I think in this day and age of college football you have to do that. You know we are going to have players leaving for other schools. That's the way it is now. We need to be able to do the same thing as what the others are doing in order to fill talent gaps on our roster.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Great post belair, especially the "buzz word" part.
DoreDoc
Commander

Post by DoreDoc »

I believe a far more talented Alabama team lost to Louisiana Monroe in Saban's first season there. I'm sure the vultures were looking for his head then too. We have been traditionally a school that doesn't get the ready to play talent but have to develop the talent over the first few years. Unfortunately, the events of the past year affect us more than other schools at our level. Our best players graduated, opted out, or transferred. Some are back but we have a lot of players that need time to develop as players and grow in the weight room. Add a new coach to the equation and we don't have a high ceiling. UGA doesn't have those issues. Like Bama they just reload. The transfer portal makes them even richer. The will embarrass a lot of schools this year, not just us. The cupboard is bare and it's hard to judge the coaching staff when we play Goliath.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

DoreDoc wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:52 pm I believe a far more talented Alabama team lost to Louisiana Monroe in Saban's first season there. I'm sure the vultures were looking for his head then too.
Heck, Derek Mason beat Kirby Smart in Smart’s first season, and some Dawg fans wanted him fired on the spot.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

I will revisit this next year. Because we all know that after today there is no chance he can redeem himself in 2021
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

VU1970 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:53 pm There was nothing he could have said that would have pleased anybody.
I disagree. Everyone watching that game saw the 3 man rush get gashed on the first two drives of the game, then again on the last drive. At least say "maybe" the coaches should do a better job of giving the players a chance to succeed. Instead he defended "his" play calling and scheme and essentially said they'll go over film to find player mistakes. He's human, he makes mistakes. Own up to one them at least once instead of throwing the players under bus every single time. The same players whom he refused to allow depth and help for through the transfer portal.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

kay1092 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:36 pm

I will revisit this next year. Because we all know that after today there is no chance he can redeem himself in 2021
I will love to be proven wrong. But even the ADMIN who criticizes me will admit I am right. When you got it you got it the you don't you don't. CJF had it. CCL does not. Simple as that. 4 games or 1 game of 60 games. it will be the same.
Locked Previous topicNext topic