The Chasm has never been wider…

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

The Chasm has never been wider…

Post by DS2001 »

between Vanderbilt and the rest of the conference. I knew this was coming. That doesn’t make it any less difficult to sit and watch. But it does put a rubber stamp on one thing. We are woefully devoid of SEC type talent on both sides of the ball. The VU team that lost to Alabama 59-0 had much more SEC talent than this team. It was just poorly coached. This team just doesn’t have much. Clark Lea and the coaches know that. The job they have the rest of the season is keeping the team from coming completely unglued and keeping some of our decent future talent from heading to the transfer portal. The game next week against UConn is our last best hope for a win. I hope the coaches and team can respond. And by the way, Georgia has a good shot at winning the National Championship. They don’t have a weakness.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: The Chasm has never been wider…

Post by MrMemorial »

DS2001 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:41 pm between Vanderbilt and the rest of the conference. I knew this was coming. That doesn’t make it any less difficult to sit and watch. But it does put a rubber stamp on one thing. We are woefully devoid of SEC type talent on both sides of the ball. The VU team that lost to Alabama 59-0 had much more SEC talent than this team. It was just poorly coached. This team just doesn’t have much. Clark Lea and the coaches know that. The job they have the rest of the season is keeping the team from coming completely unglued and keeping some of our decent future talent from heading to the transfer portal. The game next week against UConn is our last best hope for a win. I hope the coaches and team can respond. And by the way, Georgia has a good shot at winning the National Championship. They don’t have a weakness.
UConn is leading Wyoming at home 3-0 in front of a crowd of hundreds. That may not hold up but Wyoming is unbeaten, having played pretty much nobody. We might beat UConn but it won't be a blowout. Or we could pull a "UNLV game all over again."
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Georgia is in no way representative of "the rest of the conference."
Georgia and Alabama are in their own world of talent, and there is a huge drop off from them to the rest of college football.
Florida oscillates - sometimes near that level, sometimes appreciably below it. LSU usually has talent about like Florida, but their culture and leadership is psychiatrically unstable so their results are more erratic.
There is another big dropoff from that level down to the rest of the conference.

Vanderbilt probably is the least talented team in the SEC - but the step up from Vanderbilt to South Carolina or Tennessee is much closer than the step from SC or UT to the Georgias and Bamas of the world.
The best James Franklin teams would not have stood a chance against this Georgia team. Maybe it's 53-10 instead of 62-0, but dude, we were playing an NFL team today.

Yes, it's bad. But using Georgia as the yardstick we are aiming for - especially in the short to medium term - is wildly exaggerated.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

alathIN wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:04 pm Georgia is in no way representative of "the rest of the conference."
Georgia and Alabama are in their own world of talent, and there is a huge drop off from them to the rest of college football.
Florida oscillates - sometimes near that level, sometimes appreciably below it. LSU usually has talent about like Florida, but their culture and leadership is psychiatrically unstable so their results are more erratic.
There is another big dropoff from that level down to the rest of the conference.

Vanderbilt probably is the least talented team in the SEC - but the step up from Vanderbilt to South Carolina or Tennessee is much closer than the step from SC or UT to the Georgias and Bamas of the world.
The best James Franklin teams would not have stood a chance against this Georgia team. Maybe it's 53-10 instead of 62-0, but dude, we were playing an NFL team today.

Yes, it's bad. But using Georgia as the yardstick we are aiming for - especially in the short to medium term - is wildly exaggerated.
I understand the sentiment and somewhat agree with this statement but no doubt Vandy is definitely the least talented team in the SEC and will likely enter every SEC contest with less than a 10% of victory. I would take even money if they are within 2 touchdowns of ANY SEC opponent. I think the UConn game will be competitive but very ugly to watch.

As a longtime fan, I definitely think it will get better (it has to right?) and CCL may make this program more competitive and possibly get into a bowl game or two. Currently, they don't belong in the SEC as they look more suited for the OVC.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

The star rating system is of course not perfect. But a team of 4 and 5 star recruits is going to beat a team of 3 star recruits (with a few 2's, and maybe a couple of 4's sprinkled in) the majority of time.

That's just the way it is. Some things will never change. That's just the way it is ….

---- Bruce Hornsby
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Alath, I used Georgia as a comparison to illustrate that if we are only on aspiring to get comparable talent to be the 13th best SEC team, I would argue we’re never going to be any better than 13th best. We need to aspire to at least to try to compete with the best.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

DS2001 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:07 pm Alath, I used Georgia as a comparison to illustrate that if we are only on aspiring to get comparable talent to be the 13th best SEC team, I would argue we’re never going to be any better than 13th best. We need to aspire to at least to try to compete with the best.
You may note I said using Georgia as the yardstick doesn't make sense "in the short to medium term."
If recruiting like Georgia is a long term plan, I agree.
Recruiting like Georgia next year does not seem like a plan grounded in reality.
If we could recruit like a mid-tier SEC program next year and the year after that, it would be a giant step in the right direction.
Locked Previous topicNext topic