Rome has Fallen

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Albert_Camus
Admiral

Rome has Fallen

Post by Albert_Camus »

The Visigoths are in the Forum. Diermeier should walk out under cover of a white flag and give Kirby Smart the password to the Endowment Account as Vanderbilt becomes a minor tributory campus of the University of Georgia system. We submit to the power of the gothic deities Wodanaz, Tiwaz and Punraz.

Albert

I used to be disgusted. Now I am just amused.
Elvis Costello
historybill
Admiral

Re: Rome has Fallen

Post by historybill »

The last 3 Vanderbilt games I attended were the 34-10 home loss to UNLV, the 38-14 home loss to Kentucky and the 23-3 home loss to ETSU.

All of those games were a bigger disgrace that losing 91-0 to Georgia, which apparently is going to happen today.

Everyone who knew anything about SEC football knew this was coming. It's going to take this program 4-5 years to recover from what Mason did to it.
Albert_Camus
Admiral

Post by Albert_Camus »

The last away game I attended was a win a against Kirby Smart in Athens that was engineered by none other than the hated Derek Mason.
Albert

I used to be disgusted. Now I am just amused.
Elvis Costello
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Albert_Camus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:59 am The last away game I attended was a win a against Kirby Smart in Athens that was engineered by none other than the hated Derek Mason.
This. I don’t fully understand all the hatred for Mason. Like pretty much everyone who posts on the board, I was in full agreement with the decision to let him go and find a new HC. However, I can’t understand why anyone is pumping sunshine about the current coaching staff when they sure seem like they are following in the exact same footsteps as Mason in terms of game planning/play-calling.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:34 pm
Albert_Camus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:59 am
This. I don’t fully understand all the hatred for Mason.
May have something to do with the state of the program he left.

Rome? The victors today were barbarians, but the similarity ends there.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:39 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:34 pm
Albert_Camus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:59 am
This. I don’t fully understand all the hatred for Mason.
May have something to do with the state of the program left.
Franklin was the outlier (dare I say anomaly?), and I suspect the sample size was somewhat misleading. If we’re being truly honest with ourselves, Mason didn’t leave the program in any worse shape than it has been since WW2 (interesting program comparison about that timespan they did during the UGA broadcast - I was aware of the program’s prior success, but highlighting the pre-/post-WW2 results was informative).
All that to say, we don’t have to be complacent with the state of the program. However, I hardly think it fair to lay that at Mason’s feet as if he was the sole problem.

(Note: the pun about Mason’s soles was purely coincidental; I wish I were that clever in foresight, but I’ll settle for recognizing it in hindsight.)
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

the only coach that was immediately known by all to be the right one was CJF. It's like any other hire, you know immediately if they will cut it. We all know about this one too, just others are willing to make excuses because he is an alum, and we have a talent gap, etc. Truth is, talent doesn't let you lose to FBS in a blowout. Talent doesn't let you lose to UGA by 70. Talent doesn't let the other team drive down the field every drive to start the game. Nor does depth. These things are more than talent and depth. It's simply bad game planning and coaching. That's what it is.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

The Parthenon is in Rome?
cdores
Lieutenant

Post by cdores »

Don't stop him. He's on a roll.
Locked Previous topicNext topic