Endowment

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dore74
Vice Admiral

Endowment

Post by dore74 »

Just came across this:
Totaling over $10 billion as of June 30, 2021, Vanderbilt has one of the 20 largest university endowments in the U.S.
Seems like an enormous increase over the last two or three years. Anyone have any insight as to what's going on in the investment office?
While not money going directly into athletics (except, of course, to all those baseball scholarships) but certainly is great for all aspects of the institution--including sports.

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Re: Endowment

Post by PeteFox »

In general, the investment markets have done very well over the last few years, even for an investment idiot like me. I imagine they have done VERY well for active traders who know what they are doing. It's good to see that VU's endowment is mostly in line with their national (academic) ranking.

Really has nothing to do with the athletic side of the equation, however, except as it relates to increases in the value of the TV contracts via the SECpayout.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I haven't seen the June 30, 2021 figures, but that would be a big increase. Last figures I that I saw, we were well behind Northwestern, Wash. U., Emory and Duke. Endowment per student figures are much different (Pomona, Swarthmore, Williams, Amherst).

I would like to finally see passed some of that legislation requiring schools with over a certain amount of endowment to spend at least a small portion every year. Harvard could have free tuition, if it cared to direct the income from its endowment that way.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Northwestern to renovate Ryan Field using part of a $480 million gift from the Ryan family. Now, if only we could get those dead Indians to pony up to renovate the Dud.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

dore74 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:04 pm Just came across this:
Totaling over $10 billion as of June 30, 2021, Vanderbilt has one of the 20 largest university endowments in the U.S.
Seems like an enormous increase over the last two or three years. Anyone have any insight as to what's going on in the investment office?
While not money going directly into athletics (except, of course, to all those baseball scholarships) but certainly is great for all aspects of the institution--including sports.
That is a huge jump. I found an article that listed Vanderbilt's endowment in 2020 at $6.9 Billion, so a 45% increase in one year is staggering. Vanderbilt also had the biggest jump of any university from 2019, increasing by 10.3% to pass Johns Hopkins and Rice. I am sure everyone else had increases as well, but if every other university stayed at the same amount from 2020 to 2021, Vanderbilt would jump from #20 to #14, just ahead of Duke at $8.5 Billion, and behind Northwestern at $10.9 Billion. I hope it isn't all invested in Bitcoin.

https://247wallst.com/special-report/20 ... rsities/4/
Last edited by katmai on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Johnmn555 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:09 pm I haven't seen the June 30, 2021 figures, but that would be a big increase. Last figures I that I saw, we were well behind Northwestern, Wash. U., Emory and Duke. Endowment per student figures are much different (Pomona, Swarthmore, Williams, Amherst).

I would like to finally see passed some of that legislation requiring schools with over a certain amount of endowment to spend at least a small portion every year. Harvard could have free tuition, if it cared to direct the income from its endowment that way.
I am sure they could do more if they wanted to, but Harvard's Expected Family Contribution was about half of Vanderbilt's EFC when my son was looking at colleges back in 2018. Harvard was by far the most generous, followed closely by Stanford. Vanderbilt was very similar to Penn, with Duke a little more expensive, and Northwestern the most expensive. Vanderbilt also offers more merit aid than any of those schools, with the Ivy League schools offering need-based aid exclusively.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

3rdFloorDyer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:59 pm Speaking of Northwestern....

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/9/22/ ... ryan-field
Unfortunately, Dudley is dead. Does he have rich family?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

katmai wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 pm
That is a huge jump. I found an article that listed Vanderbilt's endowment in 2020 at $6.9 Billion, so a 45% increase in one year is staggering. Vanderbilt also had the biggest jump of any university from 2019, increasing by 10.3% to pass Johns Hopkins and Rice. I am sure everyone else had increases as well, but if every other university stayed at the same amount from 2020 to 2021, Vanderbilt would jump from #20 to #14, just ahead of Duke at $8.5 Billion, and behind Northwestern at $10.9 Billion. I hope it isn't all invested in Bitcoin.

Apple, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft. :P
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

katmai wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Its really not that crazy of an increase. The Nasdaq increased by the same amount in that time period. You have to remember that the market tanked in late winter/early spring because of Covid. It had started to come back as we headed into summer, but it has been on a real ride since then. I imagine if you measured the performance from 12/31/19 to 6/30/21 (18 months) the performance would be much the same in spite of the extra time. In my work we have an endowment managed by professionals and we really weren't happy that they only returned about 35% in the same time period. Just my perspective.
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

Id be fine with a company buying the naming rights to our stadium... Bancorp Stadium, First Tennessee Stadium, or whatever...
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

shelbz75 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:31 pm Id be fine with a company buying the naming rights to our stadium... Bancorp Stadium, First Tennessee Stadium, or whatever...
Me too. As far as I am concerned, the Dudley is a dud.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

shelbz75 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:31 pm Id be fine with a company buying the naming rights to our stadium... Bancorp Stadium, First Tennessee Stadium, or whatever...
Given our record of success, the most fitting company we could sell Dudley's naming rights to is Blockbuster.
Dorefrom88
Commander

Post by Dorefrom88 »

Doreknox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:05 pm
Given our record of success, the most fitting company we could sell Dudley's naming rights to is Blockbuster.
I was thinking it might be Ron's Porta-Johns. Be flushed with excitement watching Vanderbilt football...
Locked Previous topicNext topic