Mike Wright

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Mike Wright

Post by Nashmann »

How long does an extremely talented athlete stay at Vanderbilt riding the bench? I know Seals is the QB but Wright HAS to play somewhere else. Yes I know he is back up and don't want him hurt but you have Moussa in reserve too. I think Wright will get his degree then transfer out. He is the only player with real SEC speed!

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Mike Wright

Post by OldDude »

Understand your concern, but sure don't know the answer. We are not deep at QB so have to be prepared for a Seals injury. But we are thin in so many areas maybe Wright might be able to help (again not sure where). Would hate to see him in the portal.
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

I think with Davis done for the season we need to get him some runs. Put both him and Seals in the game. Run some jet sweeps, wild cat, and even line him up behind Seals. Could also open up some potential for trick plays.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Our offense looks very plain vanilla. There's a happy medium between gadget plays and plain vanilla, and it's getting Seals and Wright on the field at the same time. Can you name a play that we ran against Stanford that might get a defense off balance, just a bit?
Dores137
Lieutenant

Post by Dores137 »

I could see using him in a fashion similar to how the Saints use Taysom Hill, when he hasn't been the starting QB. He lines up at TE, WR, RB and QB. Wright is not as big as Taysom, so TE and RB may be out of the question but some Jet sweeps, routes as a WR and wildcat with a legitamite threat to throw the ball would make our offense more dynamic. It would also keep Wright as a QB and hopefully give him enough playing time so he would want to stick around.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

in the days before the transfer portal and more generous transfer rules, my other school, Syracuse, had a three way competion for QB, that was won by Donavan McNabb. One of the other three, Kevin Johnson, very much like Wright in speed and athletic ability, switched to WR in order to get on the field. Became starter, drafted by NFL in second round, seven year career.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Have you seen him throw? While he is obviously a gifted athlete in a small sample he is very inaccurate and has far from perfect mechanics throwing the ball. Lofting to a wide open Cam Johnson on the last play of the game does nothing to change that. I have been totally fine with sticking with Seals and improving execution with game reps.
We have had to come a LONG way just to get somewhat of a basic offense in place without wasting reps on gadget or change of pace plays. When that is somewhat solid, THEN the wrinkles and more of a playbook.
Being successful with the short drop back throws at least have given defenses something that they have to take away. Opened up some outside zone runs and will eventually open some double move receiver routes when they jam us at the line. However that will only work if we can hold blocks more than 1.5 seconds.
It would be nice to use Wright at running back but he doesn't have the right kind of frame and would have no training to assist with pass protection.
I don't see us getting enough push at the line to run Wildcat certainly not this weekend if at all. Nor do we have the lateral speed beyond Wright to jet sweep etc. Keeping him healthy is probably job #1 with the pounding Seals is taking. At least 3-4 times a game I wonder how he is getting up.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

There's a lot of truth in what you are saying, and 2d QB as Most Popular Player Syndrome is a factor here. I have not seen from Wright, in a relatively limited sample, indications that his passing and game sense are at an SEC starting QB level. I don't believe we need to have a fully developed plain vanilla offense before throwing a few minor wrinkles in.

I'm not sure I would put as positive a spin on our short passing game. Seals' completion percentage and yardage (120 yards on 37 attempts) were terrible in the Stanford game. Not all his fault, but the short passes were not working very well. Aside for about 20 minutes worth of the CSU game, they haven't worked well at all.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm There's a lot of truth in what you are saying, and 2d QB as Most Popular Player Syndrome is a factor here. I have not seen from Wright, in a relatively limited sample, indications that his passing and game sense are at an SEC starting QB level. I don't believe we need to have a fully developed plain vanilla offense before throwing a few minor wrinkles in.

I'm not sure I would put as positive a spin on our short passing game. Seals' completion percentage and yardage (120 yards on 37 attempts) were terrible in the Stanford game. Not all his fault, but the short passes were not working very well. Aside for about 20 minutes worth of the CSU game, they haven't worked well at all.
Not only during that stretch in the CSU game, but also in our two first-half touchdown drives, Seals looked good. He was connecting on his passes and making the right decisions. Sometimes he forces passes, especially to Pierce, and it doesn’t work. The super-human catch Pierce made against CSU, when he reached around the defender and made a one-handed catch, was a pass that probably shouldn’t have been attempted. That should have been an interception.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I am not saying he should be the #1 QB....just that he is a very talented athlete and a shame he sits on the sideline when our cupboard is supposedly bare.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

Pass to pierce should have been attempted - but better placed. Pierce bailed out a bad throw
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

We never hear about Jeremy Moussa. He had great numbers in Junior College and I thought he was a close third in the QB competition last fall.

Don't expect much run production from Moussa, but I would like to see him throw the ball in a game.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I'd love to see Wright on the field more, but whenever I think about how to do it I run into brick walls of uh, maybe not such a great idea.
Like using Wright in wildcat formation or for jet sweeps: you're basically making your #2 QB into a running back - where he would be likely to pick up, oh, I don't know, just a purely hypothetical example, a season-ending toe injury.
Use him as a receiver? It's one of the strongest position groups on the team. You're going to sit Cam or Pierce or Shepard or Boddie to put in a marginally faster player with less positional skill and experience? I don't think a skosche more speed will make up for a drop or a losing the battle for a 50-50 ball or missing a downfield block.
Putting Wright in at the 20 and giving him a series sounds good, but in retrospect I think that's why Seals never found any rhythm in the ETSU game.
I like all of those ideas on first flash, but if I sit and think about them for 60 seconds I like them less and less.

One situation I would definitely play Wright - any game that is out of reach and Seals is taking a pounding. Wright can probably elude the pounding better and he needs reps to become better at his actual position: quarterback.
Locked Previous topicNext topic