Franklin should stay at Penn State

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

Franklin should stay at Penn State

Post by thefan »

Reasons:

1. It would be a step down

2. Better recruits in the Pennsylvania and Ohio area

3. California is not the Golden State anymore

4. His income would likely be very heavily taxed compared to Pennsylvania.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Franklin should stay at Penn State

Post by charlestonalum »

Looking for his next gig: how many of his top recruiting class follow him?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He has a better chance of reaching the playoffs at USC.

California is loaded with talent.

Pennsylvania taxes are no picnic.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Ever heard the term "staying ahead of the posse"?
Captcook
Captain

Post by Captcook »

Believe me… he’s not going anywhere. He may leverage it into another raise, but he’s not leaving.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

I think he should go to USC. Penn State is still a damaged brand IMHO- and most of the country not particularly eager to see them do well any time soon. USC has had its own issues- but not of the same variety- and one of the few programs (when it has its act together) that can actually stand up to the SEC juggernaut. At the end of the day, if his goal remains to be the first African-American National Championship Coach- he’s got a better shot in SoCal leading the preeminent program in the conference, than rural Pennsylvania blocked by Ohio St.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 pm He has a better chance of reaching the playoffs at USC.

I think California used to be loaded with talent but not so sure that is the case anymore. Heard on a sports talk show explained that the mindset of the California high school athlete has deteriorated from what it used to be and if you notice USC nor UCLA are the perennial powers they once were!
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Franklin is a shrewd careerist.
He will look at things like the talent on his roster, the opposition he faces, and what kind of results would be seen as exceeding expectations vs what he can realistically achieve - weighed against similar calculations for USC - and he'll stay or go depending on where he has the best chance to burnish his reputation.

The opposite case, to me, is a job like LSU. They recently won a national championship, so a really impressive performance like narrowly losing a national championship game to Bama might not be seen as a great accomplishment.
If he thinks he can get that result at PSU, he'll stay.

I don't really follow PSU or USC . I do have the impression that PSU is the higher marquee job. But I'm not sure that will drive his decision.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

An interesting note, since the polling era began in college football - 1936 - USC has 7 national championships with the most recent being 2004 while Penn St has 2 national championships the most recent being 1986.
vandytoad
Rear Admiral

Post by vandytoad »

Good point but PSU was never considered a top tier program until the 1970's when they had Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris so the comparative era would be the 70's forward. No doubt, USC would still have more championships but the gap would be narrower.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

thefan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:06 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:21 pm He has a better chance of reaching the playoffs at USC.

I think California used to be loaded with talent but not so sure that is the case anymore. Heard on a sports talk show explained that the mindset of the California high school athlete has deteriorated from what it used to be and if you notice USC nor UCLA are the perennial powers they once were!
So…a sports talk show “explained” that “the mindset of the California high school athlete has deteriorated,” resulting in diminished performance??? Sounds like some stellar, objective journalism to me. :roll:
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Two other things to consider:

* Franklin's family has been in Florida for much of the pandemic, as one of his daughters has sickle cell. (Franklin himself has been living in a garage apartment when they are back in State College.) I wouldn't discount the impact his family situation will have upon any decision to relocate.

* The weather sucks in State College. I mean, really sucks.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:25 pm Two other things to consider:

* Franklin's family has been in Florida for much of the pandemic, as one of his daughters has sickle cell. (Franklin himself has been living in a garage apartment when they are back in State College.) I wouldn't discount the impact his family situation will have upon any decision to relocate.

* The weather sucks in State College. I mean, really sucks.
As to the daughter, while in Nashville he said VU hospital was where they needed to be. When he moved he stated that his daughter was ill and needed to be up there because they had the best hospital care for her (though VU is a top 10 hospital). Now we find that they are spending time in Florida for treatment. Sounds like he has no Idea what he is talking about.
Last edited by commadore on Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

x

Post by Go Vandy! »

x
Last edited by Go Vandy! on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:23 pm

So…a sports talk show “explained” that “the mindset of the California high school athlete has deteriorated,” resulting in diminished performance??? Sounds like some stellar, objective journalism to me. :roll:
You can be as cynical as you want. It has been several years since I heard the guy and he may have been with ESPN or CBS Sports. You have no better clue than this guy did and the California teams have not been near what they were 15 years in the past. Where you get off being so condescending about whose opinion is or is not reliable?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

MikenNashville wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:00 am An interesting note, since the polling era began in college football - 1936 - USC has 7 national championships with the most recent being 2004 while Penn St has 2 national championships the most recent being 1986.
Was that last national title not tainted by Reggie Bush and Coach Steve Carroll?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

thefan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:31 am
MikenNashville wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:00 am An interesting note, since the polling era began in college football - 1936 - USC has 7 national championships with the most recent being 2004 while Penn St has 2 national championships the most recent being 1986.
Was that last national title not tainted by Reggie Bush forfeting the Heisman Trophy and Coach Steve Carroll leaving USC for the NFL?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

thefan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:50 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:23 pm

You can be as cynical as you want. It has been several years since I heard the guy and he may have been with ESPN or CBS Sports. You have no better clue than this guy did and the California teams have not been near what they were 15 years in the past. Where do you get off being so condescending about whose opinion is or is not reliable?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

alathIN wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:38 am Franklin is a shrewd careerist.
He will look at things like the talent on his roster, the opposition he faces, and what kind of results would be seen as exceeding expectations vs what he can realistically achieve - weighed against similar calculations for USC - and he'll stay or go depending on where he has the best chance to burnish his reputation.

The opposite case, to me, is a job like LSU. They recently won a national championship, so a really impressive performance like narrowly losing a national championship game to Bama might not be seen as a great accomplishment.
If he thinks he can get that result at PSU, he'll stay.

I don't really follow PSU or USC . I do have the impression that PSU is the higher marquee job. But I'm not sure that will drive his decision.
Can't disagree about Coach Franklin being a shrewd careerist but do not think he is alone in the college ranks. The college game is marketed as "be true to your school", while a considerable portion of the coaches are just true to their bank accounts and recruits/rosters to themselves. No matter how much the powers that be romance it, college sports is definitely a business!
Locked Previous topicNext topic