Gentry Estes: Heupel's 'fun' approach more appealing than Clark Lea's 'overcoming adversity' message

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Gentry Estes: Heupel's 'fun' approach more appealing than Clark Lea's 'overcoming adversity' message

Post by BrentVU »

OK, what do you guys think about this?

Tennessean: What's more appealing? Josh Heupel's 'fun' with Tennessee or Vanderbilt's 'adversity'? (by columnist Gentry Estes)
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 336998002/

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Gentry Estes: Heupel's 'fun' approach more appealing than Clark Lea's 'overcoming adversity' message

Post by VUaskew »

Kind of a pointless article.

Each coach is doing what he thinks is best. Maybe that genius of a writer should have mentioned UT's laissez-faire culture that permitted McDonald's bags of cash to be handed out almost openly.

Maybe he should have mentioned that life will have plenty of adversity and a need for hard work. What better place to prepare for it that at a Top-15 university?

Why not mention that UT and VU do not usually recruit the same type of athlete, and have different missions?

All the fun in the world hasn't helped you back to the top of the SEC which their fan base so desperately needs for their collective self-esteem.

Again, pointless.
Lynchsr
Captain

Re: Gentry Estes: Heupel's 'fun' approach more appealing than Clark Lea's 'overcoming adversity' message

Post by Lynchsr »

Interesting take on things.

Quotes from TN coach who is selling versus quotes from VU players who are doing. Hard to compare since they (coach versus players) have a very different perspective.

My own experience is you don’t get a second chance to establish the culture of your team. What happens when the sanctions from the McDonalds breakfast sandwiches hit and the usual V4L habits reoccur? Tough to convince people you are in control when you are preaching let’s have fun.

The results will be obvious by year 3-4. Personally I like Vandy’s trajectory better then theirs. I don’t hear any winning programs (Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma) talking about fun. The only I program I can think of was USC under Carrol and maybe Kiffin at Ole Miss.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Woody was fun. Nuff said.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

If it’s fun you want, drop in on any Their message boards.
JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore »

I think is a sportswriter trying to drum up an interesting story out of something that's not really a big deal.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

"The wiser approach, though, has been the program in Knoxville stressing the opposite.
If you were a teenage football star or a college player transferring, which message would appeal more to you?" Gentry Estes

Well, this is a provocative piece. I suppose because I grew up listening to Bear Bryant talk about practice and hearing the stories about his training camps or even listening today to Nick Saban, that Saturday's are for fun and the rest of the days are for serious preparation to enable the fun on Saturday. I think that is the winning approach and good football players understand that. Clark Lea is promising fun, but it will be after all the work so that yes, Saturdays can be fun. We will never get the athletes UT can offer so it will be interesting to see who has the most fun on each of the last Saturday in November. I counting on Lea and his players to have more fun then, but it will be a couple of years from now. Looked to me like we had a lot of fun after the game Saturday not sure about UT.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:46 am OK, what do you guys think about this?

Tennessean: What's more appealing? Josh Heupel's 'fun' with Tennessee or Vanderbilt's 'adversity'? (by columnist Gentry Estes)
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 336998002/
Winning on the road = fun
Losing at home = not so much

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

In my view "fun" is ephemeral. It is not sustained. "Satisfaction" is more enduring. Satisfaction comes from knowing you performed at your best, even if not winning. Winning is the icing on the satisfaction cupcake.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I read enough of the article to know that Gentry Estes never competed in anything beyond grade-school dodgeball. Anyone who has competed at a moderately high level in an NCAA/Olympic sport knows that training, practicing, studying the sport is hard work. Only the diligent and strong advance and succeed in any degree. I get the need for a positive attitude from the coaches and staff, but a coach can be positive and very demanding at the same time. Estes is a shill in orange.
Locked Previous topicNext topic