David Shaw Tuesday 9/14 press conference pre-Vanderbilt

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

David Shaw Tuesday 9/14 press conference pre-Vanderbilt

Post by BrentVU »

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: David Shaw Tuesday 9/14 press conference pre-Vanderbilt

Post by BrentVU »

Shaw was asked why he thinks Stanford has had more recent success than Vanderbilt, Northwestern, or Duke...

“I’m trying to give you the nicest answer I can, because I mean no disrespect to any of that group. But we’re the best academic institution in that group. The U.S. News & World Report (rankings) came out again, and we’re No. 6. We’re still not happy about it, but we’ve been the highest-ranked academic program playing (FBS) college football since as long as I can remember. So that ability for us to go in and say, ‘Hey, you want to play Division I college football and get the best education in the world to play Division I college football?’ We’ve been able to get a lot of those recruits, not to mention of that group we are also the only one that truly recruits nationally.

“Most of them still recruit regionally, but I think our academic prestige allows us to recruit coast to coast. So that leaves us up to a better pool of talent — or not a better pool necessarily, just a broader pool. We have guys on our team from Florida and Georgia and DC and the Midwest and the Northwest and the Southeast and the Southwest. I think that has helped a ton. But the fact that our academic prestige is world-renowned helps a lot.”
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

The 2022 U.S. News & World Report rankings, pretty hot off the presses...

1. Princeton
2. Columbia & Harvard & M.I.T.
5. Yale
6. Stanford & U of Chicago
8. Penn
10. CalTech & Duke & Johns Hopkins & Northwestern
13. Dartmouth
14. Brown & Vanderbilt & Washington St. Louis
17. Cornell & Rice
19. Notre Dame
20. UCLA
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

Thems fighting’ words!!
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I lived in the Bay Area for 13 years. Shaw left off that the area is blessed with great weather, beautiful hills adjacent to the campus, nearby ocean and the Sierra Nevada mountains about 4 hours away. The campus is beautiful, although Vandy's is not shabby. All of that helps in recruiting, in my view.

If the graduates stay, then there are many high paying jobs. The downside is the extreme cost of living. Also, traffic is getting progressively worse, but someone can take a train from near the campus to downtown San Francisco.

Despite the above accolades I would not return.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Ok, I'm going to say this as nice as possible (just like David Shaw) but I think the worst business trip that I ever had in my life was a week in San Francisco. Between the weird weather, the enormous hills, the large number of homeless, the smell and the crime I left wondering why anyone would want to live there. To each their own as I guess that appeals to some.

It is a great school though, no one denies that and there are many, many reasons why it has a 4.3% acceptance rate. This is the one game that I wish CDM was still around as the HC to play for obvious reasons. Hopefully, Vandy shows up and makes this competitive and there is a good crowd to support them (i'll be there).
lidore12
Ensign

Post by lidore12 »

I think the only thing I agree with him on is that Stanford is the best academic school of the bunch. There may be some recruits who choose Stanford over the other 3 because of that reason but I can think of so many better reasons to pick a school to play at apart from it being marginally better than the other elite academic schools fielding FBS teams.

I'm definitely calling BS on the recruiting nationally thing. Taking a real quick look at Vanderbilt's roster we have about 25 states represented from Hawaii to NY, Michigan to Texas. I'd bet Duke and Northwestern have a similar make-up.

Finally, I don't totally agree with the premise of the question. I guess Stanford has had the most success of the 4 in say, the last 5 years, but I also think Northwestern is pretty much right there with them in the same time frame, in a better conference, and with less talent in the state.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

If you wanna play a bunch of surfboard teams go to Stanford. If you wanna play the best…

That’s all I got. Lol. Though it’s not half bad! VU#
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Another thing to add to Shaw's claim is teaching talent.
I remember talking to some my profs from college, and they said if they could get tenure at any school in the country it would be Stanford, for the quality of living, the beauty of the campus, the culture on campus etc. It's a high powered academic school in a beautiful setting and I think the faculty (and coaches) are given access to some pretty cushy accommodations--meaning they don't have to compete for that unattainably expensive housing. If not that's not accurate any more, I apologize but that is my recollection. That attracts top talent of academia which then propels the school's prowess even higher.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Didn't help them in baseball when their pitcher melted down mid-inning, now did it?
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I watch a quarter or 2 of their game vs USC. Looks like the emphasis on "Length" in player personnel is a must have. They look tall. QB is 6'6' if he is an inch and was very accurate. Guessing it will be a MUCH bigger challenge.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Honestly, have no problem with Coach Shaw calling it like it is. In a way, it’s a compliment in that he seems to acknowledge that we’re gunning for similar kids (otherwise- why bother w/differentiating?). Up to us to make it a more compelling discussion.

We’re not going to pass Stanford as an overall institution any time soon (they are at the Harvard/Yale/Oxford/Cambridge, etc. level)- but SEC > Pac12. That can be a winner IMHO (as long as we put a credible product on the field) for the overachiever player that wants to compete v the best at everything.

Sitting around a steakhouse with I-Bankers/Traders/etc. for final interviews- do you think they want to hear about the time you lined up against a down-on-its-luck USC- or what it was like to be “between the hedges” or opposite Bama w/Saban 30 ft away? There’s always Harvard/Stanford etc. for grad school.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Hey Grand Poopa, or whatever administrator took down my post, whay? I was calling no one on this board a name. And David Shaw IS being an arrogant ass. A fact is a fact and should not be censored.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Vanderbilt still has poor name recognition in much of the U.S. Stanford does not.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

BrentVU wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 pm The 2022 U.S. News & World Report rankings, pretty hot off the presses...

1. Princeton
2. Columbia & Harvard & M.I.T.
5. Yale
6. Stanford & U of Chicago
8. Penn
10. CalTech & Duke & Johns Hopkins & Northwestern
13. Dartmouth
14. Brown & Vanderbilt & Washington St. Louis
17. Cornell & Rice
19. Notre Dame
20. UCLA
My perception is that the primary factor keeping VU in the second ten is its endowment is really compared to schools in the top ten.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic