James Franklin addresses rumors in connection with USC opening

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

James Franklin addresses rumors in connection with USC opening

Post by BrentVU »

James Franklin issued a non-denial today that he might be interested in the now-open USC job...

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 33743.html

Actually, all he said is that he is going to discuss it with his team's leadership council so that it doesn't become a distraction in preparation for Auburn.

But even if he denied it, as we know from experience, it wouldn't mean much.

MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Re: James Franklin addresses rumors in connection with USC opening

Post by MemorialMagic »

I know some people love to hate on Jimmy Franks, but to his credit, he never denied that he was interested in or said that he would not take a new job when all the speculation happened.

I remember that being why I was so worried that final year. He never killed the rumors. In seasons past, he had made statements pretty soon after the regular season about signing a new contract or being here to stay to kill all the rumors. He knew the importance of it for recruiting purposes. He never did that final year. He kept saying we needed to wait until the season was over. I remember hoping beyond hope that he would make a definitive statement announcing a new contract and that he was sticking after the bowl victory in Birmingham. As we know, it never happened.

I was mad about the way all the recruiting stuff and poaching that went on in the wake of his leaving, and Franklin had his issues, but he was pretty true to his word most of the time.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

a Power 5 head coach can only reasonably expect to get 4 or 5 years without a national championship, so an opportunity to restart the clock at a different school would be foolish to not consider
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

From a columnist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Franklin knows he can’t outright deny interest in the USC job. If he denies now and takes it later, it’ll make him appear dishonest, which doesn’t go well with future recruits. However, it’s essential to remember that Franklin’s contract goes through 2025 with a $500,000 year-end retention bonus. His $4 million buyout that USC or any other school would have to pay isn’t pocket change.

There are lots of reasons for Franklin to remain at Penn State. His team could finally catch Ohio State slipping this season, for one. The Buckeyes lost against Oregon last week and look more vulnerable than ever. Franklin also has the top-rated 2022 class in America, with several big-name recruits headed to town for a White Out game against an uncommon foe. Plus, Franklin’s players trust him immensely at Penn State.

More:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu ... 2109140109
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

He's not on the hot seat at PSU and at such time that he is, he will still be a top candidate for jobs that open at other elite programs, like USC. Hence, I wouldn't expect him to jump. Of course, enough money can always change things.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MemorialMagic wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:01 pm I know some people love to hate on Jimmy Franks, but to his credit, he never denied that he was interested in or said that he would not take a new job when all the speculation happened.

I remember that being why I was so worried that final year. He never killed the rumors. In seasons past, he had made statements pretty soon after the regular season about signing a new contract or being here to stay to kill all the rumors. He knew the importance of it for recruiting purposes. He never did that final year. He kept saying we needed to wait until the season was over. I remember hoping beyond hope that he would make a definitive statement announcing a new contract and that he was sticking after the bowl victory in Birmingham. As we know, it never happened.

I was mad about the way all the recruiting stuff and poaching that went on in the wake of his leaving, and Franklin had his issues, but he was pretty true to his word most of the time.
He did state he hoped to be buried under the star V. I took that to mean he wanted to be at VU for a long time. I guess he just meant AFTER he died to bring him back and bury him there.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

x

Post by Go Vandy! »

x
Last edited by Go Vandy! on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

A 'source' tells Dan Patrick there is 'mutual interest' between James Franklin and USC...

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 60518.html
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If he thinks he has pressure at PSU, just wait until he gets to USCw.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

commadore wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:19 pm If he thinks he has pressure at PSU, just wait until he gets to USCw.

Why would he go? Happy Valley was where he always wanted to be. His dream job. HA.

Oh well, money talks louder than anything else for some or many people. Would his family be happy in LA? Or does that matter to him, or to many other coaches who wander across the USA ?
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Here's my prediction: Penn State finally wins the Big Ten Eastern Division this year (largely with defense), CJF renegotiates and stays in Happy Valley.

However, I'm also predicting a non-conference loss to Auburn this week.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Does USC really think that an established coach is going to quit his current team two games into the season and start coaching at USC? No sensible coach would do that.

I heard Urban Meyer is also high on the list. After signing the huge contract that he did with the Jacksonville Jaguars, does anyone think he’ll jump ship after only coaching one or two games?

They’ll probably have to name an interim coach for the rest of this season, then have a full coaching search after the season is over.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I predict if any kind of sex scandal develops then he'll be the next USC coach. Oh and that #1 class that Penn State currently possesses will magically change to attend THE University of Southern California. He can't help it, the recruits love him and he can't talk them out of it so it's definitely not his fault. Nothing would be more fitting than to see that happen to PSU as only then will they will understand how alot of us felt the way he departed VU.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

I’m more interested in the matchup of former Vanderbilt head coaches on Saturday. I wonder how many of Mason’s players Franklin will walk away with this time.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

My prediction is the Ghost of Papa Joe ushers him out west along with his list of high star recruits. JF is so different from Paterno and he will never live up to that comparison so time to move on. Actually his personality to me seems better suited to Hollywood than State College. Time will tell.
PS beats Auburn easily is a bonus prediction although the discussion abou USC puts this prediction into some uncertainty.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I believe his goal at one point was to be an NFL head coach. Don't know if that has changed. Just hanging around in the top 3 of the BIG for 10-12 years seems to accomplish little toward that goal.
A "miraculous" return of USC to relevance would seem to go further. Of course Poach returns to well poaching.
Win a NC while committing tons of recruiting violations THEN jump to NFL. A proven road map by Pete.
Locked Previous topicNext topic