The sound system is horrible

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

SuperDore
Chief

The sound system is horrible

Post by SuperDore »

Because the game itself is not any worth to talk about let’s focus on something more important for Vandy football :)

The sound system in the stadium is horrible. The speakers are not calibrated correctly - there’s too much high pitch. It sounds like fingernails scratching on glass; the music is too loud but the referee’s voice can hardly be audible; the PA announcer is annoying shouting with too much unreasonable hyper like at a kindergarten game.

What a miserable game experience after a pandemic shutdown year.
Last edited by SuperDore on Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnvandy
Lieutenant

Re: The sound system is horrible

Post by mnvandy »

The PA system bled into the radio broadcast last night and based off that I was unsure if I was listening to a high school or college football game.

Absolute embarrassment, on field product aside.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Do people really pay money to watch blurred videos and be yelled at relentlessly?
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

SuperDore wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:12 pm Because the game itself is not any worth to talk about let’s focus on something more important things for Vandy football.

The sound system in the stadium is horrible. The speakers are not calibrated correctly - there’s too much high pitch. It sounds like fingernails scratching on glass; the music is too loud but the referee’s voice can hardly be audible; the PA announcer is annoying shouting with too much unreasonable hyper like at a kindergarten game.

What a miserable game experience after a pandemic shutdown year.
I couldn't hear the ref at all. Not a peep. I wondered if there was something wrong with his mike? PA announcer does have a WWE quality
accent grave over the e
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I’ve never understood how we are located in Nashville and our sound system is always so bad - at all sports. How many sound engineers are located within throwing distance of campus?

Also i cannot fathom there is nobody working in Blair School of Music that might be able to help out with things.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Why did it take so long to get a new sound system for Memorial to replace the one from Terry Compton's era?

The reply I got from (now retired former bigshot at McGugin Center) was: "do you want us to pay for a new p.a. system or keep playing Stallings salary and Jenkins scholarship?"

That was his actual excuse for the pathetic system in the gym. After he retired, the gym got a new audio system and I don't think the basketball program went broke over it. They even paid a fortune to get rid of Bryce Drew (thankfully).
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The game experience, the loud music dominating everything, the PA announcer sounding like a juvenile loudmouth and the inability converse with the fan next to you was worse than the game and we all know how bad the game was. This can be fixed?!
Last edited by charlestonalum on Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I really think a joint letter from a bunch of season ticket holders on this issue would be a good idea.

I have a basement full of amps and guitars and annoy the rest of the household blasting loud music, so I'm not some chaste fuddy duddy. But I can't stand them blaring loud music at games and ridiculous PA announcers screaming about every third down. Who is all of this directed at? Do young fans really respond. I don't think so. All of this mean less time for the band, whose dedication and practice gets less game time each year.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I received a survey from VU Athletics (via Survey Monkey) about the game experience. (I also received these during the 2019 season so this is not new.) Not sure whether they send them to everyone who purchased a ticket through them or only those who attended (those whose tickets were scanned).

But it's an opportunity to present your views. There are specific questions about most aspects of the gameday experience -- NOT the team's performance -- plus open-ended blank questions where you can present your views on anything.

I was generally positive. The new concessions are a definite plus (except for $11 hamburgers but that's becoming the norm outside of fast-foot places).
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

I doubt anyone ever looks at these surveys. In case they do, for sure include your negative comments on the sound system and awful announcer. At the end there's a section that allows you to include your name and phone number if you'd like to be contacted about any of your responses to the survey. I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever responded yes and actually been contacted.
VANDFAN
Rear Admiral

Post by VANDFAN »

Just turn off the speakers on the board or the press box. I'd think that would be a zero dollar 10 minute fix!
SuperDore
Chief

Post by SuperDore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:34 pm I really think a joint letter from a bunch of season ticket holders on this issue would be a good idea.

I have a basement full of amps and guitars and annoy the rest of the household blasting loud music, so I'm not some chaste fuddy duddy. But I can't stand them blaring loud music at games and ridiculous PA announcers screaming about every third down. Who is all of this directed at? Do young fans really respond. I don't think so. All of this mean less time for the band, whose dedication and practice gets less game time each year.
I think the main problem is the sound quality, let alone loudness. The treble is very scratchy sounding like a blown up speaker in grandpa’s 70s Toyota. No mid range. The sound is just so so annoying. Plus it muted the ref’s voice making it hardly audible.

I suggest we email to assistant director for fan experience: lauren.belisle@vanderbilt.edu to discuss this.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

Did I see a mention in another thread that the announcer would do the "everybody get hyped it's 3rd down" call when we had the ball? If so...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I will say that, while annoying, it does seem to be a trend...I went to a Bucs preseason game and it was "IT'S THIRD DOWN AND EIGHT TO GO!!!!" every time...super annoying
indysog03
Ensign

Post by indysog03 »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:12 pm The game experience, the loud music dominating everything, the OA announcer sounding like a juvenile loudmouth and the inability converse with the fan next to you was worse than the game and we all know how bad the game was. This can be fixed?!
Easily. Tell them to shut up and let the band play more.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Who is the PA announcer ?
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

Send your concerns to Candice.lee@vanderbilt.edu
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I sent an email to Candice about it....here is her answer...

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback— it is helpful to us. We have been reviewing different aspects of the gameday experience, and will adjust as needed.

We appreciate your support—
Candice
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 pm I sent an email to Candice about it....here is her answer...

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback— it is helpful to us. We have been reviewing different aspects of the gameday experience, and will adjust as needed.

Candice
A totally canned response that could apply to almost every email received .
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

OldDude wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:16 am
Nashmann wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 pm I sent an email to Candice about it....here is her answer...

Candice
Angela…send this S.O.B. #7
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

OldDude wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:16 am

Candice
I don't see what's wrong with her response.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic