Vanderbilt-ETSU game thread

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

bernstml19
Lieutenant

Re: Vanderbilt-ETSU game thread

Post by bernstml19 »

Hate to say it but...this is templey.

jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I wonder exactly what culture we are looking for
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

bernstml19 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:04 pm Hate to say it but...this is templey.
Yessir indeed!
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

We need lots of better players fast. Maybe Lea and Co. shouldn't poo-poo the transfer portal just yet.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Afraid Wright will be out. Sure looked like a shoulder separation
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is like Temple all over again. I wouldn't give a rat's behind if they fired Lea tonight. Disgraceful performance and an embarrassment to the university. I feel sorry for our players.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

I remember Abdur Rahman from like 4 years ago making some insane catches against Tennessee from Shurmur. I just saw him walk across the field. Hard to believe he's gone through the Riley Neal year and the 0-10 catastrophe after that and now an FCS loss with no catches.

I guess this is why you go to Alabama. Same reason you don't join a no name company out of school. It makes a difference to play with good players.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

VUPKS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:46 pmSee ya next year
Or next coach...

I do think first games with a coach do mean something. With Mason, it presaged what was, whatever some may contend, a predominantly unsatisfactory tenure. I recall that a change in culture was immediately apparent under DiNardo and Franklin. Does this mean Lea won't work out? It's obviously too early for any such conclusions, but it would be naïve to think that the fact that his team wasn't remotely ready to play isn't deeply concerning.

I remember being so impressed with Seals in his first start against TAM last year. What in the heck happened?
NateSY
Captain

Post by NateSY »

Well, as someone who sat through the Temple game start, delay, and end I’m eternally grateful I wasn’t able to attend this game.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

admin wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:20 pm This is like Temple all over again. I wouldn't give a rat's behind if they fired Lea tonight. Disgraceful performance and an embarrassment to the university. I feel sorry for our players.
It’s worse than Temple, and Seals played worse than Rivers. I don’t have a shred of hope that Lea is up to the job. I’m not convinced we’d win a game if we played an all-FCS schedule.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Random: I miss the Green Hills Krystal en route home.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:23 pm
VUPKS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:46 pmSee ya next year
Or next coach...

I do think first games with a coach do mean something. With Mason, it presaged what was, whatever some may contend, a predominantly unsatisfactory tenure. I recall that a change in culture was immediately apparent under DiNardo and Franklin. Does this mean Lea won't work out? It's obviously too early for any such conclusions, but it would be naïve to think that the fact that his team wasn't remotely ready to play isn't deeply concerning.

I remember being so impressed with Seals in his first start against TAM last year. What in the heck happened?
Just looked back and franklin's first was a 20 or win over Elon. If you also recall Temple that year I think was 7-6, the following year was 10-2 and their coach is now coaching in the NFL. This was an FCS team (maybe a good coach tho). This was not a good look and may be rock bottom
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Is Clark Lea a Bryce Drew hire?? All he did all game was stand there, deer in the headlights look, and rock back & forth was arms crossed!. This team played poorly and made stupid stupid penalties which most were just poor coaching. We were supposed to be better coached on the little things like avoiding dumb penalties. No fire from any coaches or players. Flat the whole game. I don't want to hear BS coach speak anymore. No more "Change the culture" or "This is a learning moment" stuff again! NO excuse to play that badly.
Last edited by Nashmann on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'm not ready to put this on Lea yet ... though they (the coaches) weren't exactly chess master level tonight in whatever strategy that was supposed to be. The talent is just not there and we knew this would be a process to make this program better. Tonight just lets us know where this program is starting that process. Buckle up and reframe your definition of success this season, it's just about game to game improvement.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

cc11316 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:53 pm I'm not ready to put this on Lea yet ... though they (the coaches) weren't exactly chess master level tonight in whatever strategy that was supposed to be. The talent is just not there and we knew this would be a process to make this program better. Tonight just lets us know where this program is starting that process. Buckle up and reframe your definition of success this season, it's just about game to game improvement.
Yep. This is a full-bore “down to the studs” (heck, we may not have even picked out a lot yet) build/rebuild. 1-11 with hopefully a few players showing some promise late in the season is the ceiling IMHO.Then, maybe 2-3 Wins next year, and so forth.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

bernstml19 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:29 pm I said in a few posts that this will be the worst team in school history. A mass exodus after a 0-10 season. Clark Lea will need 8 years to turn this around. Be patient.
8 years??? His team was favored by 21 and only put up 3 points. Against ETSU. And despite some of the comments on this thread, this team is not devoid of talent on offense. No excuse for what transpired last night. I hope Lea makes me eat a huge plate of crow, but I’ll go on record now and say he does not appear to be the coach of the future at VU. And nobody gets 8 years to turn programs around in the modern sports era, nor should they given what they are paid to generate results.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Agreed. Our offense has enough good players where we should be able to move the ball against a 1aa school. This is on coaching. Not sure what I expected with Raih but considering his recent time under kliff Kingsbury I was thinking of something a little more imaginative. I want to make a Karl Dorrel comparison but their backgrounds are too different. Only similarities are the terrible game 1 results matched with a scheme that doesn't take advantage of what talent we do have. Lea will need to fix this faster than Mason did.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

FayetteDore wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:27 pmRandom: I miss the Green Hills Krystal en route home.
But...but they're going to correct that intersection (in the next 10-25 years), and it will help traffic as much as renaming I-65 & I-124 thru downtown!
Locked Previous topicNext topic