Note on COVID discussion

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Note on COVID discussion

Post by admin »

Please discuss COVID only from the perspective of how it impacts Vanderbilt and college sports.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
vu2003rpl
Captain

Re: Note on COVID discussion

Post by vu2003rpl »

I’m trying to decide whether or not I think there will be fans at the Colorado State game … college friend lives out that way and I’d love to go.

But I suppose worst case we watch the empty stadium from the comfort of a Fort Collins brewery!
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

There seems to be a fine line here. Let me see if I can clarify this for everyone:

OK:
- Tennessean: Gov. Lee issues an order that mandates masks at all outdoor sporting events (link provided)
[THIS IS OK BECAUSE YOU HAVE DONE ALL FANS A SERVICE BY INFORMING OF THEM OF SOMETHING THAT WILL AFFECT EVERYONE WHO ATTENDS A VANDERBILT FOOTBALL GAME.]

NOT OK:
- Poster X: What an idiot that Gov. Lee is! Has he been listening to too much Fox News?!???
ALSO NOT OK:
- Poster Y: Hurrah for governor LEE!! This has been a long time coming.
[IN BOTH CASES, YOU ARE CALLING A POLITICIAN BY NAME AND EXPRESSING AN OPINION ON A POLITICIAN OR A POLITICAL POLICY. POLITICAL DISCUSSION IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE SPORTS BOARDS.]

OK:
- I'm not sure I'm going to feel safe being part of a football crowd or a tailgate this fall, not knowing whether everyone around me is vaccinated.
[FOOTBALL-RELATED, AND NOT POLITICAL]

NOT OK:
- Only idiots wouldn't get a vaccination! <--NAMECALLING
- Only a moron would think vaccinated people should have to wear a mask outdoors!! <-- SAME.
- This wouldn't be happening if the Democrats hadn't stolen the election. <--POLITICS
- Ken Seals is rewriting the record books the same way Republicans are trying to rewrite the history books! <-- NICE TRY, BUT IT"S POLITICAL
- Biden is losing it! <--POLITICS
- This is all Trump's fault! <--POLITICS
- I can't believe what's going on in Afghanistan. <--IRRELEVANT TO VU FOOTBALL
- I can't believe <famous ex-VU player> believes what he believes about mask mandates. <--THIS IS CLOSE. OUR EX-PLAYERS GET INVOLVED IN ALL KINDS OF THINGS, EVEN POLITICS SOMETIMES. IF YOU'RE JUST POINTING IT OUT AS A NEWS ITEM, PROBABLY OK. IF YOU'RE COMMENTING ON IT, PROBABLY NOT; IT'S JUST GOING TO BAIT OTHERS INTO STARTING A NASTY POLITICAL BACK-AND-FORTH.

We always try to err on the side of leniency. If you're not trying to be purely political and are making sense, we'll give you plenty of rope. None of the moderators want to play policeman/censor. Surely most of you know by now where the lines are. If it references a politician or controversial political policy, OR if it attacks someone else ad hominem... take it elsewhere. And if it's not somehow related to Vanderbilt football or is not promoting the general discussion for everyone... think hard before hitting Submit. If you see something that violates the rules, click the Report button, and someone will look at it.

Masks, vaccines, and the policies surrounding them are a touchy subject right now. Opinions are strong, but please respect others' views. This is generally not the place to stir that pot.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see nothing wrong with vu2003rpl's post. It is VU related because it's a game involving Vanderbilt and fans are trying to make plans.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Locked Previous topicNext topic