Clark Lea Wish List

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Clark Lea Wish List

Post by alathIN »

So he's already getting new facilities, big $ investment, etc.
What else would you put on a list of controllable achievable things that would help Clark Lea's tenure be successful?

I'll start:

1. Do not schedule tough OOC games for the foreseeable future. I know why we will go play Stanford or Notre Dame every yay often - for the revenue. Stop it. Vanderbilt football has plenty of revenue. Until further notice, schedule only "pay for a win" OOC games. Even Purdue or Colorado State. Just stop it. Vanderbilt does not have a strength of schedule problem.

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Clark Lea Wish List

Post by alathIN »

2. Priority registration for football players so they can arrange their classes to avoid conflicts with practices etc
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I'll say a loud AMEN to the priority registration.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

alathIN wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 am So he's already getting new facilities, big $ investment, etc.
What else would you put on a list of controllable achievable things that would help Clark Lea's tenure be successful?

I'll start:

1. Do not schedule tough OOC games for the foreseeable future. I know why we will go play Stanford or Notre Dame every yay often - for the revenue. Stop it. Vanderbilt football has plenty of revenue. Until further notice, schedule only "pay for a win" OOC games. Even Purdue or Colorado State. Just stop it. Vanderbilt does not have a strength of schedule problem.
It's going to be interesting to see what the SEC does with regards to scheduling. If the league goes to 9 conference games, will they drop the requirement to schedule a Power Five/Four team every year? Or does an expanded playoff actually increase the need to maintain that requirement?

I do agree that we can be better at scheduling, regardless of what the league mandates.
Vandy84
Ensign

Post by Vandy84 »

Seadog73 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am I'll say a loud AMEN to the priority registration.
Does Vanderbilt not currently have priority registration for all athletes?
I thought every school had priority registration for all sports.
It is common sense to do so.
Priority registration enables athletes to get the classes they need to stay on track and to avoid scheduling conflicts created by practice, film sessions....
It is a benefit for athletes, but the purpose of the benefit is to assist the student part of student athlete.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Vandy84 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:47 pm
Seadog73 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:52 am I'll say a loud AMEN to the priority registration.
Priority registration enables athletes to get the classes they need to stay on track and to avoid scheduling conflicts created by practice, film sessions....
It is a benefit for athletes, but the purpose of the benefit is to assist the student part of student athlete.
We do not. I remember a center on the basketball team changing majors because he couldn't get labs that didn't conflict with practice. He was in premed and went to something else.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

alathIN wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 am Until further notice, schedule only "pay for a win" OOC games. Even Purdue or Colorado State. Just stop it.
It's not that simple. We currently have to schedule one game against a Power 5 team. Purdue, as a low tier Power 5 team, fits the bill. Colorado State is about an average non-Power 5 team. It may be harder to schedule one who's worse in a given year, given that these patsies are in demand and sometimes playing for big pay outs that we can't offer. I agree that within the limitations that we have, we should schedule as easy an OOC slate as possible. The SEC schedule is hard enough.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

According to Bruno Reagan, as of last season Vanderbilt did not have priority registration for football players. Dont know about other sports but I suspect not.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

alathIN wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:26 pm
According to Bruno Reagan, as of last season Vanderbilt did not have priority registration for football players. Dont know about other sports but I suspect not.
And priority registration is super difficult for a football team. There are so many players and a lot of guys to work around. In addition, being a student-athlete is so time consuming and its hard to find times when you don't have something to do.

Part of the problem can also be that some labs are simply not offered at times that work. They may only be offered in the afternoons/evenings. So while you can give players priority for the lab that begins at 7pm so they're not stuck with the lab at 3pm or 5pm, it would be much more preferable to have a lab at 9am if you're an athlete.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

vandy05 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 pm

And priority registration is super difficult for a football team. There are so many players and a lot of guys to work around. In addition, being a student-athlete is so time consuming and its hard to find times when you don't have something to do.

Part of the problem can also be that some labs are simply not offered at times that work. They may only be offered in the afternoons/evenings. So while you can give players priority for the lab that begins at 7pm so they're not stuck with the lab at 3pm or 5pm, it would be much more preferable to have a lab at 9am if you're an athlete.

This is the same as the requirement to schedule power 5 OOC games.
Sure, there are immoveable obstacles you have to work around.
Within those limits, do the best you can not to sabotage yourself unnecessarily.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

alathIN wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:57 pm
vandy05 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 pm

This is the same as the requirement to schedule power 5 OOC games.
Sure, there are immoveable obstacles you have to work around.
Within those limits, do the best you can not to sabotage yourself unnecessarily.
Agreed. It will never be perfect, but there is more we can do.
Locked Previous topicNext topic