Reasons for Texas/OK request to join SEC

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Reasons for Texas/OK request to join SEC

Post by LawoftheWest »

The obvious reason for Texas and OK to join the SEC is money. But, there are twists to that, according to today's Austin newspaper, mostly relating to TV contracts.

The Austin paper wrote that the Big 12 wanted to extend its TV contract, which runs through 2024-2025, by at least five years. However, the paper wrote: "Texas does not want to extend itself that far in this environment." With NIL and possible playoff expansion to maybe 12 teams, Texas feels it's unclear what the TV rights will be in 2025. For Texas, this is about moving the most financially successful athletic department to the most financially successful conference. OK followed to not be left out.

Financially, the SEC is in better shape than the Big-12. Recently the SEC distributed $45.5 million to each of its members; the Big-12 distributed $34.5 million to each, although in a different year. However, it is not clear that if Texas and OK join the SEC, whether those distributions will be diluted.

TV contracts are the driving force in all of this. Texas receives an additional $15 million per year from the Longhorn network, which the paper writes: "would have to be accounted for somewhere else in a new agreement with the SEC".

Elsewhere I have read that the move to add Texas and OK to the SEC would require approval from 11 of the 14 SEC members. A&M would be a sure no vote. Missouri might also vote no. How would Bama vote, if they may no longer be the big dog in the SEC? Will other schools conclude that additional revenue from TV exposure in Texas and OK be enough to offset splitting the pie into more pieces?

On the internet I read that OK State felt betrayed, thinking this move has been discussed for 6 months. A Texas legislator with Baylor ties may try to block it, likely unsuccessfully.

Texas tries to dominate whatever they are involved in. Remember, they blew up the old Southwest Conference. Nebraska foolishly left the Big-12 because of Texas. I live about 30 miles north of Austin and have for years seen Texas' arrogance. I hope this never happens, as I feel it would not be good for the SEC or for Vandy.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Reasons for Texas/OK request to join SEC

Post by mathguy »

LawoftheWest wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 pm Elsewhere I have read that the move to add Texas and OK to the SEC would require approval from 11 of the 14 SEC members. A&M would be a sure no vote. Missouri might also vote no. How would Bama vote, if they may no longer be the big dog in the SEC? Will other schools conclude that additional revenue from TV exposure in Texas and OK be enough to offset splitting the pie into more pieces?
I read somewhere that "it was believed" that A&M would be the only 'no' vote ... and that they may also be feeling betrayed because of a "gentleman's agreement" that if you are the only school in the state, you get veto power over adding other schools from the state. But I guess that doesn't apply for fish as big as these two.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Reasons for Texas/OK request to join SEC

Post by alathIN »

It appears to me the motivation from the standpoint of the rest of the SEC is enlarging the TV market.
If Texas and Oklahoma are added to the content bundle, that is a huge number of new subscribers to the SEC Network.
If the crux of it is "Hey, SEC members: do you want to add a planetary mass of new income?" the answer has to be yes. I don't see how it can NOT happen.
Locked Previous topicNext topic