Alabama quarterback paid 7 figures already and he has never played

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Alabama quarterback paid 7 figures already and he has never played

Post by Golddore68 »

According to the SEC Media Days, the new projected starting quarterback for Alabama has been paid “seven figures” (which would be over a million dollars) by companies he’s advertising with to promote their products.

He’s never played one single down in college football. He was a five star but a lot of five star players don’t amount to anything in college. Butch Jones recruited a bunch of five-stars who didn’t amount to anything in college.

What if he isn’t very good? I thought that Bama’s powerful offense of the last few years was because of OC Steve Sarkanian, and he’s not there anymore.

This brings up what I see as a huge disadvantage to Vanderbilt. In the small college cities of Starksville. Tuscaloosa. Oxford, Lexington, Gainesville and even Knoxville, there are no other sports in these cities. The college teams are all the communities have. Local companies and restaurants will want the college players to endorse their products (and get big bucks). Ninety percent of the people there are avid fans of their college teams.

But in Nashville the local companies have other options of sports celebrities to endorse their products, Titans and Predators players. And 90 percent of Nashville doesn’t support Vanderbilt unfortunately. So Vanderbilt players won’t get the opportunities to endorse and make the money that other college players would have.

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Re: Alabama quarterback paid 7 figures already and he has never played

Post by alathIN »

There has been a thin facade over college football for many years, just enough camoflauge that those who want to be deluded that it is not a professional sport can still manage to remain deluded. The facade has been getting stretched thinner and thinner with every passing year, but still, talk of "student-athletes" has persisted and even, on rare occasions, been said with a straight face.

Now the facade has been stripped away and "student-athlete" has joined terms like "flat Earth," and "perpetual motion machine" as unmistakable signs of total insanity.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Isn't this just capitalism once you remove the NCAA impediment? I'm not sure I see the insanity in this yet other than the fact this is now professional sports disguised as an educational opportunity. But seriously, hasn't it always been that way? It's just out in the open now.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Nick Saban can’t be happy about this. He’s an old-school coach. He preaches dedication, being focused, no distractions. His quarterback is now being distracted by all this money thrown at him. Instead of spending time solely on the practice field devoted to learning and executing all the plays, the quarterback will have to spend time filming TV and radio commercials and showing up for company promos. Saban can’t be happy about this.
Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by Mrcommodore »

The thing is, I don't think you can analyze/predict the player NIL income by strictly looking at the promotional value that each player can bring to a business. I think most money will be pass-thru payments. Billy Bob Chevy isn't going to sell any more trucks because they have a picture of Left Guard Hamhocks on their billboard - certainly not enough to justify what they will pay.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Agree, legal pay-offs. But the kids create billions of dollars of value so deserve to get paid.

They need to pay all players the same or something along those lines or else this gets shadier even more quickly.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

How do we know this is true. Just because Saban said it? He has reason to promote this.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Mrcommodore wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:58 am The thing is, I don't think you can analyze/predict the player NIL income by strictly looking at the promotional value that each player can bring to a business. I think most money will be pass-thru payments. Billy Bob Chevy isn't going to sell any more trucks because they have a picture of Left Guard Hamhocks on their billboard - certainly not enough to justify what they will pay.
Exactly.
Billy Bob Chevy dealer was already happy to funnel big money to players and recruits with zero promotional value - as in, secretly and illegally.
Now he can claim it as a business expense and doesn't have to worry about getting caught
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

It's probably been true for years - but now that all this clandestine money is in the open, I think it will become obvious that the business of professional college football drawfs the NFL.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

dore74 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 am Agree, legal pay-offs. But the kids create billions of dollars of value so deserve to get paid.

They need to pay all players the same or something along those lines or else this gets shadier even more quickly.
They have BEEN getting paid. Free school. I didn't have the opportunity for a free education, did you? What scholarship money I got I got for busting my butt in the class room. They get scholarships for busting their butts on the field.

Now the argument might can be made that they deserve more, but you absolutely CAN NOT SAY they get nothing.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

dore74 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 am Agree, legal pay-offs. But the kids create billions of dollars of value so deserve to get paid.

Too late for that. That would have been my preference, too, but the NCAA held out for too long.
commadore wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:35 pm They have BEEN getting paid. Free school. I didn't have the opportunity for a free education, did you? What scholarship money I got I got for busting my butt in the class room. They get scholarships for busting their butts on the field.

Now the argument might can be made that they deserve more, but you absolutely CAN NOT SAY they get nothing.
I would think there is a very small percentage of college students paying their own way. I can see how athletic scholarships help parents, but not really the kids. Before full-cost-of-attendance (2016?) the student-athletes didn't see a dime (legally). And for decades before that, weren't allowed to hold a job.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Too late for that. That would have been my preference, too, but the NCAA held out for too long.
commadore wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:35 pm They have BEEN getting paid. Free school. I didn't have the opportunity for a free education, did you? What scholarship money I got I got for busting my butt in the class room. They get scholarships for busting their butts on the field.

I would think there is a very small percentage of college students paying their own way. I can see how athletic scholarships help parents, but not really the kids. Before full-cost-of-attendance (2016?) the student-athletes didn't see a dime (legally). And for decades before that, weren't allowed to hold a job.
So the athletic scholarship is helping the parents. Same damn thing. If I bust my butt to get a scholarship, which I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, should I get paid? Otherwise, it is just helping my parents.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I wonder if this could lead to discrimination lawsuits. Say Billy Bob Chevy in Tuscaloosa is paying the quarterback $25,000 to appear on a billboard promoting his cars. If there is a women’s basketball player who also is chosen to endorse cars by Billy Bob Chevy, and he only pays her $3,000 to appear on the billboard, would she be able to sue for discrimination?
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Golddore68 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:25 pm I wonder if this could lead to discrimination lawsuits. Say Billy Bob Chevy in Tuscaloosa is paying the quarterback $25,000 to appear on a billboard promoting his cars. If there is a women’s basketball player who also is chosen to endorse cars by Billy Bob Chevy, and he only pays her $3,000 to appear on the billboard, would she be able to sue for discrimination?

Lawsuits are filed for many reason, often frivolous. Plaintiff's lawyers wont take a case unless they think they can money, or make a name for themselves. So, yes, it is possible that some plaintiff's lawyer would take on this case. But, who would they sue? The car dealership for discriminating? It is a market deal. I think the court would accept a motion to dismiss and I doubt this would make it to trial.

I think a different issue is the morale of the team. The star QB gets $1million; the offensive guard gets, say, $1,000. How will this affect team cohesion? I don't know.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: gender discrimination lawsuit

Post by Versus75 »

Anyone CAN sue, but would the suit be successful? Possibly not by legal standards, but Billy Bob Chevy might cave due to the adverse publicity. Imagine if thousands of Chevy owners said, "I'll buy my next car elsewhere unless you pay the woman the same as the man."

How is it that the major professional tennis tournaments pay the women the same as men? The men play 3 out of 5 sets as opposed to 2 out of 3. They are on television much longer and generate far more paying commercials. They are better ... unless it is an old Bobby Riggs against a younger Billy Jean King.

"But we're going to pay the women the same because it's the right thing to do."

If the LPGA and the PGA merged, the women would likely get equal pay. That's ridiculous (meaning that it should be ridiculed), but that's the way things are these days.

The next shoe to drop will be to look at the race/ethnicity of the players and an attempt to even out the payments accordingly.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Even with kooky judges, the discrimination laws protect against discrimination in employment, not being retained for an advertisement. Now if universities start paying players or bestowing "extra" educational benefits to male but not female athletes, then you will have lawsuits.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:21 am Nick Saban can’t be happy about this. He’s an old-school coach. He preaches dedication, being focused, no distractions. His quarterback is now being distracted by all this money thrown at him. Instead of spending time solely on the practice field devoted to learning and executing all the plays, the quarterback will have to spend time filming TV and radio commercials and showing up for company promos. Saban can’t be happy about this.
Saban may not be happy about it, but his bringing it up at SEC Media Days wasn't out of disgust; it was telling all of those HS freshmen and sophomore QBs that if you bring your 5 star ratings to Tuscaloosa, you too can be a millionaire by your 18th birthday.
Locked Previous topicNext topic